TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cobra History and CSX Number Decoding

socalwrench

I have searched for several weeks on this without any complete information. It seems the internet is full of bad information. And those that have decent information are regarding one vehicle. From what I understand, there's the original Cobra with the 221ci, 260ci and eventually the 289ci for production. Then there were the FIA Racing Cobras with the 289ci. Eventually, there was the Cobra 427ci for the street AND race track. I am told that there was also a S/C version that were street cars slightly modified for competition use. I am also aware of the Cobra Coupe, referred here on as the Daytona. There seems to be plenty of Daytona information as there were only 6 of them.

Essentially, I need help regarding the history of the various Cobra generations with CSX numbers. Thank you for your help.

Cobra ownership if an exclusive club. This part is not documented. :) If you know the secret decoder package then you have the right to own one. So here's the secret.

CSX2000 series - all 260, 289 and Coupe cars. Both "slab side" and "FIA" roadsters.

CSX3000 series - all 427 cars, street and race

Continuation series: CSX4000 (427), CSX1000 (special run aluminum body 427), CSX 6000 (4000 ran out of numbers), CSX7000/CSX8000 - 289 slab side and FIA

I sometimes find it hard to tell the difference between the 289 FIA and 427 cars. The easiest way to tell is the direction of the roll bar support. 289 goes to the foot area of the passenger size, 427 to the trunk.

Nice, thank you Tony. With the information you provided, you can understand my initial confusion. It would have made more sense to me to have the early cars be CSX1000, but you have clarified that CSX2000 is technically where it all started.

Would it be safe to combine CSX4000 and CSX6000 in the same group of Continuation 427 Cobras?

Also, the original 427 S/C Cobras all have CSX3000 numbers?

Nice, thank you Tony. With the information you provided, you can understand my initial confusion. It would have made more sense to me to have the early cars be CSX1000, but you have clarified that CSX2000 is technically where it all started.

Would it be safe to combine CSX4000 and CSX6000 in the same group of Continuation 427 Cobras?

Also, the original 427 S/C Cobras all have CSX3000 numbers?

Yes,when CSX4999 was made the next one was CSX6000 (may CSX6001, not sure but the registry book will tell you that).

Okay, last question on this... I think.

Did the original 427 S/C Cobras all have CSX3000 numbers?

As far as I know.

There may have been a few CSX2000 series cars with 427s in them too but I'm cloudy in this area. I don't think they were built that way from the factory but were either modified by their owner or the 427 prototypes. Maybe Roger can pipe in here. Or someone with the book.

I don't have a copy of the book - I just go down to the Shelby American Collection or the Vegas site and use theirs whenever I need to look up something.

You've been very helpful. Now, wikipedia is trying to come with a 'Mark' designation, but I don't think it exists; especially with all the AC confusion. I think the Cobras will always be referred to with the CSX number designation.

Ummmm...not exactly. There are COB, COX and CSX numbers for all original real, vintage, and correct Cobras. CSX are left hand drive US cobras, COB are right hand drive Cobras (Great Britain) and COX are left hand drive export cars. CSX cars with 2000 series numbers are leaf spring cars, or as we know them, small block Cobras. COB and CSX cars are 6000 series cars. Cars with 3000 series numbers are coil spring, big block cars. The expections that I know of to this to this is the one big block prototype, CSX 2196, otherwise known as the Turd and the Bordinat bodied small block car which began as CSX2701 and became CSX3001. There are 29 S/C roadsters listed, all falling within the 3000 series numbers. there are the various oddities, like the one big block Daytona Coupe that wasn't completed for many years after the project was begin and then shelved, the two automatic big block cars, two of which were twin supercharged. There was also one factroy built big block Dragonsnake.

If there are COB6000 these cars are NOT Shelby.

I also forgot to mention the CSX9000 cars are the Shelby version of the Superformance Daytona Coupes after HiTech moved them to Shelby. They are nice cars but much more civilized than the originals - e.g., electric windows and A/C and regular 3-point seat belts unless you specify harnesses, and more foot room. Tried to convince the boss but it was just a Cobra with a hard top.

Wow, CSX9000 Coupes are made by Superformance? That's a disappoint. I think both the All Pro Cars and Lesher Motorsports Cobra Coupes are much nicer replicas, and true to the racing heritage of the original. Something about the SPF dimensions are just off. Interestingly, the All Pro Cars were given CSX7000 numbers; CSX7060-CSX7069.

The COB and COX cars are AC Cobras, cars built by AC under contract frmo Shelby. Whether you wish to call them 'real' Cobras is obviously personal preference.

The Mk I and Mk II designations may be refence to the 260 (75 built, from CSX 2000-2075) or the 289 (580 built) engines. I'm more familiar with that designation used on Tigers and such. There were other runnign changes made during Cobra production that are documented in the book as well.

Wow, CSX9000 Coupes are made by Superformance? That's a disappoint. I think both the All Pro Cars and Lesher Motorsports Cobra Coupes are much nicer replicas, and true to the racing heritage of the original. Something about the SPF dimensions are just off. Interestingly, the All Pro Cars were given CSX7000 numbers; CSX7060-CSX7069.

They aren't made by Superformance they are made by HiTech (in South Africa, note 1). HiTech makes Cobra rollers for both Shelby and Superformance. The Daytona Coupe that was built by HiTech for SPF had some changes done to it before it was transferred to Shelby. The interior, trans tunnel, and I think some creature comforts were changed but externally it looks the same. Bottom line is that the new Coupe was a little more comfortable to sit in as a passenger than the previous model. The drivers side changed too - the offset of the pedals were brought a little more to the center but not much.

Note 1: HiTech is also the manufacturer of the fiberglass bodied CSX continuation cars. Previously HST International manufactured fiberglass (and was the exclusive supplier of the carbon fiber rollers) but they went out of business.

Yeah, I think the Mark designations are more for the AC cars. Weren't they called the AC Ace, and not the Cobra? The Ace looks similar, but it still different. I will always use the term Cobra in reference to Shelby.

In regards to the Hi-tech cars, I had forgotten that Africa was the COO. The SPF cars still have slightly different dimensions though.

shelby_daytona_coupe_2601.jpg

03superformancedaytona.jpg

• 3 months later...

The above info is generally very good. Just be aware that the history of these cars is still unfolding every day. SAI did not exactly keep stellar records. At the time no one really had any way of knowing that the original Cobras (GT350s, GT500s, Cooper Ford King Cobras, etc.) would become so valuable in the future. Suffice it to say that each vintage Shelby I purchased has come with some incredible surprises... so far all good ones. :) But even still there are unanswered questions, and I am still researching each of my cars on a nearly daily basis trying to put all of the pieces together.

Fortunately I've managed to find some incredibly knowledgeable people to help me, otherwise I'd have probably thrown in the towel and checked into the loony bin. (OK maybe that last bit is an exaggeration.) A few that come to mind are (in no particular order) Chuck Brandt, Ned Scudder, Lynn Park, John Bessey, Erik Zurbriggen, and many many more.

Another thing that I have found is that each SAAC registrar is an INCREDIBLE source of knowledge. If you have questions about a particular car, or series, you can always contact them. If they don't have the answer, they can point you in the right direction.

The "Shelby community" as a whole is an incredible living, breathing organism of fanatics. By and large, everyone is friendly and everyone seems to have something cool to contribute. I only hope that I can return the favor. If you need an answer to a Shelby specific question, it is almost a certainty that the answer exists somewhere within the group. And I for one am always willing to help (often by being willing to look like a dork temporarily before finding the right guy to answer the question :) ).

• 7 years later...

Archived