TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT-H Aluminator enging build

JeffJ

Many of you know, the weekend before the Bash, I detonated the motor about two minutes after taking it off the dyno. Well, I finally got a chance this weekend to tear into it. Wow, I knew it threw rods out both sides of the block, but I certainly wasn't expecting this. I've never seen a piston compltely disintegrate like this. Some pretty amazing stuff. I thought I would start this topic with the carniage first before the build.

Damage5.jpg

Damage7.jpg

Damage1.jpg

Here's the remains of the piston in the pan:

Damage6.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I'll be doing it all myself. We're still not sure of the cause. I need to drop the tank and pull the pump. I'm still somewhat concerned with the fuel pumps. It may very well have been a lean condition. However the stock rods are not very impressive on these, so may have been a bit too much boost also. It shouldn't have been, but obviously something was too much!

Did you pick up a Oil Seperator yet?

Maybe a Whipple 550 would work better then a Paxton? :speedie:

Cannot use the 550 with the auto, only the 475 whipple & tune. Basically the non intercooled as I recall when I was looking at my options.

Cannot use the 550 with the auto, only the 475 whipple & tune. Basically the non intercooled as I recall when I was looking at my options.

I didn't know that and but I do know he would never get rid of his Paxton since he paid Shelby to install it. :superhero:

My guess would be too much boost heated up a Hypereutectic pistion where the top ring takes heat and then meltdown and you see the cunk missing from top ringland. Maybe with a bit of detonation to help it along.... Please keep us posted what the eventual cause is when you guys figure it out.

Interesting, sucks but not so bad congrats on the aluminator!!

Hoping to get the block pulled out tonight and drop the pan if I have time after work. I'm really interested to see all the parts in there! :hysterical:

I was able to rule out one cause last night. One tuner stated that he has seen one bad converter baloon which shoved the crank forward just enough to cause a fatal boom. I had just installed the TCI street fighter converter so gave that a far out possibility. When I removed the converter bolts last night, I was able to wiggle the converter in the flexplate just like it should. So no preasure against the plate there from the converter. So one possibility ruled out.

if you dont mind me asking and if you could pm me, what is the cost of an aluminator and what is the main differences between this and the "stock block"

I short the aluminator is more geared toward Suprecharged applications

The stock block is M-6009-463V*http://www.fordracin...tKeyField=10405

• New production Mustang 4.6L 3 valve short block assembled in Ford Motor Company's Romeo Engine Plant

• Aluminum block with cast iron crankshaft

• Production connecting rods

• Production hypereutectic pistons

• Includes oil pump

• 9.8:1 compression with 3V 50.3cc cylinder heads

and the aluminator is M-6009-A463SC*http://www.fordracin...tkeyfield=10374

• Fits 2005-2010 Mustang GT

• Forged steel 8-bolt crankshaft

• Forged steel H-beam connecting rods

• Forged aluminum 16cc dish 3 valve pistons

• New oil pump

• Uses M-6010-A46NA block, knock sensor bosses are not removed from the block

• Approximately 8.7:1 compression ratio when used with 50.3cc 3 valve heads

• Lower compression for supercharged applications

• Built with all NEW PARTS

• Will accept 3V cylinder heads

• Will not work with 2V or 4V cylinder heads

• 8-bolt flywheel required (not included)

JPC racing had a real good deal on the Aluminator a few weeks ago for $3,200 shipped. Amazing is the fact that it was delivered from Livoinia, MI the next day. I ordered it Tuesday morning before the Bash, Yellow Freight called me on Wednesday while I was in line checking into the hotel in Vegas stating they had a delivery from Ford Racing. That is service!

However I used this Aluminator, not the SC application with the lower compression. JPC and others I've talked to, stated they only use this one. The lower compression motor is really hard to drive on the street unless you are always building boost. Too low of compression where it has little bottom end power until you get boost. However with all the forged internals, this will hold far more power and boost than I will be putting to it.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12039

Here's the best picture yet. Here's the contents of the oil pan. Not sure what I was worried about, the piston was right there in the pan the entire time. See, piston, rings, rod, it's all right there!

120_0084.jpg

Jeff is there a serial number on the block for the aluminator? It should be on the passeneger side of the block if there is one. I didn't see a serial number on the box from your photo.

John

Yes, FRT adds this plate to the right rear of the engine:

120_0087.jpg

I'm learning that putting an aluminator into an 5R55S auto tranny car is not just a plug and play operation. There is no 8 bolt flexplate which just works for this. On one you have to enlarge holes to fit the converter bolts, on another you have to space it....on and on. Best and cheapest solution appears to be using a truck V10 flexplate part number 1C3Z6375BA. Still not a simple bolt on. Here, if you are using the stock converter or a TCI, you must take the stock converter adapter plate to a machine shop to reduce the overall diameter about 1/4" to fit in the diameter of the flexplate. I already have the TCI converter, so this I must do. Oh boy! If you have a PI converter, you do not use the stock adapter plate, so there are no clearance issues, simple plug and play.

Here's the best picture yet. Here's the contents of the oil pan. Not sure what I was worried about, the piston was right there in the pan the entire time. See, piston, rings, rod, it's all right there!

120_0084.jpg

WOW! Good thing the screen on the sump did it's job, you wouldn't want to suck up all that crap!!!!

:hide:

WOW! Good thing the screen on the sump did it's job, you wouldn't want to suck up all that crap!!!!

:hide:

Yea, cause that could have damaged something! :hysterical2: There is pretty much nothing useable from the engine. I found pieces of block in the water pump! Unbelievable where I'm finding parts and pieces! Might want to cut the oil filter apart and see what is in there!

Wow, that was a major implosion. I like the oil pan pic - it's almost a piece of art :)

Indeed!

I have a piston with a valve stuck in it from the factory and for some reason ART is cast into the piston, I will try and post a pic later super funny.

Archived