TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rick's ( Shelby#18) Super Snake 427 Vert Build

Most of you that have been to the Bash's and other Shelby events know Rick (Shelby#18) by his pair of gorgeous 1000 HP+ Ford GTX-1's. He has a Blue one and a Tungsten one. Very few know that he also has a pair of 07 Shelby's convertibles too...the Super Snake 427 shown in this build and another 40th Anniversary that we are going to do a build on at a later date. Not only does Rick have a great collection of cars, most importantly, he is a heck of a nice guy. I am proud to have gotten to know him the last several years.

This build actually started last week, but with multiple family members in Palm Springs for Spring break and Easter, I have had no spare time in the evenings to post the pictures. So here are the pictures starting from last week.

Here is some of the parts we ordered waiting install:

4-5-12001.jpg

4-5-12002.jpg

4-5-12003.jpg

4-5-12004.jpg

4-5-12005.jpg

4-5-12006.jpg

4-5-12007.jpg

4-5-12008.jpg

4-5-12009.jpg

4-5-12010.jpg

4-5-12011.jpg

4-5-12012.jpg

4-5-12013.jpg

4-5-12014.jpg

4-5-12015.jpg

More in a bit, just had a customer walk in...

Alex

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's some more pictures before any parts were installed from early last week:

4-5-12018.jpg

4-5-12019.jpg

4-5-12020.jpg

4-5-12020.jpg

The first order of business was to remove the rear end from the car. It had considerably less rust than most of the cars we do my RBST package too:

4-5-12024.jpg

4-5-12025.jpg

4-5-12026.jpg

4-5-12027.jpg

4-5-12028.jpg

4-5-12029.jpg

4-5-12030.jpg

New rear differential cover going on. Not only does it hold more oil and cool the rear end more, it also strengthens the rear end main caps as it has a hardened load bolt for each cap.

4-5-12031.jpg

New billet lower control arms on with spherical bearing for proper articulation on axle end and urethane bushing on frame end. I have used these for years on 900+HP cars with no issues. The Tokico rear shocks are fully adjustable too with out going under the car. I use a braided steel extender so that the trunk lining doesn't need to be removed to adjust too.

4-5-12032.jpg

4-5-12033.jpg

4-5-12034.jpg

More to come...

Alex

All take off parts are for sale....Super Snake rear brake ducts, rear Eibach springs, adjusters, and shocks, stock exhaust manifolds, Bassani X-pipe with high flow cats, etc. Contact me if any of you are interested in the take off parts.

4-5-12035.jpg

Stock manifolds off and header install started. I have 2 sets of headers too if anyone is interested.

4-5-12037.jpg

4-5-12038.jpg

4-5-12039.jpg

Now the headers going on. Besides the Dynotech headers making the most power and torque, they are the only long tubes that allow the trans to come in and out with out removing or loosening them. Why are we not doing the SPEC clutch now? Well, we need to do the power enhancements and data log the car first, so after all the power stuff is added and the tune is perfect, we will then do the clutch. The clutch requires 300 easy break in miles.

4-7-12001.jpg

4-7-12002.jpg

4-7-12003.jpg

4-7-12005.jpg

4-7-12007.jpg

4-7-12008.jpg

And now the rear end...we degrease, sand, etch, prime and then paint the rears with 3-4 coats of epoxy paint. Rears I have done 5 years ago, still look new.

4-7-12010.jpg

4-7-12011.jpg

4-7-12013.jpg

More to come later...

Alex

Sent you an email

I can't wait to see how this exhaust come together. Is that little piece a cat or some kind of small muffler - I've never seen either one that small. Aren't the "diameter" of the side exhaust a lot smaller than the rest of the exhaust?

I promise before I go to sleep to post more pictures Steve of the mods for the 33530's....My Dad is in town and we are going to watch a movie. When he goes to sleep I will post some more...

