TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Importing a GT500 and shipper recommendation.

stmarcink

We used Gran Turismo from California to Missouri and would recommend them. Not sure if the can help you all the way. They had a full load of GT 350s delivering from SAI when they brought my car home.

Good luck!

Without a doubt use InterCity Lines. After the original delivery from Barrett Jackson, they moved my Cobra twice and delivered my GT. One time the Cobra's bunkmate was a 300SL Gullwing. When the GT came it's roomie was a 300SL roadster. Huge amounts of trust to move vehicles in that class

I bought my GT500 from a dealer in Michigan and had it shipped in, this avoids the state tax but you still have to pay HST

I just used Mackie transport (Lisa) to ship to the 50th bash and they were absolutely the best customer service ever, kept me aprised all the time and the car was in perfect condition, pricing was great also

Message me if you want more info

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought my 68 in Texas and had it shipped to Detroit. I then went and drove it home. This was around 2005 so things may have changed. But at that point I had done my research and had no trouble. The main thing is getting it OUT of the states. You have to stop at US Customs and get paperwork from them showing that they know the car is leaving. The key there was filling out a form and faxing it to them at least 2 weeks in advance so they can do research to make sure the car isn't stolen. I'm not sure I believe they really do that. Anyway, once I had that I continued over the bridge and told the guy at the booth I was importing the car and he sent me to secondary inspection. There's more paperwork there and paying taxes and duty if applicable. Again, do your research and you likely will be able to have the paperwork filled out before you go down. Also, make sure your car is allowed to enter the country. GT500's are fine I think but there is one model of Shelby that isn't allowed in as I recall.

Once here the daytime running lights can be activated at any dealer.

Good luck!

Gregg

• 1 month later...

Just a little feedback on this post. I had no problems at the border. I faxed my paper work to customs 3 days in advance and had my insurance and title for the drive through Michigan. I had Reliable Auto Transport pick the car up in NC and ship it to Michigan. I picked it up from their warehouse and drove it home to Ontario. Top notch service all the way!! Only hiccup was the border officer in Detroit asking me what plate I had on the car, he told me it was illegal because it was registered to my truck and asked me to take it off. As soon as I got to Windsor I put it back on and drove the rest of the way home with it on.

• 9 months later...

Archived