TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Huge Oops!

Steve.Madrid

So there I was....no S&%T...

Taking my '08 S-GT for it's first oil change since I bought it. She arrived to me with 8,045 on the odometer and finally was knocking on the door of 10K. I have read the forum quite a bit and deciced on going to synthetic oil and also have access to a lift and great shop here next to Fort Bragg. My son went with me after basketball practice and we stopped to grab a gatorade at a shopette near the garage. As usual, I parked out away from everyone and one space over from a small sidewalk island sticking out into the parking lot. We came back from grabbing drinks, the sun was shining and my mind was full of personally changing oil on the Shelby and it being one of the greatest experiences of my nearly forty years of existence.....

We got in and I started her up with the sweet sound of V8 goodness and I backed out and headed to the garage when it all went wrong.

For those who may be wondering, low car + sidewalk island = BAD.

It was completely my fault when I backed out I forgot about the sidewalk island and ended up driving over it. The car jumped and bounced and both my son and I were startled by it. By the time I realized what happened the front wheels were over it and the back wheels were on it so I ended up driving completely over it. I stopped on the other side and jumped out praying to find and intact front lower air dam. Thankfully it was still there and I walked around her to see what else may be damaged. It didn't look like anything obvious, but I knew when I got her up on the lift I was sure to find broken bits.

NOTE: I have driven a Ford Explorer for the last 12 years so curbs I would typically laugh at.

We got to the garage and I got her up on the lift, thankfully it was just some ugly scratches under her and nothing very serious. I did chew up the bottom of the front air dam quite a bit but nothing notable unless you know it's there. I was relieved to say the least. The one thing I did notice when I washed her later is one of the screws to the driver side hood pin is gone.

I did some research here on the forum and can replace the screw now that I have some contacts for it....but the feeling of just dumb will last awhile.

Sorry this happened to you. I'm sure this forum and its members will convey empathy and try to take your pain away because we feel it. I know sorta how it feels as I hit a parking dam the other day and thought I literally ripped the front end off ------ but just scratches underneath. I felt terrible and needed the dunce award that day. Give the Shelby some TLC and you'll feel better.

Could have been a lot worse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check out the thread on repairing scratches on the front air dam.

Thanks, I'll look it up a bit later...and yes, it could have MUCH worse and I am glad it was not.

Steve

Glad there is no overt damage. You mentioned having a contact for the screws. What type of screw and can you share the info?

Thank you.

I found the info by searching S-GT mods and tech and found this thread reply:

Okay - Aluminum Screw Dilemma resolved! I contacted Shelby American and spoke to Tim at the parts department. He put me in touch with Juan of SA. I actually e-mailed Juan and he replied back promptly so thank you to both Tim and Juan of SA! Juan gave me this phone number to call (800-367-3788). I didn't realize it until I called but it is SVT in Detroit? Anyhow, this is the same number we have all called for warranty service on our warped hood scoops and rusted hoods, etc. I just gave them the last 6 digits of my VIN # and my shipping address and they shipped them to me via UPS. The screws left them either late Monday or early Tuesday and they were at my door Friday (yesterday) and are now installed on my SGT. Although we only need 8 of them FORD ships you a bag of 10 screws.

They answer the phone promptly and they already know what I am speaking of before i can even finish my sentence. They must have subcontracted out to somebody or something because these screws appear to be exactly what the doctor ordered not just in the fact that they are aluminum but their length as well. They are not quite as long as the original ones that came with the hood pin kit. I don't know about the rest of you but one thing I noticed fresh from the beginning with my hood pin plates was that they were not totally resting flush on the hood of my car from the beginning. Reason being, Shelby had not drilled completely though both skin layers of the aluminum hood. So when you put the plates on the hood surface and then ran the screw through - it only screwed down tight enough until the tip of the screw hit the second inner layer of the hood! So, either drill all the way through both skins OR use a shorter screw. Those are the kinds of things that I must admit bothered me about getting a genuine Shelby from SA. Why they would allow that car to leave with something like that. Oh well - we all know the saga.

