TEAM SHELBY FORUM

CAI.. opinions please

venom

I have a stock '08 GT500 with SW 3" system (manifold back offroad X, S tube mufflers, stock headers)

I had purchased an XCAL3 with Jon Lund custom tune mated to the SW exhaust and now I'm looking to add the Cold Air kit.

I was eyeing up the JLT but see there are many verions out now. Wondering which would give me the most bang for my buck and which place to order from ?

When you buy a tune, they usually ask you what CAI that you have so they can dial it in correctly. Make sure you check on that. Justin with VMP could help you resolve that very easily and e-mail you a tune for your hand held tuner.

You can buy both the JLT or the Ford Racing CAI from VMP. He stocks both. VMP buys the Ford Racing CAI's from the manufacture (Roush makes them for Ford) and you dont have to use the Ford racing tune with it. Justin can provide a tune for the JLT or the ford Racing CAI. If you Don't have a pulley, I would highly recommend it because it adds more boost and about 30-35 HP...and a hole bunch of wow factor and more whine from the SC blower.

You can't go wrong with JLT or VMP.

I have the JLT CAI and I have the VMP 2.59 Pulley with the aftermarket look.

003-5.jpg

012-3.jpg

013-1.jpg

015-1.jpg

016-1.jpg

017-1.jpg

My wife has the 2.59 Pulley with the Ford Racing CAI with the VMP tune for it.

008-8.jpg

009-5.jpg

010-11.jpg

008-4.jpg

012-5.jpg

022-5.jpg

023.jpg

007-3.jpg

Grabber. Thanks for the advice and pics. I don't have a pulley puller and really not crazy about investing in one and doing it myself at this point.

I think added the CAI to balance out my freebreathing exhaust will be good enough for me at this time.

Question for everyone: Will the overall value of the car decrease increase or stay the same by adding a CAI and tune?

• 2 weeks later...

Do you guys recommend an e-mail tune rather than going to a dyno shop? I checked into a dyno shop with parts, labor, dyno time, etc., they gave me an estimate for $1800. That's a JLT 123MM, SCT X3, and the Metco 2.6 with aux. idler. That seems a little steep to me. Maybe I'm crazy??!!

• 1 month later...

I read somewhere, can't remember where. That cai were a waste of money. Wish I could find where I read that. Y'all wanna elaborate :-)

On 2010 or newer. They already have a Cold Air Intake.

Phill

I read somewhere, can't remember where. That cai were a waste of money. Wish I could find where I read that. Y'all wanna elaborate :-)

Did you read that on the Mitsubishi eclipse website?

:confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Great topic, I am currently looking for a CAI for my 08 GT500 which has had a Super Snake hood added prior to my ownership and the hood scoop air opening is sitting neatly on top of the stock air box cover

so the forced air has no place to go. I have been told that the FRP kit with the programmer at a thousand bucks will get me 40HP more and that any change in the intake would require reprogramming. any input would be appreciated. Thanks 08GT5004ME

This is what I have. It is a nice starting point. Worth the money.

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?p=catalog&parent=105&pg=1

Great topic, I am currently looking for a CAI for my 08 GT500 which has had a Super Snake hood added prior to my ownership and the hood scoop air opening is sitting neatly on top of the stock air box cover

so the forced air has no place to go. I have been told that the FRP kit with the programmer at a thousand bucks will get me 40HP more and that any change in the intake would require reprogramming. any input would be appreciated. Thanks 08GT5004ME

\

I have been told that the FRP kit with the programmer at a thousand bucks will get me 40HP more and that any change in the intake would require reprogramming. any input would be appreciated.

Ford Racing Performance Parts (FRPP) has a Mfgr. Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $929.00. You can get it for cost +10% from Tousley Ford with no sales tax (plus shipping).

The FRPP CAI comes with the Ford Racing Pro-Cal (i.e. Tuner) and Calibration (i.e. Tune) designed specifically for *your* car, not a "general tune" made for multi cars.

Link: http://fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=9880

Phill

Sending you a PM about a FRPP CAI with Pro-Cal tuner for sale and looking forward to meeting you on the PCR "Snakes at the Lake " cruise and seeing the ride!

Archived