TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Alternatives to Rivets for Scoop install

The guy that will install my scoop has never installed rivets & is nervous about it, so he's suggesting we install using nuts and bolts type. He's worried about not putting the rivets in straight, likes the install control that n 'n' bs offer, & trying to avoid the shifting that can occur & damage stripes.

I know the fasteners will have to be aluminum, but so far I haven't found any that look good enough for the car. For me personally I'd like something that matches the silver stripes of my '08 Vista Blue GT, and is more low-key.

- Anybody have any ideas for alternatives to rivets? I'll take all ideas at this point, though I do like how subtle the original rivets are.

- Has anyone had any trouble widening the holes on their scoop? Just in case I find a nice fastener with a little larger diameter.

- Anything we should know? We're aware that the hood consists of two layers, and we do have the install guide/instructions.

Thanks for your help.

Search old posts on rivet nuts, in my opinion the only way to go. Remounted my hood scoop using this method and turned out fine and you can torq them down as needed.

Someone here smarter than me should be able to pull my post on this. It was not very expensive and I had a body shop do it. Remember to take care in the rivet removal so all that stuff doesn't fall through to your motor. Put a sheet under the hood. On my car I had an exceptional body shop and they removed the hood. Some do and some don't. GG

Rivet Nuts worked like a charm for me. (I removed the OEM scoop and replaced it with the Chip Beck/Heath Lhoste version) I'm not a master mechanic, but it was a pretty straight forward install, especially if you've ever used a "Pop Rivet" type tool.

Some points to remember:

1. Get the alignment/positioning set properly before drilling any holes!

2. Drill carefully, (cover your engine), and don't drill the topside holes to large.

3. Yes, the hood is double-layered! Topside holes on the outer layer are the size for the rivet - bottom side holes on the inner layer are larger so the rivet doesn't pinch the two layers together and cause dimpling!!

4. Fastenal can usually locate and supply the bolts/rivet nuts in aluminum.

Sam

Take Sam's advice and call Fastenal, they can hook you up and know what you are asking for when you call. They were not very expensive. GG

Wasn't there a specific order to rivet the scoop down in? To not warp the scoop.

Wasn't there a specific order to rivet the scoop down in? To not warp the scoop.

With the Beck/Lhoste scoop, no, the material is very rigid and it laid quite nicely on the hood, (no gaps), even without the bolts! If there is some flex with your scoop, I would recommend starting at the back-center and work towards the front, alternating sides as you go. You may also have to adjust the tension on individual bolts to get an even gap - this is the beauty of bolts versus rivets!

Sam

The guy that will install my scoop has never installed rivets & is nervous about it, so he's suggesting we install using nuts and bolts type. He's worried about not putting the rivets in straight, likes the install control that n 'n' bs offer, & trying to avoid the shifting that can occur & damage stripes.

I know the fasteners will have to be aluminum, but so far I haven't found any that look good enough for the car. For me personally I'd like something that matches the silver stripes of my '08 Vista Blue GT, and is more low-key.

- Anybody have any ideas for alternatives to rivets? I'll take all ideas at this point, though I do like how subtle the original rivets are.

- Has anyone had any trouble widening the holes on their scoop? Just in case I find a nice fastener with a little larger diameter.

- Anything we should know? We're aware that the hood consists of two layers, and we do have the install guide/instructions.

Thanks for your help.

I used aluminum machine screws from Lowes !! I really wanted to use a stapler but mine was broken and I couldn't find my nail gun

I had both scoops on my SGT's boted in place using some allen head machine screws and aircraft locking nuts underneath. Micro fasteners has all kinds. The stripes were repalced first then the scoop was put into place with 3M tape. We then drilled th hood in the places on the scoop. I had already pre countersunk the holes inthe scoop where the riviets go and touched up the silver paint. The shape of the screws we used fit down into the scoop and when we finished the small round allen head recess is very similiar to the hole in the middle of the rivet where the shank pulls out when the head deformes adn the shank breaks off. We used stainless steel hardware. Been on the car for three years and haven't had any issues with them. Wnenn

I was going to use rivnuts on mine. One concern I had is that the bottom edge of the scoop is tapered such that a straight in bolt will not seat down flush without digging into the paint. I decided to just go ahead and use the aluminum rivits provided by Shelby. They sort of twist into place flush on the scoop and were effortless to install properly.

Eventually, I may change out to the rivnuts, but it was a simple job to just finish it with the factory supplied parts.

Thanks all for the replies. I need to go take a closer look at all these options. It looks like people are using a washer or something with the rivnuts?

Definitely using aluminum. Have already dealt with the electrolysis issue at both hood pins.

No washers required - but drill the hole accurately!

I'll try and find the close-up pictures I had and repost.

Sam

First off, thanks for all the posts on this, as I am currently in the process of having my stripes painted on, as well as replacing my hood scoop with the newest version. Somebody had a really good suggestion in using Button head Socket screws rather than the supplied rivets. I thought this was a really good point in that it allows flexibility for scoop removal later on, as well as slight adjustments (tightening or loosening) should this be needed in a particular section of the scoop. ALso, appearance wise, it looks very good.

Does anybody see any negatives in using these Button head screws, with a correspoding hex lock nut underneath? Of course, these need to be AL, and not SS.

Thanks

Archived