Alex

Ok...Movie is done. Thank you for the comments as always, Dan, and DeWayne, I replied to your email. Steve and Dewayne. Keep watching the build as things go on...I don't want to spoil it by posing pictures ahead....LOL

Here is some more pictures of the rear end and the modifications we do do the wheel well to make the 33530ZR20 Pirelli tires to fit. I have the rims widened to 11.75" I have a guy in CA do it for me and he guarantees the wheels for life against coming apart and for over 200 MPH with no vibrations. It takes alot of work to make the huge tires fit, but is well worth the time and effort for looks and much better hook up!!

Last shot of painted rear before it went back in. We use a chase to clean the paint off the threads of wheel studs when done:

4-7-12014.jpg

Now for the bump stop bracket removal. We drill the spot welds out, the trim the bracket flush with the frame rail, then clean, undercoat and paint the wheel well to make it look factory.

4-7-12015.jpg

4-7-12016.jpg

4-7-12017.jpg

See...can't even tell it was there now....

4-11-12007.jpg

4-11-12008.jpg

Now for final touches on the rear end...

4-11-12004.jpg

4-11-12005.jpg

4-11-12004.jpg

Then back in the car....with H&R rear springs, polyurethane isolators, and Tokico shocks. Every 40th owner and SS owner complain about the rear end clunk. This set-up eliminates the clunk.

4-11-12009.jpg

4-11-12010.jpg

4-11-12011.jpg

4-11-12012.jpg

Now for the relocation brackets for the lower control arms. They have to be welded in completely square, so we always do them when the rear end is in the car. The relocation brackets make a huge difference as far as keeping the lower control arm parallel to the ground and making the rear of the car more predictable. Hook up is very important, so most of you need relocation brackets and don't even realize it.

4-11-12013.jpg

4-11-12014.jpg

4-11-12015.jpg

4-11-12016.jpg

4-11-12017.jpg

Now for some shots with the 33530ZR20 tires on. These are my wheels/tires for my new Boss 302 as Ricks Super Snake wheels are being widened. Finished product will be the same though.

4-11-12023.jpg

4-11-12024.jpg

4-11-12025.jpg

4-11-12026.jpg

4-11-12027.jpg

Exhaust tomorrow....

Alex

Alex, you must have Rick tell you the story of the drunk lady who fell in his car head first, feet in the air at the Harley Cafe. This is no joke.

I'm very interested in adding the quad exhaust to my 40th and will be in touch with you soon. I hope some day to have the opportunity to see this fantastic build you two have put together.

Don

Dan (Blown Away): Thank you for the comments, as always!! The tires are Super Wide. The ones on Rick's car right now are actually for my Boss 302, which STILL isn't here yet, so I put them on Ricks car, until his are back from widening. Ricks car will get a full detail when it is all done. It is still dirty from all the bad weather on the way back from the BASH!! See you and Laura next week!!

Don (gt67): Yes, I will be sure to ask Rick when I talk to him next. He is at his farm with his family right now and doesn't have any cell phone or internet access for a while, so he will get to see all the updates on his car when he returns. Follow along with the quad exhaust install. It is done now and sounds great, but was a HUGE job to do...

Greg (dbackg): Thank you...almost the same build we did on your Super Snake Vert two years ago!! Time flies.

Michael (mywickedshelby): The car was actually moved today as it was in the way. We had to put Sherri's 40th there and yours next door. Ran it up and down the street. Glad you are enjoying the builds, as usual....hehe...See you on Wednesday!!

Sherri (msmap) Yes, when the stickers are savable, we save them...Sorry I couldn't talk on the phone earlier, My Aunt and Uncle came to visit that I haven't seen in 4 years. See you on Sunday!!

Here are some more install pics.....You can see the 4" 1 piece aluminum driveshaft and the quad exhaust install...we installed the 2.5" X-pipe with high flow cats, then after, we notched the X-pipe and added the 12-13 Boss 302 side pipes. It took over 10 hours to get it all to work with the convertible braces and the X-pipe, but with some fabrication, trimming, spacers, a some new Ford Intermediate pipe sleeves we got it all together for a factory type install where the side exhaust exits under the rear of the rocker.