Back to the screws. They are 100% aluminum so they are not the shiniest screws in the world but we only see the Phillips heads of them anyhow. So I took some Neverdull and just polished the heads of each screw. They look and work great!! Now I feel confident that I will not meet the rust/ corrosion/ blistered paint issue again!

Something so cheap yet hard to track down both in my rural town of Walla Walla and even on the Internet!

Just as a cool side note. I also took a tap (4MM in my case because I already owned one and it is the exact perfect fit for their pre-drilled rivet hole!) and I tapped out the holes in the radiator frame where the hood pin lanyards once were riveted. When I got my Shelby back after all of that warranty service I told them not to re-rivet the new lanyards to the car. I choose to run around without the lanyards rubbing on the hood and only place them on the car for show. After tapping out the two holes I picked up really nice stainless steel allen wrench headed button screws and two stainless washers. Now all I have to do for show is just screw each lanyard onto the radiator frame in like 60 seconds and I am good to go. Plus, it just looks sharp.

So for those of you wanting those aluminum screws just ring up that # and you will be good to go!

Hope that helps!

Steve

Sorry this happened to you. I'm sure this forum and its members will convey empathy and try to take your pain away because we feel it. I know sorta how it feels as I hit a parking dam the other day and thought I literally ripped the front end off ------ but just scratches underneath. I felt terrible and needed the dunce award that day. Give the Shelby some TLC and you'll feel better.

I have been trying to make her feel better....I still feel dumb though. Maybe a quick stretch of 120+ will make me feel better.....

Thank goodness the damage was minimal and you and your son weren't hurt.........a little pride maybe but at least a valuable lesson was learned.

Congrats on getting the Shelby GT :happy feet: .......great cars that's for sure.

Thank goodness the damage was minimal and you and your son weren't hurt.........a little pride maybe but at least a valuable lesson was learned.

Congrats on getting the Shelby GT :happy feet: .......great cars that's for sure.

I agree, nothing hurt but some pride, the boy still snickers a bit and the operative lesson here........LEARN HOW LONG THE DAMN HOOD IS......Things hide in front of and under it!

Seriously, I am still learning that one after driving an SUV for over a decade. I pull into parking spaces s-l-o-w-l-y and creep up to the curb because I still have not learned the 'car' yet, but it's getting better.

Sorry to hear but very glad it wasn't worse! Hope you get everything fixed up ok.

Thanks much. I will search the thread for scratches mentioned earlier and fix it at some point, or buy the carbon fiber GT500 lip and just hide it.

Steve

Glad to here your Shelby was'nt badly damaged. I drive around in a Jeep Wrangler and always have to remind myself when I'm in the Shelby you can't go everywhere. Good luck with your Shelby.

Not to say that you didn't look - but did you check the side rocker panels and the plastic cover over the fuel filter (immediately beneath the driver's seat)? These are two areas that are also very low! During one experience, (speed hump), I bent one of the bolts holding the fuel filter cover and also managed to scrape a couple of heads off the plastic bolts that hold the side skirts on!

Sam

So there I was....no S&%T...

Taking my '08 S-GT for it's first oil change since I bought it. She arrived to me with 8,045 on the odometer and finally was knocking on the door of 10K. I have read the forum quite a bit and deciced on going to synthetic oil and also have access to a lift and great shop here next to Fort Bragg. My son went with me after basketball practice and we stopped to grab a gatorade at a shopette near the garage. As usual, I parked out away from everyone and one space over from a small sidewalk island sticking out into the parking lot. We came back from grabbing drinks, the sun was shining and my mind was full of personally changing oil on the Shelby and it being one of the greatest experiences of my nearly forty years of existence.....

We got in and I started her up with the sweet sound of V8 goodness and I backed out and headed to the garage when it all went wrong.

For those who may be wondering, low car + sidewalk island = BAD.

