TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Re-united with my 1965 Convertible

1BAD500

35 years ago when I was 15 years old I bought a very rough 1965 Mustang Covertible for $430.00. It was my first car. I spent the next 2 years of my life and every penny that I could scratch together to retore that old car. I got it looking pretty good and even took a couple of trophys at local shows.

When I went off to school I needed some money, so I sold the car to my Dad. It broke my heart but I needed the cash.

My Dad, who is not a car guy, kept that car for all of these years, under a cover in his garage just covered with boxes!

I had asked him many times to sell it back to me and it just never happened.

Since then I have owned many other Mustangs, and currently have a 40th Anniversary Shelby GT500, but had always hoped that someday I could get back my 65...

Well a couple of months ago I finally caught him in a weak moment and purchased the car back from him! I immediatly called Reliable Car Carriers to have it shipped from Ohio to my home in Arizona before he could change his mind.

I love the fact that I have my old car sitting in my garage next to my Shelby! The 65 needs to be gone through again but it still looks good, and runs well.

I plan on restoring it to a very good driver, and have even been considering painting it to match the Shelby.

My kids who are aged 15-24 just get the biggest kick out of seeing that old car and can't believe that it was my very first car!

I had a lot of great memories with that car and I am sure that it will give me many more.

35 years ago when I was 15 years old I bought a very rough 1965 Mustang Covertible for $430.00. It was my first car. I spent the next 2 years of my life and every penny that I could scratch together to retore that old car. I got it looking pretty good and even took a couple of trophys at local shows.

When I went off to school I needed some money, so I sold the car to my Dad. It broke my heart but I needed the cash.

My Dad, who is not a car guy, kept that car for all of these years, under a cover in his garage just covered with boxes!

I had asked him many times to sell it back to me and it just never happened.

Since then I have owned many other Mustangs, and currently have a 40th Anniversary Shelby GT500, but had always hoped that someday I could get back my 65...

Well a couple of months ago I finally caught him in a weak moment and purchased the car back from him! I immediatly called Reliable Car Carriers to have it shipped from Ohio to my home in Arizona before he could change his mind.

I love the fact that I have my old car sitting in my garage next to my Shelby! The 65 needs to be gone through again but it still looks good, and runs well.

I plan on restoring it to a very good driver, and have even been considering painting it to match the Shelby.

My kids who are aged 15-24 just get the biggest kick out of seeing that old car and can't believe that it was my very first car!

I had a lot of great memories with that car and I am sure that it will give me many more.

That's a great story. You might want to consider sending it to one of the Ford Mags.

Phill

I bought and restored my 1966 Mustang Convertible while in college and used it as an everyday driver until I purchased a new 1989 LX 5.0 upon graduation from College. It has only been out and about for pleasure use after I purchase the 1989 LX.

In January 2008, I sold the 1966 to get my 08 SGT Convertible. My Dad could not believe after owning it for 22 years that I was going to sell it, but I could not afford 2 toy cars and did not have the space where my wife could still park her vehicle in the garage too. When Dad saw that I was seriously going to sell it (was in the process of placing the ad), he quickly stepped up and bought it from me saying it was too good of a car to let get out of the family...so I knocked off $5,000 and sold it to him! To me, it was worth $5k less to keep it in the family.

The reason I tell you this is now fast forward to this past Easter weekend. All of the grandkids were over with us at Mom and Dad's house for Easter dinner...all 17 grandkids! The older ones in the range of 14 to 17 yrs old are all boys, and have been drooling over that car for a while, but Dad never gets it out and drives it...infact, I have to tell him to do so to keep it in good shape. Patrick, the oldest of the boys had been asking to have my Dad get the car out and take him for a ride for most of the day, but there were several cars blocking the garage and driveway, and Dad was really not in the mood to start the "circus rides" since he was busy helping with the cooking...about 16 out of the 17 would want a ride if it did come out.

Patrick came and got me and asked if we could atleast take the cover off, and I agreed. Two minutes later...he uttered those words "Uncle Andy, can you take us for a ride? Do you know how to drive this one" (Is he a natural born salesman or what?). I simply said "If you can get all those other cars moved, then I'll take you for a ride." Needless to say, he had all the adults moving cars in no time!

I fired her up and that was all it took - mufflers only (no resonators on the old 289) because in no time we had most of the grandkids surrounding the car...all the boys could say was "Nice!!!!!!!" turning a one sylable word into about six. I pulled it out of the garage, and load after load, took everyone for a ride in the neighborhood.

On the last round, Mom had asked me to run up to the local grocery store and grab some desert plates before they closed. I took one last repeat load of a few select kids....my son and then Patrick - along with me. After running back out from the store with what we needed, I pulled away and into the entrance to my parents subdivision, then pulled off to the side. I looked at Patrick and said "Think you can take us home?" as I hopped out of the drivers seat...I don't think I've seen a kid smile that big in quite a while. He eased us on home, and pulled up in the driveway where most of the kids were still milling about. He became an instant hero with all the other boys as he got out of the car.

Simply made my night to know that my old car can still entertain boys/kids (and men) of all ages. Once they figured out that I was the owner of the car who did all the work on it over the last 22 years, they asked questions for about the next hour starting that illness that we all have called "Mustang-itus"...I warned them that the only cure is to buy a Shelby!

Andy.

Truly a great story. I suppose that is why I wanted mine back so much. There is a lot of history with that old car, and it is fun to have it back now. I am at a different age (50) now and I appreciate the car in so many different ways than I did when I was 15. I get so much enjoyment out of peoples reaction to the car and the story behind it.

If someone could explain to me how to post some pics, I would be happy to do so.

Truly a great story. I suppose that is why I wanted mine back so much. There is a lot of history with that old car, and it is fun to have it back now. I am at a different age (50) now and I appreciate the car in so many different ways than I did when I was 15. I get so much enjoyment out of peoples reaction to the car and the story behind it.

If someone could explain to me how to post some pics, I would be happy to do so.

If you look in Team Shelby "General Automotive Discussion" then scroll down to a Pinned Topic you will see "how to host your post photos with photobucket". this should get your pictures posted to go with that wonderful story.

Good luck and keep us posted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Excellent story, and congrats on getting the old car back, usually they are lost forever. My daughter always wanted my '64 1/2 'vert, so she finally got it last year, restored and painted to her liking, picture attached. Keep your kids involved, they will want yours soon... :happy feet:

post-39072-0-82325600-1355353074_thumb.jpg

post-39072-0-82325600-1355353074_thumb.jpg

Great stories! My dad restored and sold the all black '24 T in this pic before I was born in '71. He used the money to buy the '10 T next to it from another car guy named Bill Harrah! Fast forward 35 years and dad bought the '24 back. I even met all three owners in between my dad on a Model T Club tour a couple of years ago! Gotta love the positive caster on the T's... :hysterical3:

DSC03659.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived