TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2008 GT500 VS 2012 Boss302 how do they compare & would you trade

magrag

I bought my 2008 GT500 new ,but I am thinking about a new Boss 302. Has anyone driven a new Boss and how would you compare them.

Would you trade your GT500 for a Boss.

I have a 1970 Boss 302 and would like a new Boss to go with it, but I really like my Shelby.

Just asking opinions and maybe some first hand comparisons of the two Mustangs.

Thanks

Buy the Boss and if you can afford it keep the GT500

If your into road course racing I would without a doubt get the Boss

If your into cruising on the street and going fast in a straight line keep the GT500

There are many more GT500's on the road

Depends on what you use it for, I personally love the Boss 302. Stock I am not a Huge fan of the 2008 GT500, I think it needs to be dropped and needs some wheels, but that is just me.

You will more than likely miss the power, but if your into handling the Boss will smoke your GT500 all day long.

The sound with side pipe plates changed and red key make the Boss feel more like a 302-S .A stock GT500 is a few notches down from the Boss in road feel and the race car feel . It is hard to explain but when you adjust the dampers,open up the side pipes and use the red key you just have to drive them back to back.------------- UP DATE 3 / 2013------ I purchased the Boss used so I sold it for NO LOSS and went back to a 07 GT500 with 5K miles. The Shelby has that special feeling that I can't explain. Plus it's a S H E L B Y !!!

post-9597-0-50806800-1335273458_thumb.jpg

post-9597-0-50806800-1335273458_thumb.jpg

Would not trade my 07 vert for a Boss--why? 1) can't get it in a convertible 2) GT500 is more of a grand touring car than Boss 3) don't plan to track my car or any other I own 4) mine says "shelby" on the tail and CS' signature is on the dash. On the other hand, that side exhaust is really cool! I was at Detroit Auto Show and they had a Boss on it's side--you should have heard the comments about the side exhaust!

I'll keep mine.....

I've driven both...I bought a Boss. 444hp and awesome handling vs. 500hp (2008) and "go straight". EVERY review of the Boss has said "it's the best Mustang ever built"...there's a reason for that. Now...that said...they are different cars! You're not going to get leather, navigation, puddle lights, etc...etc...in a Boss. It's meant to be a GREAT track car. The GT500 is a GREAT touring car which is a very different set of requirements. The question then is not which is better but which best suits YOUR needs.

Good luck!

GT500 is a better platform to start with I think... I guess I'm more of a raw horsepower 1/4 type though. Suspension mods can be had at a reasonable price, and those are things you can piece in here and there. Engine mods are much more expensive. Not sure if you can feel "comfortable" with 700+rwhp in a boss 302 with 11:1 compression (i'm assuming they are close to the regular 5.0's in this aspect). I just added some longtubes and o/r x and when I stomp on it, it'll wake up the demons.

If I was in a boss 302 on the long deserted hwy in Mexico I would have been looking at the tail lights of my friends cammed/intake/full exhaust C6Z06, but he was looking at mine. :) To each their own...

I've driven both...I bought a Boss. 444hp and awesome handling vs. 500hp (2008) and "go straight". EVERY review of the Boss has said "it's the best Mustang ever built"...there's a reason for that. Now...that said...they are different cars! You're not going to get leather, navigation, puddle lights, etc...etc...in a Boss. It's meant to be a GREAT track car. The GT500 is a GREAT touring car which is a very different set of requirements. The question then is not which is better but which best suits YOUR needs.

Good luck!

Jeff,

You're absolutely correct about being "different cars", but at the end of the day - as this video demonstrates, a stock 2011 Shelby GT500 SVTPP still beats a stock 2012 Boss 302 LS... on the same track, on the same day, with the same professional driver - even if they personally would rather own the Boss.

This video is great.

All comments are fair, the BOSS is a track car and the Shelby GT500 more a drag racer...

but I wish I could see the same 2012 GT500 with lowered springs and R compound tires compete against the Laguna Seca...because the LS has that "track specific" type of equipment.

Jeff,

You're absolutely correct about being "different cars", but at the end of the day - as this video demonstrates, a stock 2011 Shelby GT500 SVTPP still beats a stock 2012 Boss 302 LS... on the same track, on the same day, with the same professional driver - even if they personally would rather own the Boss.

There is a HUGE difference between a 2011 SVTPP GT500 and a 2008 GT500, they are not even comparable.

There is a HUGE difference between a 2011 SVTPP GT500 and a 2008 GT500, they are not even comparable.

They are comparable, you had to have one to get to the other. Many 07-09 enthusiasts have gone futher than SVTPP has gone and upgaded shocks, struts, springs, supercharger/intake and added a Fays2 Watts link with a better wheel/tire combination. All adds upto a car that will compete any day of the week. You can always say "not stock to stock" but who doesn't modify thier cars, not to many people. Anyway, you are comparing late model GT500 to same late model GT500, same bad azz brotheren with same basic engine, same basic drive train and same basic suspension geometry. Most important, both are Shelby GT500s with enough power bone stock to satisfy 95% of end users.