It was completely my fault when I backed out I forgot about the sidewalk island and ended up driving over it. The car jumped and bounced and both my son and I were startled by it. By the time I realized what happened the front wheels were over it and the back wheels were on it so I ended up driving completely over it. I stopped on the other side and jumped out praying to find and intact front lower air dam. Thankfully it was still there and I walked around her to see what else may be damaged. It didn't look like anything obvious, but I knew when I got her up on the lift I was sure to find broken bits.

NOTE: I have driven a Ford Explorer for the last 12 years so curbs I would typically laugh at.

We got to the garage and I got her up on the lift, thankfully it was just some ugly scratches under her and nothing very serious. I did chew up the bottom of the front air dam quite a bit but nothing notable unless you know it's there. I was relieved to say the least. The one thing I did notice when I washed her later is one of the screws to the driver side hood pin is gone.

I did some research here on the forum and can replace the screw now that I have some contacts for it....but the feeling of just dumb will last awhile.

Lowes carrys any screw or push pins and other things made for mounting on a car. But, I know most of you want it to be from or an authoirized shelby dealer. Trust me no one will notice and you get to save a lot of money.

Not to say that you didn't look - but did you check the side rocker panels and the plastic cover over the fuel filter (immediately beneath the driver's seat)? These are two areas that are also very low! During one experience, (speed hump), I bent one of the bolts holding the fuel filter cover and also managed to scrape a couple of heads off the plastic bolts that hold the side skirts on!

Sam

Sam,

When I had it on the lift while changing the oil, I looked her over pretty good and didn't see anything other than scratches on the bottom of the A Arms, the rear part of the muffler tubes and the rear brace. Next time I put it on the lift i'll definately look again in those spots, Thanks.

luckily I had a camera that day and took pics of her boo boos. I'll throw in links in a day or two.

Steve

Lowes carrys any screw or push pins and other things made for mounting on a car. But, I know most of you want it to be from or an authoirized shelby dealer. Trust me no one will notice and you get to save a lot of money.

great point, I'm worried less about whether they came from a bin at SAI but more about the galvanic corrosion I have read about here several times. I also will probably go over all the hood pin screws and use some loctite to make sure it does not happen again.

Thanks!

Steve

I agree, nothing hurt but some pride, the boy still snickers a bit and the operative lesson here........LEARN HOW LONG THE DAMN HOOD IS......Things hide in front of and under it!

Seriously, I am still learning that one after driving an SUV for over a decade. I pull into parking spaces s-l-o-w-l-y and creep up to the curb because I still have not learned the 'car' yet, but it's getting better.

He's got you with this one...................20 years from now "Hey dad, remember when you.............." :hysterical2:

Maybe not now but someday a priceless memory.

He's got you with this one...................20 years from now "Hey dad, remember when you.............." :hysterical2:

Maybe not now but someday a priceless memory.

hahahaha yep one among many of them unfortunately..... and more importantly, 20 years from now when I am 59, and still driving the Shelby I can look at the car and laugh about it.

Steve

great point, I'm worried less about whether they came from a bin at SAI but more about the galvanic corrosion I have read about here several times. I also will probably go over all the hood pin screws and use some loctite to make sure it does not happen again.

Thanks!

Steve

No problem , I have a thing for having a full set up of bolts and nuts along with those hard to find screws and clips. I was going to order new chrome screws for my 72 ford truck headliner molding. I said let me go to lowes just for the hell of it and sure enough they had them the same exact ones for pennies.

Good luck

I found the info by searching S-GT mods and tech and found this thread reply:

Okay - Aluminum Screw Dilemma resolved! I contacted Shelby American and spoke to Tim at the parts department. He put me in touch with Juan of SA. I actually e-mailed Juan and he replied back promptly so thank you to both Tim and Juan of SA! Juan gave me this phone number to call (800-367-3788). I didn't realize it until I called but it is SVT in Detroit? Anyhow, this is the same number we have all called for warranty service on our warped hood scoops and rusted hoods, etc. I just gave them the last 6 digits of my VIN # and my shipping address and they shipped them to me via UPS. The screws left them either late Monday or early Tuesday and they were at my door Friday (yesterday) and are now installed on my SGT. Although we only need 8 of them FORD ships you a bag of 10 screws.

