TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby CS8 without Baer Brakes - Friendly Opinions and Advice

socalwrench

7 members have voted

1. 1. Can the car be considered a CS8 without the Baer brake kit?

• Yes, it's only one item.
    • Yes, but the car would still need an upgraded brake system.
    • No, the car must have the Baer brake kit.

As many of you know, my CS8 build is still going as of this thread start date. I am due to buy a set of Baer Plus GT brakes. However, after numerous reports of rotors cracking and brake bleeders leaking, I am not willing to buy the Baer set. I can spend the same money on a much better set of Wilwood 14" brakes, OR the Brembo 14" brake set. I can get them in the same size and in 2 or 4 piston configurations, and I can get rid of the drilled rotors in the process. If I was not trying to build a CS8, I would buy the Brembo kit.

Here's where the opinions come in. Will you, the CS community, recognize the car as a CS8 if it has the Brembo or Wilwood kit instead of the Baer brake kit?

Thank you for the friendly advice.

My baers have never leaked. As far as my opinion on the rotors, I have never cracked one of mine either. Car has been on the track many times. If you are tracking the car to get the brake rotors hot enough to crack, isn't that considered a wear item? I would think so. IMO, you gotta pay to play.

My opinion on the brakes for your car is this. The Baers were period correct for your car, I would put them on. The take off 500 brakes were not, and the Wilwoods were not used until recently on newer cars.

Keyword above on a 500, the wilwoods are an upgrade to the stock brembos as are the baers upgrade.

You asked for opinions and mine is, if you are building a CS8 why not use the correct parts. Wilwood nor Brembo were optional on the CS8 kit.

Edit: My point is you are getting the fascia that Robert has came across, why would you deviate from the true kit with anything but the Baers.

Yes, I asked to opinions. It just seems that the Wilwood kit would be an upgrade too. I've have faith in that brand. My thinking is if I'm going to spend $2000 on brakes, why not just buy the best from the start? And, the Brembos I was thinking of are the fancy set with the two piece rotors too; not the SVT ones.

Surely, someone else would like to chime in here.

Greg, If you are looking to get the turn 1 or turn 2 plaque you have to purchase everything on the CS part's list. Belive me I know. I talked to Shelby about this very thing and was told it would not be fair to guy's that have all the required parts. I agree with their postion and have excepted it. This is the ONLY way they have of keeping the CS6/CS8 a "defined" Shelby car.

That being said I fear that once the dash plaque has been issued if you change "ANYTHING" (wheels,brakes or anything) then the "defined" car is no longer eligible for consideration as a CS car even thought it has a plaque. in my opinion you cannot have it both ways, this goes for any Shelby.

I'm not sure how much value to place on my opinion but I'll share my thoughts since I've been following these cars for a while.

If your seeking to get your car authenticed as a Shelby CS6 or CS8 full turn 1 or turn 2 car, then I would say you need to complete the package as it was inteneded to be built. However, at this time I'm not even sure if you could get all the parts needed to complete the build. If you are able to get the complete kit / parts list would SAI still "Authenticate" the car at this time? I thought I read here that there were no more stripe kits, front bumper covers, grilles, or plaques availible. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. That would be the deciding factor it it were me building the car.

If there is no longer a way to "Authenticate" it as a Shelby by SAI, then it would not matter what you do. It would only be considered a clone / replica / tribute original parts or not. If that is the case, then you could do anything you wanted and enjoy it the way you want it. I do think asking your question here is going to get the same general answer. The folks in this section are the true CS enthusiasts, many of which are owners who have gone through the trouble and time to put their cars together following the SAI guidelines to get thier car authenitcated as offiical Shelby CS cars. What someone does after their car is authenticated is entirely up to them. As wth many Shelby vehicles the owners modifiy there cars to their tastes after the fact and they are still considered a Shelby, only not stock concours originals.

Many of the parts are discontinued. I have been collecting parts for a long time. Unlike most Shelby enthusiasts, I've never had enough money to buy a complete car. It is what it is.

I don't know if SAI would authenicate anything at this point, and I was told a long time ago that the plaques weren't available even with authentication. Either way, it didn't matter to me. I have always thought of the CS cars are Shelby Mustang kits. It was a unique offering that made it possible for me to have a Shelby designed car. This is why I asked the question regarding brakes. The answer is obvious for Baer only from the CS community.

I've owned two CS8 and built a third one. I can tell you that my first car had everything except the front grill. And, no one approved of the car being a CS8. I sold the car and got a full, one shot deal on a Turn II kit with the plaque. Now my car is recognized, registered, and approved. I've got the certificate, the numbered plaque on the supercharger and even kept the color to its original design, blue. When I heard that the CS6/8 wasn't going to be available anymore, I purchased all the replacement parts I could find. I have almost three of everything except the hood. I could actually build a complete second model. Long story short, I would suggest to stay true to the car. With time, plaque or not, it will be worth it.

Sorry Greg but if you're after authentication then it's black & white - you must use the Baers. After that point do with it as you will but if you stray too far from original at what point does it simply become a modified mustang again?

I've had that same question at the front of my mind when modding Violet - she looks very much like a stock CS6, that's my plan, but has quite a few mods (all of which are reversable with varying degrees of effort) see my sig. Having said all of that I bit the bullet and purchased a complete turn2 kit to ensure it's place on the registry (sold my other stang to do this as I'm not made of money either).

• 3 months later...

One of things to note with the BAER brakes is that they have a very specific set of procedures to break in the rotors. Not following their procedures to the letter may have resulted in the stories of damaged brakes/rotors.

Archived