TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Promo video, makes ya wanna race

ShelbyGT/SC

• 4 weeks later...

Adam,

Can you tell me about your Hoosier setup? Wheel/tire specs, etc? Good place to buy, maybe?

Thanks!

Jer

• 1 month later...

Jer, he pal, hope you're well. I think the Hoosier A6's are the best. I ended up getting a sweet deal on an end of life Hoosier tire that was too good to pass up. Once they get hot they are incredible. It gives you so much more grip that you have a million more percent confidence. But naturally you need to be careful with it too. At Lime Rock last year, at the peak of "the hill" the back end started coming out on me to the side and I nearly rolled the car at about 90 mph. I forgot the brand of the wheel but if you search this forum for wheels and tires and maybe my name or "Tasca Shelby," maybe you will find the thread. I did a pretty exhaustive research to find the right tires and wheels and wrote it up on a thread. I found stuff from other forums too and posted all the weights of the wheels and tires, including my setup. Naturally, I gave credit where it was due since I didn't do all the work, just gathered a bunch. Anyway, the one thing about the race wheels I have, they were double slotted for 4 and 5 lugs. Because there was that less amount to metal around the lug holes, it always made me lose a little confidence that they would hold up so although they were great and I had no issues, it might be best to go with others like the 2010+ GT500 wheels.

Gregg, yeah, I put a trailer hitch on the car long ago for the racing. I started doing SCCA in 2009 and it was a hassle trying to lug tools and such in the trunk. Meanwhile, all these other guys arrived in their other cars such as Miata's and Corvette's with their little trailers attached. I already had the trailer so it was a no-brainer. I ordered the Mustang trailer hitch but I had to cut it and have an extension welded to it. It was pretty simple to do. I set it all up and brought it to a welder and then I installed it. It worked out pretty good and is easy to remove when changing out the exhaust. Yeah, I say that because some tracks, like Lime Rock, don't allow certain volume cars on certain days. Last year they kicked me off. Good think I brought a set of stock Mustang mufflers in case needed and I practiced removing and replacing prior to the trip so when they kicked me off, I went back and was about to replace them. Then someone told me to just wait a couple laps then go back out. I did, and when I went by the guy who kicked me off, I just let up on the gas a little LOL. Anyway, the trailer I have was from some cheap chain hardware place. I forgot the name but it was like Building 19 but for hardware/tools and such. The trailer was about $250 and I built a nice fence all around and take it off when racing. It's great to put the wheels, tools, jack and other on there. I sometimes take the kids cars out too and it's so fun watching people freak out trying to take pics while on the highway.

Anyway, thanks guys. For those who haven't done it yet, you have to find the local SCCA Auto Cross and try it sometime. It's so much fun but is great for learning your car and how to drive better. Then you'll find yourself on the on-and-off ramps of every highway having some fun and testing what you learn (safely of course). I also did that ADSI Auto Cross, which was with this video above, and my favorite is the road course. Drag is fun too and the other fun was the Bull Run.

Adam,

Thanks! I'll go looking. I saw a set of great chrome GT4 wheels today, think they might be a nice match for Hoosiers... as though "looks" pay any dividend when you're hanging on for dear life in a tight turn... ahhh... vanity... LOL... What are the sizes you're using (wheels & tires)?

Hope you're keeping New England running right for us while I'm away... ;>)

Jer

Archived