TEAM SHELBY FORUM

MGW Shifter

NordicShelby

I just got off the phone with MGW and ordered the shifter for my new Boss here is a link to them http://www.mgwltd.com/mustang_2010-Present.shtml

They said it should be here within a month just about the right time for my 2013 302 to come home to daddy.

I asked if they have a discount for TeamShelby or Boss302forum members and she said YES 5% so I was really happy that I called and asked for this as I sometimes like to use coupons........

I just got off the phone with MGW and ordered the shifter for my new Boss here is a link to them http://www.mgwltd.co...0-Present.shtml

They said it should be here within a month just about the right time for my 2013 302 to come home to daddy.

I asked if they have a discount for TeamShelby or Boss302forum members and she said YES 5% so I was really happy that I called and asked for this as I sometimes like to use coupons........

Thanks Chad! I am still toying with the idea of going with the Hurst unit myself... But it only replaces the upper half of the assembly, instead of the whole unit like MGW... Will probably wait until I can get a chance to try out these others before I do any switching...

What's wrong with the stock shifter Chad, is it that bad?

I guess I don't know yet since I haven't even seen it much less drove it yet. The guys on the Boss302forum have given it Rave reviews and my sole intent of this car is for road course racing so I want to upgrade it with any performance mod I can do to it. I bought the Shelby/Revan radiator for it already. I know its probably overkill since the 2013's have removable foglight holes in the grill and hood vents but I plan on taking this car to its limit so if its going to make it faster I am in. You won't find me spending money on Apperance upgrades.

What's wrong with the stock shifter Chad, is it that bad?

The stock shifter is very comfortable, quiet and incredibly vague.

On track, when you try to make a 5th to 4th downshift, you can easily end up in 2nd - good for self taught car control lessons, bad for the Coyote.

The MGW is much more precise. Involved installation, increase in NVH but worth it.

"Incredibly VAGUE..."

That is probably the BEST way to put it :salute:

Still going to give it a shot "On Track" before I drop the $$$ on a MGW...

Or drive someone else's BOSS with one before I make my decision :hysterical3:

I respectfully disagree the boss shifter is vague.

The 350 shifter is vague and I have a MGW on order (3 weeks already and still not here) for the 350 but I would not switch the shifter on my boss. I think it is very good. If one of you guys want to let me drive your MGW boss, I'd be happy to put the shifter and your car to the test. :)

• 3 weeks later...

"Incredibly VAGUE..."

That is probably the BEST way to put it :salute:

Still going to give it a shot "On Track" before I drop the $$$ on a MGW...

Or drive someone else's BOSS with one before I make my decision :hysterical3:

Well after missing 3rd gear on numerous occasions (up shifting & down shifting) out at the track on Wed, including someone else (with lots more track time than me) driving my BOSS, and another new BOSS owner having the same problem with his car, it looks like the MGW Shifter is the way to go for me :spend:

Say what you want about the OEM Shifter, but I'm already tired of it and gave it a valid shot out on the track... Just hope it arrives in time for next month's Open Track out at Heartland Park or I might just skip the session all together... Not really worth it going into a sweeping turn at 120+ MPH and not being able to downshift into 3rd... And equally as embarrassing as getting on the gas and hitting 7,000+ PRM on the front straight only to accidentally shift from 2nd into 5th gear right in front of the Start/Finish Line...

463213_385427498166413_100000974983694_1004166_448476528_o.jpg

• 1 month later...

MGW Shifter arrived today (6/19) and is already installed... Only took 3 hours from Start to Finish without using a lift of having a helper with an extra set of hands...

Missed a couple of 3rd Gear Shifts @ Hallett during the Mid-America Track Events :peelout:

But after a quick test drive up and down the highway between 80-100 MPH, all I can say is that I'm glad I spent the $$$ and can't wait until I can get it back on the track...

Probably the biggest improvement is that the MGW Shifter is "neutral centered" right between 3rd & 4th Gear... Which is going to be perfect for out on the track :worship:

• 2 weeks later...

Practice, practice,practice guys. I've been racing for about 45 years,drags,slaloms,autocross,rallys and more. All very competively.3 speeds,4 speeds, 5 speeds,and 6 speeds. NEVER in my life have I ever missed a shift....ever. Get to know your tranny. This Boss 6 speed is the nuts! Very easy to shift without missing a shift.

The stock shifter SUCKS. I have had 3 track days on my Boss so far with the stock shifter and have missed many shifts. I wanted to try the stock shifter out first so I have something to compare it to and I will not go back out on the track again until I install the new MGW shifter.

