TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is the Car Cover the same one from 2010-12?

txcobra

Hate to bring up such a trivial question but I have 2 of the factory car covers and frankly, I think they suck. They are so abrasive I am afraid to use them. If they are improved at all, I'd like to order it with the car, if they are the same, I won't waste the $375. Does anyone know for sure? My guess is they are the same.

If you plan on keeping it in the garage, order the ones from Shelbystore. They are like the cloth used to wipe glasses. So smooth and the integrated stripe is awesome. The outside is like a synthetic nylon and the inside that contacts the paint is like super soft fleece. I think the price is similar and you can customize the colour to match your car and stripe as well as have the vin sewn into the tag.

I had one of those for my 40th and I agree....far superior to the "factory" one. I was just curiousto see if anyone had advance info on whether the cover for the 2013 was improving or if it was the same one. If it's new and improved, I will order one with my car, if not...I will pass and get the one from Shelby.

• 2 months later...

http://www.the-cover-store.com/CarCoverSearchResult.aspx?Type=car&Make=FORD&Model=MUSTANG&Year=2013&Pattern=C17124

This link shows the car covers for ford by the manufacturer. Fords is 375 dollars the last 2 on the website are 350 and 420. So does anyone know which cover is ours? If its the 350 one that ford is marking up (probably this one) then it should be fine since it says it has a smooth interior to protect paint. If its the 420 on then I think it may be a bad cover since that one doesn't say its smooth underneath.

I've been following all the great info shared on this forum since ordering my 2013 back in march. I decided to chime in and share what little bit of info I have.

I found out that the factory cover is designed for outdoor use as well as indoors. I to, like others, have deleted the factory cover from my order and have sinced ordered a cover from bangastang. They sell the covers from Shelby. I ordered a color matching(grabber blue) with the black stripe and Shelby logo. They sell both indoor and outdoor covers. The cover I ordered is strictly indoor, made from Lycra with fleece lining. Received it 2weeks ago and are very impressed. By the way, the folks at Bangastang said the covers for 2012s are the same as the 2013s.

I've been following all the great info shared on this forum since ordering my 2013 back in march. I decided to chime in and share what little bit of info I have.

I found out that the factory cover is designed for outdoor use as well as indoors. I to, like others, have deleted the factory cover from my order and have sinced ordered a cover from bangastang. They sell the covers from Shelby. I ordered a color matching(grabber blue) with the black stripe and Shelby logo. They sell both indoor and outdoor covers. The cover I ordered is strictly indoor, made from Lycra with fleece lining. Received it 2weeks ago and are very impressed. By the way, the folks at Bangastang said the covers for 2012s are the same as the 2013s.

Yes I found out the covers we will be getting from the factory are the 425 dollar covercraft weathershield HD (heavy duty) covers. The covers from shelby are not good for outdoor use as they are too thin. This cover we are getting is the best outdoor cover from cover craft. I called them and talked to them and read literally like 80 reviews on it and they all said if your careful putting it on then there will be no paint scratching. They said the paint could only get scratched if there was some kind of debri on the car and you yanked the cover off so it rubbed all the crap on your paint. But if you roll it off carefully and slowly then there will be no damage caused by the cover.

I need a real good cover because my car will be outdoor all the time so it needs to be protected from sun, snow, and rain.

SVT13,

Where did you get your information? I contacted Covercraft and they said that they do make covers for Ford, but not the 2013 GT500 factory cover. They did make the 2010 GT500 factory covers and the material used for was weathershield gray not the HD.

I also contacted Ford Marketing and they said the material was a light weight gray fabric, they are researching the manufacturer and material and will let me know. They said it might take up to 5 business days for a reply.

Ford Part Number for 2013 GT500 car cover - AR32-19A412-A

Here is description of the cover from Fords website:

Shelby GT500™ Full Vehicle Cover

The Shelby GT500™ car cover is constructed of gray WeatherShield™ fabric that features the Nextec® encapsulation process for excellent protection and compact storage. It features a “Cobra Snake" image (in black) on front and Shelby script (in black) at rear. Includes storage bag (sewn in cover) with “Cobra Snake" image (in black).

It appears that the WeatherShield fabric is exclusive to Covercraft according to their website. It will be interesting to see what Ford has to say on the subject.

From Covercrafts website.

WeatherShield- Great Protection Indoors & Out!

Our high-performance fabric - a Covercraft exclusive.

SVT13,

Where did you get your information? I contacted Covercraft and they said that they do make covers for Ford, but not the 2013 GT500 factory cover. They did make the 2010 GT500 factory covers and the material used for was weathershield gray not the HD.

I also contacted Ford Marketing and they said the material was a light weight gray fabric, they are researching the manufacturer and material and will let me know. They said it might take up to 5 business days for a reply.

Ford Part Number for 2013 GT500 car cover - AR32-19A412-A

Here is description of the cover from Fords website:

It appears that the WeatherShield fabric is exclusive to Covercraft according to their website. It will be interesting to see what Ford has to say on the subject.

From Covercrafts website.

You could be right.I just looked at the description that said weathershield and had the nextec / Epic process which only their HD and HP covers had that were in the 300 to 450 range. And since the pictures of the weathershield HD matched what the ford cover looks like and the reviews had some people complaining about the harsh interior from this forum and the reviews on the cover sold my cover craft I just put 2 and 2 together. Plus on the fordspart website they are both 420, so I'm assuming they are the same. But like I said I could be wrong. I've never seen this cover in person. I just started digging because I got nervous that the cover may harm the interior. It's suppose to be the best outdoor cover weathershield has from my understanding.

Same here on my '12. Any cover will scratch the paint if the car is not clean when you put it on. I've had no issues with my factory cover (although I mainly use it in my garage to keep dust off)

Archived