TEAM SHELBY FORUM

If I swap from a stock to a 2.6" pulley, do I need to change the spark plugs as well?

Z-man

I have a 2008 GT500. So far the only engine mod is a JLT CAI and a tune.

If I change to a 2.6" blower pulley, and larger idler pulley, should I change to different spark plugs as well? Some vendors sell the pulley, and idler, in a kit that includes a new set of spark plugs.

My car is street driven with very limited track usage, so I'm not trying to wring out everly last HP I can, I just don't want to damage the engine if I'm supposed to change the plugs when I do the pulley swap.

Thanks for any input,

Z-man

It's not needed. I talked to Justin with VMP about this. Upgrade the plugs when your stockers are needing to be replaced.

Well, with both Justin and Rob saying it is not required, I feel confident in moving forward with just the pulley swap at this time. It will be quite a while before I wear out my stock spark plugs......that means I just 'found' a little more money for some other mods. :hysterical3:

(Rob - I was nice meeting you at the Saturday morning car show at Bash, even though it was very quickly. Hope to meet you again in the future :salute: Are you comming East for Carlisle?)

Well, with both Justin and Rob saying it is not required, I feel confident in moving forward with just the pulley swap at this time. It will be quite a while before I wear out my stock spark plugs......that means I just 'found' a little more money for some other mods. :hysterical3:

(Rob - I was nice meeting you at the Saturday morning car show at Bash, even though it was very quickly. Hope to meet you again in the future :salute: Are you comming East for Carlisle?)

I just did a pulley on Tana's 500 and I left the stockers in hers until they need replacing. It runs fine too.

I won't make it to Carlisle this year but hope to see you ant another event soon. It was good meeting you too ! B)

• 4 weeks later...

Is there any 'real' horsepower differance between a 2.6 and a 2.59 pulley? In theory, yes, but is the differance noticable in daily driving?

Is there any 'real' horsepower differance between a 2.6 and a 2.59 pulley? In theory, yes, but is the differance noticable in daily driving?

2.6 ??????

My new 2.59 pulley has the same strength and cross sectional area as the 2.65" pulley, but is 60 thou smaller in diameter for 400 more blower RPM.

2.6 ??????

My new 2.59 pulley has the same strength and cross sectional area as the 2.65" pulley, but is 60 thou smaller in diameter for 400 more blower RPM.

Metco lists their aftermarket pulley as a 2.6, not a 2.59. Using your math, that would only be a 67 more blower RPM. How much horsepower does that equate to?

Metco lists their aftermarket pulley as a 2.6, not a 2.59. Using your math, that would only be a 67 more blower RPM. How much horsepower does that equate to?

I don't know. But do not change for 0.01 difference. :doh:

I don't know. But do not change for 0.01 difference. :doh:

Absolutely agree with that statement, but I still have the stock pulley on mine, so just wondering if the 0.01 should even come into consideration on which pulley I utimately go with.....I'm guessing "no".

Grabber, did you buy your set up from Justin at VMP?

Or was it bought in components from different vendors?

I am referring to CAI, tune, pulley.

Its time for this upgrade and you seem really happy with your set up.

Thanks, Jim

Grabber, did you buy your set up from Justin at VMP?

Or was it bought in components from different vendors?

I am referring to CAI, tune, pulley.

Its time for this upgrade and you seem really happy with your set up.

Thanks, Jim

Jim,

I ordered everything from VMP.

When you go to his site he lists it all on the web page.

He has many combos to choose from. He sells the Ford Racing CAI with his tune and the Pulley combo kit or you can choose the JLT stuff to go with his tune because he deals in JLT products too.

You will be happy. If you lived in my town I would help you put the stuff on. I have done 6 of these installs and it is a snap. Let me know if you need any pointers. I could PM you my number if you need it. Just shoot me a PM when the time comes.

Rob

Thanks Rob.

Might be easier to just fly you down here. :) It is Shelby land down here. :happy feet:

Will send you a PM when the time comes. If you have an I phone, face time might work too.

I want to do this and get the Bangastang radiator cover. Know I need the CAI before I order the rad cover.

Will be in touch.

Thanks again.

Thanks Rob.

Might be easier to just fly you down here. :) It is Shelby land down here. :happy feet:

Will send you a PM when the time comes. If you have an I phone, face time might work too.

I want to do this and get the Bangastang radiator cover. Know I need the CAI before I order the rad cover.

Will be in touch.

Thanks again.

Talk to you soon.

Archived