As a side note Yesterday I went to BIR raceway and the car went into Limp mode while I was running it hard in a 3o minute session. The cylinder head temp was at 260 so now I MUST install the Shelby/Revan radiator that I bought months ago. I wanted to give the stock radiator a chance but that is not up to Par either.

Practice, practice,practice guys. I've been racing for about 45 years,drags,slaloms,autocross,rallys and more. All very competively.3 speeds,4 speeds, 5 speeds,and 6 speeds. NEVER in my life have I ever missed a shift....ever. Get to know your tranny. This Boss 6 speed is the nuts! Very easy to shift without missing a shift.

Me neither. Well said.

Thanks for the advice, but I really don't want to spend another 45 years "practicing" on how to shift... Considering I already have 30 years driving everything from Hi-Po Mustangs and Comets with 289's & Toploaders/T-10's to learning on my Dad's 200-6 Mustang Coupe with the "non-synchro'd" Dagenham 3-speed to 5 years of Open Track experience with a 2007 Shelby GT (Brembos & 4:10's)... And have NEVER missed a shift until tracking the BOSS :drop:

Next thing you are going to say is that the GT-500 Clutch and Transmission Grinding issues were all because of lack of practice :hysterical3:

MGW Shifter arrived today (6/19) and is already installed... Only took 3 hours from Start to Finish without using a lift of having a helper with an extra set of hands...

Missed a couple of 3rd Gear Shifts @ Hallett during the Mid-America Track Events :peelout:

But after a quick test drive up and down the highway between 80-100 MPH, all I can say is that I'm glad I spent the $$$ and can't wait until I can get it back on the track...

Probably the biggest improvement is that the MGW Shifter is "neutral centered" right between 3rd & 4th Gear... Which is going to be perfect for out on the track :worship:

Still missed shifts with the mgw? So, whats the point of spending the money and still can't shift it right?

Thanks for the advice, but I really don't want to spend another 45 years "practicing" on how to shift... Considering I already have 30 years driving everything from Hi-Po Mustangs and Comets with 289's & Toploaders/T-10's to learning on my Dad's 200-6 Mustang Coupe with the "non-synchro'd" Dagenham 3-speed to 5 years of Open Track experience with a 2007 Shelby GT (Brembos & 4:10's)... And have NEVER missed a shift until tracking the BOSS :drop:

Next thing you are going to say is that the GT-500 Clutch and Transmission Grinding issues were all because of lack of practice :hysterical3:

Geez. You guys. A couple days for find your shift points and your set. Thats it! And just maybe......some people just can't shift a car,period. So get a GT with an automatic and be done with it. The grinding????Maybe so

Still missed shifts with the mgw? So, whats the point of spending the money and still can't shift it right?

Haven't been back to the track with the MGW yet... However, based on a couple of high spirited runs on the divided highway behind my house, I can assure you that I won't be missing 3rd gear at ANY track event again...

Geez. You guys. A couple days for find your shift points and your set. Thats it! And just maybe......some people just can't shift a car,period. So get a GT with an automatic and be done with it. The grinding????Maybe so

Instead of arguing with us "guys" on some silly Internet Forum, maybe you should give George a call at MGW to discuss the WHY this shifter is a POS... Rather than duke it out via a keyboard with the WHO that don't like the stock shifter, no matter how much other people think they should... Drive On!

Lets see some track videos of your perfect shifting. I would like to learn something from an OLD pro like you..........

I have 2 hours of video from Friday at BIR I just have to figure out how to cut the video to 15 minute sessions and upload it to youtube.

Hey guys, I'm not bashing you. All I'm saying is get to know your transmission. There's nothing wrong with the boss tranny. Its better than the one in my gt500, that I traded for my Boss. Got to know the gt500's layout and it did fine.Just think the boss is better and smoother. When we all had Hurst shifters back in the 60s and 70s it was for strength. I slammed 3rd gear so hard racing a gt350 in my 70 roadrunner that the aftermarket sun tach popped out of the dash. When we pulled over to talk the guy in the gt350 said he had never seen anyone shift a car that fast. Its just getting to know your trans. A couple days is all it takes. And no offense to anyone here, but face it.......some people just can't get the hang of shifting. I've known a few and know they can't shift that fast or good,so they get an automatic.One tranny that was hard to shift was in a Pantera that had a gated shift. Now that was hard to do......but still doable.

