TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2012 GT500 w/ SVTPP Lower Springs

Roush GR40

I just had the Ford racing parts M-18000-G SVT PP shocks/struts and lowering springs installed on mine. Greatly improves the "look" of the car as it sits much more level. Haven't road tested it that much yet in order to tell of any handling advantages.

I just had the Ford racing parts M-18000-G SVT PP shocks/struts and lowering springs installed on mine. Greatly improves the "look" of the car as it sits much more level. Haven't road tested it that much yet in order to tell of any handling advantages.

According to the Ford Racing website, those parts are alrady part of the SVTPP which was an option on my car. Looking to go a little lower still. Can't stand to see so much wheel well above the rear wheels.

Do you have any pictures that you could post of you car with the setup?

According to the Ford Racing website, those parts are alrady part of the SVTPP which was an option on my car. Looking to go a little lower still. Can't stand to see so much wheel well above the rear wheels.

Do you have any pictures that you could post of you car with the setup?

I'll try to get some pics in this week. From my understanding, and what I've seen, the SVTPP does not have the lowering springs as part of that option package. I had the same issue with the 1970's jacked up look in the rear- couldn't stand it. The car now sits completely level and noticeably, but not dramatically, lower to the ground.

I'll try to get some pics in this week. From my understanding, and what I've seen, the SVTPP does not have the lowering springs as part of that option package. I had the same issue with the 1970's jacked up look in the rear- couldn't stand it. The car now sits completely level and noticeably, but not dramatically, lower to the ground.

PS...if you look at the spec sheet on the M-18000-G package, it says, "Shocks/struts are original equipment on 2011-2012 Shelby GT500 Performance Package option". The M-5300-L lowering springs are a separate component in the M-18000-G overall package.

I have a 2012 with SVT package. I had installed M-5300-L 2007-2012 MUSTANG SVT 1.25" LOWERING SPRINGS and I love how my car looks now...!!

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=9882

You can read that the car will be lowered 1.25". it's recomemnded to add Mustang Jounce Bumper Kit M-5570-A & M-18183-C Strut Mounts

A few weeks into my install, I'm pretty pleased. Ride is a tad stiffer, but just barely. The improved looks are the biggest benefit. And, it was a pretty easy way to upgrade a non-SVT PP car to SVT PP suspension - that is, as long as you buy the entire package and not just springs.

Be advised you will have to have the car realigned.

I have a 2012 with SVT package. I had installed M-5300-L 2007-2012 MUSTANG SVT 1.25" LOWERING SPRINGS and I love how my car looks now...!!

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=9882

You can read that the car will be lowered 1.25". it's recomemnded to add Mustang Jounce Bumper Kit M-5570-A & M-18183-C Strut Mounts

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Amigo,

looks GREAT!!!! I do have a white GT500 with SVT PP as well ... how much did it come lower (FR says 1.25 inches however the SVTPP is already somewhat lower than stock , I guess 11 mm and 8mm...)what wheel size and tire size do you ride?

Thanks so much

tex

I do have a white GT500 with SVT PP as well ... how much did it come lower (FR says 1.25 inches however the SVTPP is already somewhat lower than stock , I guess 11 mm and 8mm...

FWIW, 8mm is 5/16ths of a inch and 11mm is a hair over 3/8" (13mm is 1/2").

The FRPP lowering springs lower your car 1.25" in the front and 1.5" in the rear (to level it out) so the SVTPP springs are not nearly the same as Ford Racing FR3 springs.

Phill

Finally got around to installing the lower springs today...decided to go with the Eibach Pro Kit and love the results over the SVTPP springs. The front and rear both dropped 1". Although the drop is not quite as dramatic as others, I am wondering if I should also change the panhard bar to the adjustable type to center the rear axle after lowering. Also, I decided to change the strut tower mounts to a set from Steeda...but they didn't fit. Apparently the factory strut tower mounts in 2011 - 2012 GT500's are the same as from the 2010 car. When Ford upgraded other Mustangs (GT, Boss and V6) in 2011 they did NOT change the GT500. Had to order a new set for Steeda for 2005 - 2010 Mustangs. They are a much more durable unit with roller bearings and allow for more flexible alignment settings. Back to Piedmont Custom Motorsports next week for the install.

DSC_5051.jpg

DSC_5052.jpg

1st post. Long time GT owner and as of last night, am now a 2012 Shelby owner.

Lowering the car is first on my list, where is the best place that you guys have found to buy the FRPP Springs from?

Tousley Ford = Cost + 10%.

Phill

• 4 weeks later...

Just to make sure I have this right- I have a 2011 w/ the SVTPP option. All I would need to install (besides the springs obviously) is the bump stops, right?

For those who have done the install, is it something an average home-garage mechanic like myself could do alone?

Just to make sure I have this right- I have a 2011 w/ the SVTPP option. All I would need to install (besides the springs obviously) is the bump stops, right?

For those who have done the install, is it something an average home-garage mechanic like myself could do alone?

You will need a spring compressor for the front springs. I bought one from Harbor Freight cheap when I did mine. Others have taken their struts and new springs to a shop and paid a nominal fee to have them installed.

Either way, it's pretty easy to do with standard tools. You will need a good jack and 4 good jack stands.

Phill

Guys,

I was reading that due to the aluminum block engine, the 2011/12 GT500 would not lower 1.25inches on the front... is that true??

THX

Tex

They're 120 pounds lighter in front so that's likely true. I can't tell you how MUCH less or if it's fact but reason says, *slighty* less drop w/120lb less front end weight.

Phill

They're 120 pounds lighter in front so that's likely true. I can't tell you how MUCH less or if it's fact but reason says, *slighty* less drop w/120lb less front end weight.

Phill

Makes sense.

No one is selling specific springs for the alumium block GT500 (11-13)...?

Eibach and FRPP not. For sure.

Archived