TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SVT Track Pack - Is it a good idea for daily use / minimal track use

Mulanzo

I've just read a very technical briefing on the new 5.8L Trinity Engine and they go into a lot of detail (of which most flew over my head) about the changes from the 5.4L to the 5.8L engine. They talk about how the stock oil cooler is a water to oil system and the track pack option is a oil to air cooler. They say that under daily use, the stock one should be more than enough as well as casual use at the track. For extended track use, the track pack is obviously the best option. Now Im wondering if anyone knows if the track pack is going to affect daily use. They mention that the stock setup is better at warming the oil in the morning from a cold start. They also say that the optional setup effectively increases the radiator surface area thus cooling more at a time. I'm way up in Canada where it is only REALLY hot for about 2-3 months (4 max). I'm wondering if its worthwhile to spring for the track pack or if the stock should suffice. I'm kind of torn because from a future standpoint, i wonder if resale would be hurt by the presence or absence of the package.

Then I think to myself...resale? Why would I ever sell this beast? And then I remember I said the same thing when I bought my first Shelby / first car and that's what I'm contemplating now.

Insight from cooler heads?

Here's the article for those interested. It's a really cool (but long) read. http://www.mustang50...v8/viewall.html

What you are asking is really two different questions.

(1) Do you need the track pack option if you are not planning to track the car?...No you don't, not if street use is your main use of the car.

(2) Would it be prudent to get the TP option for future resale value? ..who knows ...I would say that's probably likely.

• 2 weeks later...

So in colder every day use the track pack wont have any bad effects to the car? I think thats what he is asking. I'd like to know also. I don't have any tracks around here but I move a lot and rather something for future use.

Ford puts the same warranty on the car - with or without track pack. If they felt a "normal" user in cold weather who didn't race would hurt the car, they'd say so and not warrant it.

I have the FRPP susension on mine I drive it in cold weather, the tires are not made for cold weather and if you can drive mellow and sonewhat skillfully no issues. Susension does not care.

The upgrade makes the car that much more fun!

While the Track Pack cooler is superior at cooling, I think the point is - how is it at warming the oil after a cold start? The regular cooler benefits from the radiator water to assist in warming. How much of a benefit this is, I don't know.

I read in Hot Rod (March 2012 issue) that the oil cooler has a thermostat on it, i.e. the oil will not flow to the cooler unless it is getting overly-warm (>220F). This should alleviate your concerns about over-cooling the oil or the oil not getting up to normal operating temp. I believe the diff cooler on the track pack also has a thermostat, so that the pump for that cooling system does not run non-stop. I think the trans cooler is a simple gear drive pump off the rotating assembly in the trans and likely runs all the time. You really can't overcool gear oil.....

The "track pack" option now shows up on the Ford build site. $2995 and also mandates deletion of fog lights. Aside from the previously discussed fluid coolers, the package also lists brake cooling ducts.

so the foglights are used as cooling ducts? any other external visual changes from the track pack?

I read in Hot Rod (March 2012 issue) that the oil cooler has a thermostat on it, i.e. the oil will not flow to the cooler unless it is getting overly-warm (>220F). This should alleviate your concerns about over-cooling the oil or the oil not getting up to normal operating temp. I believe the diff cooler on the track pack also has a thermostat, so that the pump for that cooling system does not run non-stop. I think the trans cooler is a simple gear drive pump off the rotating assembly in the trans and likely runs all the time. You really can't overcool gear oil.....

Good info, thanks!

so the foglights are used as cooling ducts? any other external visual changes from the track pack?

I think I once saw a pic of a 2012 mule with the fog light out for ducting purposes but I've never seen a picture of the final look of a track-pack car. When you pick the option on Ford's build site it does not alter the stock photo they use, as it would if you change paint color. We'll have to wait and see I guess

It would be terrific if Ford or an aftermarket producer would come-up with fog lamp inserts that could cap the brake ducts when not in use on the track and easily removed when brake cooling is desired instead. There's certainly no technical reason it couldn't be achieved, especially with many of the rapid prototyping technologies available capable of creating all manner of parts from ABS plastic.

With any luck, the harness will continue to leave the requisite wiring in-place, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ford decided to make THAT harder too.

Archived