TEAM SHELBY FORUM

is there anyone out there that is satified with the gt 500 that they have purchased already ,you guys sound like the 500 you already have are garabage, just like most of you i have put in thousands into my 2010 , cosmetic and performance , all i need to is up grade the supercharger to a tvs or whipple and i will have a 600hp plus car , all the power to you if you don't mind losing ten to twenty thousand dollars , but the look and shape of the car has not really changed i really do not think that the money you are going to lose is worth the change ,not to say the car does not have some great up grades but look at the beating the guys who purchased the kr when it came out { that was the best and fastest } some of the cars sold for over 90,000 dollars now look at there worth, just my opinion , to me 07 thru 12 are still great shelbys ,try a little contentment, it might save you thousands that we have already spent on our cars ,and sure will take a bath on a trade

i really do not think that the money you are going to lose is worth the change

Then it's probably best if you don't trade you car in for a 2013.

Then it's probably best if you don't trade you car in for a 2013.

Same exact line I was going to quote and same exact answer I had.

Of course all the Shelby's are still great cars. I loved the '11 I had. I'll just love the '13 that much more...and to me, it was worth the $13k I lost on the '11. You only

go around this life one time. When the '15 GT500 comes out with 750 horsepower, I'll feel my '13 is inadequate and lose money on that one to buy the new one.

It's a never ending cycle that'll never go away for me. I can't help it. My wife wishes I could, but she's accepted that I can't.

Hello, my name is Crushinator, and I have a car addiction.

I'm perfectly happy with my 2011. Each time I get to thinking about pulleys and a tune, I'll get the car sideways monetarily even with the traction control on and start thinking how much worse it would be with another 75 rwhp or so (LOL). Now, if I hit the Powerball, I just might buy a 2013 Shelby GT-500 .... in each color. :wub2:

is there anyone out there that is satified with the gt 500 that they have purchased already

I'm still totally satisfied with my 2007 GT500. Mine will be 5 years new on Monday March 5th and I have no need for a new one. Love the one I have. :wub: My wife had the choice of getting a brand new one or a mint 2009 GT500. She chose the 2009 because of the cool original muscle car design.

Some guys need the next model year every year. It is a addiction and many need help. :hysterical2: There is a 12 step program to help those people.

We all bought our cars because we loved them and some model years they may have made some changes or improvements but to some they didn't mean much and to some they did so for those who didn't care they kept the one they had to those who did care they just bought the newer one but in the end we all belong to the same group of great car owners.

I bought a 2010 in the summer of 09, and 18 months later got rid of it for a 2011 because of the performance upgrades. Last year I decided that rather than chase after and pay a premium for the next big change every year, it made more sense to donate the money to charity. There's a lot of people hurting in this economy and to me, getting more horsepower, better suspension, new wheels, etc., doesn't seem as important as helping others who need a hand...

Some people have the money to toss around to buy new cars...I don't. I still like mine...and really I have no need for more power. I still like the looks of my '10....and I LOVE not having a car payment anymore.

I think the OP is just catching the vocal minority that have to have the latest and greatest all the time. It happens with computers, gaming systems, cell phones, cars, etc.

We really like the fact that the '13 comes out of the box with a lot more HP and traction than our '09 has currently. It was even more tempting when a local Ford dealer was willing to give us MSRP for our '09 toward a new one. But for us, we will keep the '09 and install the suspension and performance mods so that it will be pretty equal to the '13 but for a lot less money. Like someone else stated, if we win power ball, there will be a '13 in the garage along with a GT350.

I like my '11 w/ SVTPP, but I think the car is over-geared. I suspect Ford put the 3.73 axle in the SVTPP cars to handle the extra drivetrain shock from the better-hooking G: 2 Supercar tires. They then put a taller wheel on the back to take off some of the ratio, but the car is still way over-geared.

One of the fastest vintage muscle cars I've ever ridden in was a 1970 GTO with a 455 Pontiac in it. Car had a Q-jet and factory exhaust manifolds and 3.08 gears with a TH 400 trans. It would do 0-60 in first gear (4.2 seconds) and was a sub 13-second car, on old-school Eagle VR tires in 255 width. The 455 Pontiac is a torque monster and the car did not need a numerically-high rear gear. It would leave the line like a sling shot, and would only lay about 6-8 feet of rubber before it hooked. It was a text-book case of setting up the total driveline to work with the characteristics of the engine. For the street, 3.73's belong on a high-winding small block, not a SC car that has 500 lbs. feet of torque.

I'm considering trading in my 2011, since the cost of modding it to get to the '13 specs (trans, axle, gauges, launch control, etc), plus buying new tires this summer, is almost the cash I'd have to add to my trade to get the '13. Plus I'd get a new warranty.

I'm calling my dealer tomorrow to see what his pricing will be. He sold me my 2011 in the spring of 2010 (it was the first 2011 Shelby he'd gotten) and met me halfway between invoice and MSRP for the price. If he does that again, I'm buying. I will miss the narrow stripes though......

I absolutely love my car and the only reason I'd consider selling is that I HAVEN'T invested in any of my planned mods yet and the 2013 has better than what I was planning with a factory warranty and not to mention the color I wanted but wasnt available in 2011. If I don't sell, ill live happily with my current car. Another reason is the body style hasn't change and I love the current style so it isn't a huge change. I wouldn't consider selling my 2011 for a 2015 with a new style even if it's amazing looking.

When I bought my car, the plan was always to mod it, with a specific goal in mind.

I'm @ my hp goal, couple of other small items & I'll hit the track, expecting to reach my second goal. Now that the car is the way I want it, it's not going anywhere.

