TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Air Filter replacement

No CAI on my car, but the factory filter is pretty dirty--several bits of hemi, chevy and toyhondissan stuck in it and I see K&N makes a replacement filter.

Would you recommend this as a oem replacement or pass and go back to the fomoco filter?

Thanks!

Any reason for not wanting to go with a CAI? It is definitely a bottle neck on these cars.

From what I have read, the panel style K&N doesn't gain much if at all. So it depends on if you want a washable/reusable filter or a disposable Motorcraft.

If he gets the CAI, the car will need a new tune. I just bought the K & N filter for my girl's new 5.0, the box says they worked with Ford Racing to develop it and a graph clearly shows it flows more air than the stock paper one. There was an article in 5.0 Mustang magazine last year that showed a guy ran 11.99 in a brand-new Boss 302 and all he did was install slicks and the K & N replacement air filter.

I don't want the cai and the tune that has to go with it. I'm just wondering if the k&n carries the same type of lean mix problems that the K&N cai does. The K&N cai says it doesn't require a tune, but everyone agrees that it does. Does the drop-in require a tune? If so, I'll just go with the fomoco filter.

I don't want the cai and the tune that has to go with it. I'm just wondering if the k&n carries the same type of lean mix problems that the K&N cai does. The K&N cai says it doesn't require a tune, but everyone agrees that it does. Does the drop-in require a tune? If so, I'll just go with the fomoco filter.

It does not require a tune as the stock MAF housing is retained.

Archived