They are comparable, you had to have one to get to the other. Many 07-09 enthusiasts have gone futher than SVTPP has gone and upgaded shocks, struts, springs, supercharger/intake and added a Fays2 Watts link with a better wheel/tire combination. All adds upto a car that will compete any day of the week. You can always say "not stock to stock" but who doesn't modify thier cars, not to many people. Anyway, you are comparing late model GT500 to same late model GT500, same bad azz brotheren with same basic engine, same basic drive train and same basic suspension geometry. Most important, both are Shelby GT500s with enough power bone stock to satisfy 95% of end users.

I will find out, I am about to trade my very modified 2007 GT500 for a 2012 GT500 SVT.

I am mainly motivated by the aluminium engine block and the more refined interior (Recaro etc...).

So basically, I agree with that idea, but there are certain basics that are hard to upgrade in the 07-09 (change the engine block and bring the interior to the current level).

Then there is the shape...but that is another story...I like both. I know there are thousands of opinions on that aspect!

Choosing between a 08 GT500 and a 2012 BOSS 302 is different, in my opinion, than choosing between a 2012 GT500 and a 2012 BOSS 302...

Finally, having a whole bunch of those great cars IS the solution, you are right Twicebitten!

What about a garage with: 08 Super Snake + 09 KR + 11 Super Snake conv.+ 12 GT350 + 12 BOSS LS + 13 GT500 :)

i have an 09 gt500 and a 12 boss 302. if i was comparing my gt500 when it was stock against the boss 302, i would take the boss if my decision was based on performance and fun to drive. the boss is quicker than i thought it was going to be (not too far off stock 09 gt500 acceleration) and SUPER fun to drive. you are a much more confident driver in a boss 302 because of the handling. awesome car. however, you can take the gt500 and have your cake and eat it too...and then some! ...if you mod it.

the boss is my wife's daily driver. she used to have an 08' bmw m3. she like the boss WAY more than the m3!

OK then take that same money and Supercharge the Boss and it will smoke the GT500 all day long.

Sorry but stock for stock is the only way to compare fairly

OK then take that same money and Supercharge the Boss and it will smoke the GT500 all day long.

Sorry but stock for stock is the only way to compare fairly

OK, stock for stock, same model years. What is the point? We all know the BOSS is great and the GT500 is great too. Most of us do anyway.

Edit: Most of us would agree the only way to have it all, would be to own both, that would be cool.

The premise of this comparison is faulty to begin with. For instance, who would compare a top of the line 2008 Intel PC processor chip with the similar application chip produced in 2012. No one... because doing so is laughable given the leap in technology. However, take a stock 2012 Boss 302 LS and the same model year Shelby GT500 SVTPP... and the Snake wins in a close match. It should for an additional $4k on the MSRP. The same comparo later this year of the 2013's isn't going to even be close... and it shouldn't be given the substantial increase in the Shelby's MSRP.

The premise of this comparison is faulty to begin with. For instance, who would compare a top of the line 2008 Intel PC processor chip with the similar application chip produced in 2012. No one... because doing so is laughable given the leap in technology. However, take a stock 2012 Boss 302 LS and the same model year Shelby GT500 SVTPP... and the Snake wins in a close match. It should for an additional $4k on the MSRP. The same comparo later this year of the 2013's isn't going to even be close... and it shouldn't be given the substantial increase in the Shelby's MSRP.

What about the B351? or B429? You can bet your bottom dollar Ford isn't finished.

"it's the best Mustang ever built". Referring to the Boss 302.

Have these people driven an '07- '08 GT/SC? or 625 HP GT350?

I think the Boss 302 is a lot of bang for the buck, but I can't believe it would keep up with one of the above mentioned cars with 6 piston brakes up front.

And I agree with the statements that the GT500, as it comes, is a cruiser. It is way too front heavy to be taken seriously on the track, I would think, but in spite of this it seems to do well in the right hands.

"it's the best Mustang ever built". Referring to the Boss 302.

Have these people driven an '07- '08 GT/SC? or 625 HP GT350?

I think the Boss 302 is a lot of bang for the buck, but I can't believe it would keep up with one of the above mentioned cars with 6 piston brakes up front.

And I agree with the statements that the GT500, as it comes, is a cruiser. It is way too front heavy to be taken seriously on the track, I would think, but in spite of this it seems to do well in the right hands.

Bottom line is comparing a stock 08 GT500 to a stock 012 B302 is not to fair to the GT500, the 012 Boss has 4 years of advances over the 08 anything. You are throwing even more apples and oranges into the mix with the 4.6 mustang, SC or not, big brakes or not. It also cracks me up how you throw your digs into GT500 when possible "Rev".

"It also cracks me up how you throw your digs into GT500 when possible "Rev"."

I bought the GT500 first, then the Shelby GT and had Shelby do the SC upgrade. So I use the term "familiar with both" with substance behind the expression.

The Shelby GT/SC is IMHO way better. It stays in the garage until play time. It is my favorite Toy Ever. And I have had a few nice ones. The GT500 has been lowered and got Tokicos, but still is just too heavy up front to handle as I would like it to. It makes a nice daily driver though. Not dissing the GT500. It's a great car. With an aluminum block it would probably be superior.

It is fair to compare both stock for stock. But in an investment standpoint I also I think it's reasonable to look at bang for the buck as far as upgrades. For $1k for(pulley,intake,tuner) (or less if you pick them up used) you are about 540-550rwhp... What could you do to the boss do with $1k? Nitrous?

Archived