TEAM SHELBY FORUM

09 Red KR Wanted with Nav

Hey guys, help me out, ......never bought a car in the US before. Is it just a matter of getting a title for the car? The owner should be able to furnish one in their name? How do you check for liens, etc? Carfax the best for information in the US? Still haven't found one but I'm sure when I do, it is more likely to be a US car vs. Canadian.

Thanks,

Frank

Hey guys, help me out, ......never bought a car in the US before. Is it just a matter of getting a title for the car? The owner should be able to furnish one in their name? How do you check for liens, etc? Carfax the best for information in the US? Still haven't found one but I'm sure when I do, it is more likely to be a US car vs. Canadian.

Thanks,

Frank

Frank,

If they have title "in hand" more than likely there is no lien. I don't know of any secured lien holder that won't hold the title as collateral. Carfax is very reliable but not 100%- if someone paid cash for repairs then it might not show on the report (ex- smacked fender. Removed fender and brought into body shop for cash repair and then reinstalled.)

I don't know the specifics of getting a Canadian title but if it's anything like an "out of state" title then you'll need the vehicle and the title for a VIN "rubbing". I bought a new trailer in GA and titled it in PA. I literally had to pull the trailer to the DMV office so they could make a VIN rubbing and verify the manufacture of origin. It took about an hour for them to research.

I would think it would be a matter of getting the US title, shipping the car home, paying the Canadian duties and getting a Canadian title. I assume you already know that for some reason the 08 KRs aren't eligible for import to Canada. Only the 09s can be imported although I have NO idea why as they are identical.

I checked a few of these issues since I had been looking for a KR for a few months before I was lucky enough to find one in Canada. To my knowledge, proof of ownership works differently in the US vs Canada. In Canada, vehicles are not issued a "title", they are simply isued a registration certificate by the DMV of the province; lien on the vehicle will not appear on the registration paper, but rather on a central registry which deals not only with motor vehicles, but with all sorts of collateral; Except in Quebec, those liens are governed by the Personal Property Security Act (PPSA) of the various provinces and can be easily checked by running the car's VIN in the database. My '07 being an Ontario car, I used the following link to confirm that a lien existed:

https://www.personalproperty.gov.on.ca/ppsrweb/en/enquiry/cc_enquiry.jsp?jsOn=Y

A largely similar system also exists in Quebec. I don't have the particulars for all other provinces, but the same general principles apply.

In the US, the system is a bit different. Vehicles are titles, not only registered, and each state use its own certificate of title form, which often includes a dedicated section on the title document where liens are shown. Consequently, in sereral States you would have to look at the certificate of title to see if there is a lien. Having said that, all States do not obey the exact same rules. The NADA Title & Registration textbook is a good source of information that you could use if you can get your hands on it. It provides all relevant info for all 50 States.

https://www.nadaguidesstore.com/Store/title-registration-textbook

As mentionned by eagledriver, you will have to limit your search to a 2009 model. Here is the most current list of admissible vehicles. As you will see, only the 2009 KR is admissible.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/roadsafety/vafus.pdf

• 1 month later...

Archived