They answer the phone promptly and they already know what I am speaking of before i can even finish my sentence. They must have subcontracted out to somebody or something because these screws appear to be exactly what the doctor ordered not just in the fact that they are aluminum but their length as well. They are not quite as long as the original ones that came with the hood pin kit. I don't know about the rest of you but one thing I noticed fresh from the beginning with my hood pin plates was that they were not totally resting flush on the hood of my car from the beginning. Reason being, Shelby had not drilled completely though both skin layers of the aluminum hood. So when you put the plates on the hood surface and then ran the screw through - it only screwed down tight enough until the tip of the screw hit the second inner layer of the hood! So, either drill all the way through both skins OR use a shorter screw. Those are the kinds of things that I must admit bothered me about getting a genuine Shelby from SA. Why they would allow that car to leave with something like that. Oh well - we all know the saga.

Back to the screws. They are 100% aluminum so they are not the shiniest screws in the world but we only see the Phillips heads of them anyhow. So I took some Neverdull and just polished the heads of each screw. They look and work great!! Now I feel confident that I will not meet the rust/ corrosion/ blistered paint issue again!

Something so cheap yet hard to track down both in my rural town of Walla Walla and even on the Internet!

Just as a cool side note. I also took a tap (4MM in my case because I already owned one and it is the exact perfect fit for their pre-drilled rivet hole!) and I tapped out the holes in the radiator frame where the hood pin lanyards once were riveted. When I got my Shelby back after all of that warranty service I told them not to re-rivet the new lanyards to the car. I choose to run around without the lanyards rubbing on the hood and only place them on the car for show. After tapping out the two holes I picked up really nice stainless steel allen wrench headed button screws and two stainless washers. Now all I have to do for show is just screw each lanyard onto the radiator frame in like 60 seconds and I am good to go. Plus, it just looks sharp.

So for those of you wanting those aluminum screws just ring up that # and you will be good to go!

Hope that helps!

Steve

I like that set up of easy on- easy off!!

Thanks for the info!!

Ouch; at least you can look at it with that attitude. Of course, seeing those links will make a lot of people cringe. Still, lesson learned and observed by many.

I agree with you, if it would have done significant damage i'd probably still be crying. I have to dig out my hard drive and find those pics and get them up soon.

Steve

Your not the first one to do that and you won't be the last.

Your not the first one to do that and you won't be the last.

I'm sure....as soon as someone else admits it, I can laugh and point like everyone is doing to me...........

Steve

I'm sure....as soon as someone else admits it, I can laugh and point like everyone is doing to me...........

Steve

Crap like this happens all the time. I was working massive overtime for over a week straight so one morning driving my 04 toyota highlander. I pulled into the lot of dunkin donuts and at this point this sound of scraping metal catches my attention. I figured it was just my side step hitting the curb. It turned out my driverside had a yellow stripe down the center of my truck from front to back. The scraping sound was the yellow pole that I had rubbed up against. Being a cop there was no way in hell was I going to make a accident report for that mess.

Crap like this happens all the time. I was working massive overtime for over a week straight so one morning driving my 04 toyota highlander. I pulled into the lot of dunkin donuts and at this point this sound of scraping metal catches my attention. I figured it was just my side step hitting the curb. It turned out my driverside had a yellow stripe down the center of my truck from front to back. The scraping sound was the yellow pole that I had rubbed up against. Being a cop there was no way in hell was I going to make a accident report for that mess.

ok.....you win. Suddenly I don't feel quite so bad. Seriously though, hope you were able to get it fixed.

of course, I got it fixed all that over time cash went to fix it 2,000.00 worth. That hurt but the busting at work went on for a week from hey love the yellow paint stripe. They also annouced it over the PA system !! They all jumped in cause I'm the guy that will bust them all the time and they had a chance for pay back. My favorite thing was go up to the dorm with the bull horn and blast away. :hysterical:

Archived