I like the look of the 2013 & some of the performance items that come from the factory, but if I bought one, it would get modded also.

I think I'll quit while I'm ahead..

.1Jan2012PicRun022.jpg

I am new to the new Shelbys and their forums but the thing that has surprised me most about owners of the new Shelbys is how much mods they are doing to their cars. It seems like 75% are doing it. It's hard for this old geezer (58) to understand why 550 HP isn't enough but if that's what you guys enjoy, go for it. My issue is in line with Mr.Hamilton's way of thinking. TRACTION. My car got sideways with me the other day at about 50 MPH and 3/4 throttle and I am asking myself what good is 650HP on a '13 going to be if you can't hook up with 550HP? These GT500's need a 12"-13" wide tire on the ground like a GT40 or ZO6/ZR1 Vette has with similar HP. If not we are going to need a new sticky thread entitled R.I.P. for those dearly departed. I can't help but think about the rich kid whose Daddy lets them pick out a new car for graduation and they go with a 650HP Shelby and Daddy doesn't have a clue what he has bought. Seasoned gearheads can get in over their head real quick with 650 or even 500HP. Imagine an 18 year old that's never had more power than a Camry. That's a scarey thought.

on my 09 I have 305-45-18 nitto 555r and they hook like a beast for stock performance. I read somewhere too much over 600rwhp then they dont hook well at all so gotta upgrade to a softer compound like an m&h or m/t. looks like you have a 2012 not sure what is the best size for them.

I am new to the new Shelbys and their forums but the thing that has surprised me most about owners of the new Shelbys is how much mods they are doing to their cars. It seems like 75% are doing it. It's hard for this old geezer (58) to understand why 550 HP isn't enough but if that's what you guys enjoy, go for it.

I think part of the reason that many do it is that it's fairly easy to gain over 100HP just by putting on a new supercharger. We no longer have to switch heads, cams, intakes, etc. like in the early 90's and such. In a couple hours you gain all that power and just keep driving. I admit that I don't need any more power...but I might just do it - just to have it on tap if the feeling strikes me.

I think part of the reason that many do it is that it's fairly easy to gain over 100HP just by putting on a new supercharger. We no longer have to switch heads, cams, intakes, etc. like in the early 90's and such. In a couple hours you gain all that power and just keep driving. I admit that I don't need any more power...but I might just do it - just to have it on tap if the feeling strikes me.

Good point. And I might add this is part of what makes the Shelby so appealing to some. You can do minimal work and realize power numbers that are utterly retarded. And this can all be had relatively safely.

Maximum acceleration occurs when the car is on the verge of losing traction. Careful application of the throttle will assure maximum accelration. If your car is "hooking up" and the wheels can't be spun even with the throttle at wide open, then the car can use more power. If you can't hook up off the line with 550 hp, then 650 hp won't hurt you off the line, but the additional HP will pay off handsomely on the top end.

Adding 100 hp may not make sense for off-the-line acceleration, (my 2011 spins the tires freely in 1st and 2nd gear) but at the top end, more power can be added without wheelspin. If I go to a 650 hp 2013, I'll baby the throttle off the line and get into it more as the car starts to hook up.

Everyone seems fixated on the 100 hp increase for 2013, but I think that was done just to needle the Chevy guys. The real benefit of the 2013 will be the new numerically lower gearing and the ability to hit 60 mph in first gear. As I posted earlier on this thread, you can load a torque-monster engine like the 5.4/5.8 (or the 455 B-P-O engines of yester-year) by going to a numerically-lower rear gear and it will go FASTER in the 1/4 mile. I switched my 455 cid 1970 Olds from a 3.42 to a 3.23 axle and shaved 4/10ths off it's 1/4 mile time. Why? Because the lower numeric ratio soaked up the torque from the engine and converted it into acceleration instead of wheelspin.

Had Ford merely gone from 550 hp in 2012 to 650 hp in 2013 and not changed the trans and axle gearing, I wouldn't even consider trading in my 2011. I could give a squat for the HP, it's the 0-60 in first gear and running the quarter in three gears that has my attention.....

is there anyone out there that is satified with the gt 500 that they have purchased already ,you guys sound like the 500 you already have are garabage, just like most of you i have put in thousands into my 2010 , cosmetic and performance , all i need to is up grade the supercharger to a tvs or whipple and i will have a 600hp plus car , all the power to you if you don't mind losing ten to twenty thousand dollars , but the look and shape of the car has not really changed i really do not think that the money you are going to lose is worth the change ,not to say the car does not have some great up grades but look at the beating the guys who purchased the kr when it came out { that was the best and fastest } some of the cars sold for over 90,000 dollars now look at there worth, just my opinion , to me 07 thru 12 are still great shelbys ,try a little contentment, it might save you thousands that we have already spent on our cars ,and sure will take a bath on a trade

Had Ford merely gone from 550 hp in 2012 to 650 hp in 2013 and not changed the trans and axle gearing, I wouldn't even consider trading in my 2011. I could give a squat for the HP, it's the 0-60 in first gear and running the quarter in three gears that has my attention.....

Exactly how I'm thinking and (along with the driveshaft) why I'm really itching to pull the trigger on a 2013.

Well I am Happy thus far with my GT500. But lol, I just recieved it :)

The one ting I would want from the 13's are the built in track apps. The HP ? Meh I am already there or very very close to it with my mods. As far as the taillights go, and the lower panels/quad exhaust, I actually like the way mines look. Heck you could always have it painted anyway if that the way you want to go.

Archived