Hey guys, I'm not bashing you. All I'm saying is get to know your transmission. There's nothing wrong with the boss tranny. Its better than the one in my gt500, that I traded for my Boss. Got to know the gt500's layout and it did fine.Just think the boss is better and smoother. When we all had Hurst shifters back in the 60s and 70s it was for strength. I slammed 3rd gear so hard racing a gt350 in my 70 roadrunner that the aftermarket sun tach popped out of the dash. When we pulled over to talk the guy in the gt350 said he had never seen anyone shift a car that fast. Its just getting to know your trans. A couple days is all it takes. And no offense to anyone here, but face it.......some people just can't get the hang of shifting. I've known a few and know they can't shift that fast or good,so they get an automatic.One tranny that was hard to shift was in a Pantera that had a gated shift. Now that was hard to do......but still doable.

Have you driven a car with a stock shifter and an MT82 six speed on the track?

These cars have a skip shift feature for EPA ratings sake. The shifter sucks, period!

I have many years of track experience in all sorts of cars and I still miss shifts, in fact so does Jimmie Johnson, Gary Patterson, Michael Schumacher and so forth.

Have you driven a car with a stock shifter and an MT82 six speed on the track?

These cars have a skip shift feature for EPA ratings sake. The shifter sucks, period!

I have many years of track experience in all sorts of cars and I still miss shifts, in fact so does Jimmie Johnson, Gary Patterson, Michael Schumacher and so forth.

Yes, I have,and yes it sucks,but you can overide it.Also, for the guys that don't the Boss' 6 speed, how about getting a T handle instead of the ball. It can make a world of difference. In fact,I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my Boss

• 2 months later...

I ordered an MGW for my car, and I don't race it. I did study the stock shifter and can tell you it WILL fail you once you put miles on it, and work it hard like you should.

The stock shifter has a shift rod guided by cushy rubber bushings and the rear alignment (attached to the body) is attained by a strapped rubber bushing with a "key lug" to hold it straight. These bushings WILL mush out and fail. Add in the engine torque under shift load, and the inherent twist of the shifter to the body and it will be impossible to shift correctly. Your "muscle memory" is moving the shifter to the right place, but the torsional twist of the drivetrain is causing your missed shifts. This design is complete BS! The mgw shifter addresses each of these weaknesses and will provide precise shifts each time. It is made with great precision, and utilizes urethane bushings on the shift rod, and a twin rod urethane bushed body anchor to arrest the twist. It is an amazing piece of workmanship. Check out this video series, it helped me make up my mind:

Thanks for posting the video. I haven't had a chance to install the MGW shifter yet but I can tell you that I do not like the factory shifter at all and I look forward to installing the MGW one. These videos make it look incredibly easy.

• 2 weeks later...

DA BOSS is right on point. I previously posted on the BOSS 302 Forum my experiences with the stock shifter. No complaints on the street but the moment you load the drivetrain on the track the soft bushings fail and the shift rods come out of alignment. It has nothing to do with the driver's ability to shift; fast or slow shifting up or down, once the driveline is loaded the shift rod will not allow you to shift until you completely unload the driveline. Needless to say you blew the corner.

Once I installed the MGW the shifts have been effortless on the track. Now if I miss a shift I am the only one to blame.

BossatVegas.jpg

I've just installed mine, it is a QUALITY piece of work, (and a pain in the butt to install) but the difference in precision of operation is immediately noticed. I have to install the heat shield and insulating materials yet before I try it on the road. The trans just drops in gears so POSITIVELY, even reverse. Well worth the investment, you will see for yourself what a POS the stock unit is once you disassemble the unit.

Assembling the unit between the driveshaft and floor can be patience trying, I must have dropped nuts and washers on my forehead 10 times, but it is doable, and that is the worst of the job.

Just finished driving my car, I love it more! That MGW shifter transformed the car, it's precise, shifts easily, and every gear is CAKE to get into including reverse. It has an authoratative CLUNK when you shift, and it is very quiet to boot.....................win, win, win!

Ford could have made it a CHECK on the option sheet. I would have gladly paid the extra coin, as many others feel too. I followed MGW's instructions to the tee, and mine is as quiet as the stock unit. I did however order the heat shield which adds another degree of sound installation.

I DID NOT install the adhesive sound deadener on the front support strut, or shift rod as advised, just the shifter base. I did install the rubber insulator under the rear support, I compressed the rubber pretty good. I also greased the reverse locating groove with the supplied grease.

Archived