4-11-12018.jpg

4-11-12019.jpg

4-11-12020.jpg

4-11-12021.jpg

4-11-12022.jpg

4-11-12028.jpg

Next we did an oil change and added the K&N 2010 filter.

4-11-12031.jpg

4-11-12032.jpg

Now for the Afco Racing heat exchanger with duel fans. I prefer this brand over the others out there and you don't have to wait 2 months or more to get them!!

4-7-12021.jpg

4-7-12022.jpg

4-7-12023.jpg

4-7-12024.jpg

4-7-12027.jpg

4-7-12028.jpg

4-7-12029.jpg

The hideous front plate bracket will be coming off...LOL

4-11-12002.jpg

4-11-12003.jpg

More to come...stay tuned....

Alex

335's fit. I highly recommend the watts link to keep the rear centered.

if you use spacers get the smallest ones = 1/8", however, I think it would be better to fit and road test the 335's and see where the tires rub on the inner wheel well and then soft hammer mallet the rub points.

Can't wait to see more pics and video with good audio recording of that exhaust. She should sound wicked good.

DSCN7677.jpg

Well I'm now back from the farm , and settling back down to city life. Here's a photo of me on my highest powered Ford.

Thanks all for the kind comments. Alex is just so darn knowlegable about what items work / don't work for what my goals are that it makes it a pleasure dealing with him. I'm looking forward to see the end result in the next couple of weeks. I'm sure I'll be pleased.

DSCN7677.jpg

Well I'm now back from the farm , and settling back down to city life. Here's a photo of me on my highest powered Ford.

Thanks all for the kind comments. Alex is just so darn knowlegable about what items work / don't work for what my goals are that it makes it a pleasure dealing with him. I'm looking forward to see the end result in the next couple of weeks. I'm sure I'll be pleased.

Nice "Green Acres" pic Rick... :hysterical2:

Welcome back to the rat race!!!

Dan

Too dang funny Dan........................I'm not the only one that had the theme song from Green Acres pop in my head.

Great pic of you working the farm Rick and the 427SS is coming along fantastic. The mods you have chosen......perfect. :worship:

Do I spot the very rare two speed transfer case Ford 9N there? I have one just like it! You do have good taste in Fords sir!

DSCN7677.jpg

Do I spot the very rare two speed transfer case Ford 9N there? I have one just like it! You do have good taste in Fords sir!

Too dang funny Dan........................I'm not the only one that had the theme song from Green Acres pop in my head.

Great pic of you working the farm Rick and the 427SS is coming along fantastic. The mods you have chosen......perfect. :worship:

Your car I looking great. Way to go Alex. Fantastic build.

Nice "Green Acres" pic Rick... :hysterical2:

Welcome back to the rat race!!!

Dan

Thanks all. You guys are the best, and dating yourselves in the process. Sean it is an 8N and yes it does. I cruise to town at a wopping 26 mph down the highway on it. Granted maybe I'll see one or two cars on the way and back.

Thanks all. You guys are the best, and dating yourselves in the process. Sean it is an 8N and yes it does. I cruise to town at a wopping 26 mph down the highway on it. Granted maybe I'll see one or two cars on the way and back.

:club: My bad. Hard to tell from that picture however! I started driving mine to the local "mercantile" for soda and candy when I was about 10. :shift:

I didn't know it was that rare - I have one too

That's three of us! I've only seen one other when participating in some of the tractor gatherings around our area.

Rick,

I tried to shoot you a PM but for some reason you can't get anymore.

Your SS is looking amazing. What do you have up your sleeve for the 40th?

Bob

Hello Bob,

I sent you a pm., I don't know whats wrong with it either. Thank you for the comments. As for the 40th. I haven't decided on anything yet. The 40th is only used once a month to and from home (24 miles). And I want to see how I like the mods on the Supersnake first. That one is used much more often.

Archived