TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Say it isn't so

fastfords

Priced out my convertible at $64,300 equipped same as my current '12. Looks to be about a $5k increase over msrp from 2012. I paid $54,500 for the '12 after negotiation. After I added the performance package the '13 ended at $67,800 not including delivery. That is a convertible with Recaros, Electronics, Performance Package, and Car Cover. I guess not too bad considering what you get but with dealers expecting to sale at msrp I'll keep the '12 for now.

Joe

Priced out my convertible at $64,300 equipped same as my current '12. Looks to be about a $5k increase over msrp from 2012. I paid $54,500 for the '12 after negotiation. After I added the performance package the '13 ended at $67,800 not including delivery. That is a convertible with Recaros, Electronics, Performance Package, and Car Cover. I guess not too bad considering what you get but with dealers expecting to sale at msrp I'll keep the '12 for now.

Joe

There is a fair amount of "inflation" happening here. Our government wants everyone to believe it is not happening but it is merely their way of accounting that prevents the true number from being published. Commodities aren't counted, and the pure rise in fuel prices is driving every thing else up with it. So comparing the base price increase of $5K is almost all inflation.

There is a fair amount of "inflation" happening here. Our government wants everyone to believe it is not happening but it is merely their way of accounting that prevents the true number from being published. Commodities aren't counted, and the pure rise in fuel prices is driving every thing else up with it. So comparing the base price increase of $5K is almost all inflation.

Actual numbers in direct option comparison:

2012 GT500 Convertible, Electronic Package, Recaros, Car Cover msrp $58,805

2013 GT500 Convertible, Electronic Package, Recaros, Car Cover msrp $64,305

$5500 increase over 2012, but that includes the 5.8 engine, revised tranny, launch control, carbon fiber driveshaft etc. Expensive increase but to me it looks like you get what you're paying for. On the other hand I'm sure I could get to 650 crank hp for less than $5500 though.

Joe

Wow, that's a lot of money for a GT500. $60 would get you into GT500KR or GT350 territory. I'm not sure what Ford is trying to do with those high prices.

It's called loosing sales to GM. While I understand the GT500 has a beast of a motor many would find the ZL1 to be the more complete car at it's base price. As nice as the new GT500 is the car is still based on the old 2005+ platform and greenhouse so for me the excitement is wearing off quickly.

Wow, that's a lot of money for a GT500. $60 would get you into GT500KR or GT350 territory. I'm not sure what Ford is trying to do with those high prices.

Does either of those cars come with an improved 2.3TVS, 650 factoryHP, 200+ MPH top speed rating,5.8L Forged aluminum engine with special 8.5 Qt oil pan, Electronic Bilstine dampers, Torsen rear differential, upgraded Tremec 6060 trans with close ratio 2.66 first gear, larger clutch,one piece carbon fiber drive-shaft, 33% more inter-cooling capacity, improved down-force for high speed handling, six piston Brembo front brakes on larger front rotors,larger rear rotors.? ...and there's a lot more too like Launch control .....Recaro seats..etc.

All due respect but some of you guys need to look closer at what this car is all about before making a comparison and complaining about it's price.....seriously.

Here's a coupe with the SVTPP and Recaro seats

whitewithblackPPandRecarosrearview.jpg

Stupid newbie question...I've asked many!

I'm gonna get a 'vert for bombing around- is there any reason at all for getting the STVPP?

I don't think "the man" would let me run a 'vert flat out on a road course without a cage (which i'm not getting)-so for me it's just for doing burnouts and blowing it sideways with the top down!

What's the concensus...save the $3500?

Thanks...

(my name is Melford, I'm 41 years old and I still want to act like a high school punk!)

I'm gonna get a 'vert for bombing around- is there any reason at all for getting the STVPP?

I don't think "the man" would let me run a 'vert flat out on a road course without a cage (which i'm not getting)-so for me it's just for doing burnouts and blowing it sideways with the top down!

Thanks...

(my name is Melford, I'm 41 years old and I still want to act like a high school punk!)

I don't think you need the performance package. I opted not to get it on my '12 and don't regret it. No offense to those who have it but I like the standard wheels and wide stripes better. For the '13 the performance pack adds the adjustable shocks which will give a better ride though. For just bombing around the base car will be fine.

Joe

If you want a great factory suspension and don't plan on modding same (think Griggs), then the SVTPP is a must... if for nothing more than future resale value. Non-SVTPP versions will be penalized for more than the cost of ordering with the package.

A 10% price increase over 2012 base is pretty stiff, though what puzzles me more is that the SVTPP is still north of 3 grand. Now that the 19"/20" wheels and G: 2 Supercar tires are part of the base package, paying ~$3500 for the shocks and the torsen diff seems a bit much. Sway bars and springs are essentially a wash, since the base car's springs and bars probably cost close to the same. I can see the jump in the base cost due to the bigger mill, the styling changes, the CF driveshaft and the wheels/tires, but the SVTPP is looking like less of a bargain.

If the track pack comes in for over $1500, it'll be a no-go for me I think.

Thanks...

I think the suspension upgrades are nice it and the rims look night and day better, but I don't know if it is as much value as the 2011-2012 SVT package even though it costs the same. It really depends on whether you like the rims more and if the suspension differences are better.

The Standard package now includes G2 Supercar tires and the gurney flap with the same gear ratio as the SVT package.

It really depends on whether you like the rims more and if the suspension differences matter to you. I don't think resale value is reason not to get it....you're never going to get that $3500 back when you sell the car, especially now that the "upgrade" is negligible to your average buyer.

It's called loosing sales to GM. While I understand the GT500 has a beast of a motor many would find the ZL1 to be the more complete car at it's base price. As nice as the new GT500 is the car is still based on the old 2005+ platform and greenhouse so for me the excitement is wearing off quickly.

And the ZL1 is based on what?

The current Camaro was designed in 03/04. It just wasn't produced until 2009.

If you want a great factory suspension and don't plan on modding same (think Griggs), then the SVTPP is a must... if for nothing more than future resale value. Non-SVTPP versions will be penalized for more than the cost of ordering with the package.

As far as future resale value goes, I disagree completely. The essence of these cars IMO is the brute force of the blown engine. Years from now, that is why people will seek them out.

Actual numbers in direct option comparison:

2012 GT500 Convertible, Electronic Package, Recaros, Car Cover msrp $58,805

2013 GT500 Convertible, Electronic Package, Recaros, Car Cover msrp $64,305

$5500 increase over 2012, but that includes the 5.8 engine, revised tranny, launch control, carbon fiber driveshaft etc. Expensive increase but to me it looks like you get what you're paying for. On the other hand I'm sure I could get to 650 crank hp for less than $5500 though.

Joe

It's a $5500 increase of the 2011 as well. After thinking about it, considering the inflation of the past 2 years, the fact all the packages cost the same as they did 2 years ago, and all of the things they've done to improve the car, $5500 is pretty reasonable. I know on the supplier side vendors have been increasing their prices about 5% every year.

SVT

http://www.youtube.c...2tdiy1MI#t=246s

Non SVT

http://www.youtube.c...2tdiy1MI#t=275s

Wow....the guage in the non SVT package looks like an old 70s Buick! Was that the case for the 2011-2012 models?

There is an error in the YouTube video. The vid listed as "Non SVT" is a non-Shelby dash, as the car lacks the cobra on the steering wheel. The order guide lists a dash unique to the SVTPP car, above what's on the Shelby w/o SVTPP. The mystery continues

Archived