TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1-2 Shift problems

Don't hold your breath. Of course rumor has it a TSB is coming for the last (fill in the blank) years! Your gonna have to be satisfied you have a cool looking car. Fords not doing sh!t with these cars, I bought this cool for the cool factor to add to the garage candy. I am done with sub standard junk. We bought a over priced under valued Mustang. Lick the wounds and learn from it.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Ecrissman;

Thanks for your reply! Just so unfortunate if that's the case that Ford won't do anything about this whatsoever as it's more than a "one off" issue. I know what you're saying and I too got the car for the awesome look and of course performance and no regrets whatsoever; maybe I'm just being picky but I don't think any of us here are asking too much. Regardless, I'll keep enjoying my Shelby and love to cruise around in it.

Correct me if im wrong but was it not said some where that Tremec has been even asked about this and they said what ever the issue is I forget, (I know one is the line), is that Ford had them design it like that to slow the shiffting down on the car. One of the video's I remember seeing even on the 13's they talk about something with slown the shift down. So I assume thats why we get the grind when trying to shift fast. Why some have it and others don't, I have no idea. Maybe I'm just thinking out loud here.

MJN;

I hadn't heard that, but that's an interesting point if Tremec deliberately designed things that way based on Ford's request! Of course any other information from anybody would be beneficial too. Thanks, I'm going to look further into this one.

I think it was on SVT Performace forum that I read it, I also tried looking for the you tube vid on the 13 with Jamal but could not find and gave up lol sorry. Maybe i'll try again and get lucky.

Not trying to discount your problems but I don't think it's an intentional design "flaw". I know 7 other GT500 owners and no one has had a 1-2 shift problem. I had over 21000 miles on my 2009 and over 11000 miles on my 2011 and haven't had a problem. Hope you get it worked out.

http://www.lethalper...ne-upgrade.html

Free shipping, 10% off = 54.00. I think it's worth a try < shrug >

Here's my question.

When you go to the site and look at fitment it shows SVT GT500.

Does that mean my regular GT 500 is not included for this upgrade ?

Don't hold your breath. Of course rumor has it a TSB is coming for the last (fill in the blank) years! Your gonna have to be satisfied you have a cool looking car. Fords not doing sh!t with these cars, I bought this cool for the cool factor to add to the garage candy. I am done with sub standard junk. We bought a over priced under valued Mustang. Lick the wounds and learn from it.

Overpriced, undervalued? I don't think so. My care has functioned flawlessly from day 1. I broke it in carefully and don't beat the crap out of it. I have no complaints whatsoever.

Overpriced, undervalued? I don't think so. My care has functioned flawlessly from day 1. I broke it in carefully and don't beat the crap out of it. I have no complaints whatsoever.

I guess it depends on your standards.

Not trying to discount your problems but I don't think it's an intentional design "flaw". I know 7 other GT500 owners and no one has had a 1-2 shift problem. I had over 21000 miles on my 2009 and over 11000 miles on my 2011 and haven't had a problem. Hope you get it worked out.

+1

Just rolled past 16,000 on my 2009 car and never had a shifting issue. I tend to blip the throttle quite a bit when downshifting as well and in some tight turns go from 2nd down into 1st with no issues either.

It's nothing personal, I have 780 miles on my car... although it took some time with the build sheet people its one of 3. The car hasnt lived up to my expectations. Again makes good garage candy which is one of the reasons I bought it. Overall, I feel like I bought an overpriced mustang with shift issues and poor fit and finish overall. Again this is my perspective and if your happy with yours that's great. It's great that some have bot had any shifting issues, but considering the many document "tests" apparently you are lucky since nearly every magazine or video test has mentioned a shift grind. Guess they also got a "grinding" car coincidence?

Sorry of some of this message seems off, I am trying to post. On a mobile phone and the site no longer works in

mobile format.

It's nothing personal, I have 780 miles on my car... although it took some time with the build sheet people its one of 3. The car hasnt lived up to my expectations. Again makes good garage candy which is one of the reasons I bought it. Overall, I feel like I bought an overpriced mustang with shift issues and poor fit and finish overall. Again this is my perspective and if your happy with yours that's great. It's great that some have bot had any shifting issues, but considering the many document "tests" apparently you are lucky since nearly every magazine or video test has mentioned a shift grind. Guess they also got a "grinding" car coincidence?

Sorry of some of this message seems off, I am trying to post. On a mobile phone and the site no longer works in

mobile format.

Keep in mind the magazine test cars are driven hard right from the get go. That can contribute to problems. I've never had any problems. Every manual trans car I've ever owned I've managed to miss a gear now and then. My GT500 is no different in that regard. It would be interesting find out what percentage of 2010+ GT500's have had shifting problems. Probably not as bad as many may think.

I never had a shifting problem with my 2010 GT500, or later with my 2011 SVTPP.

I don't doubt that a small percentage owners truly have a mechanical issue, but I also think some of the reported "grinding" shift problems are due to operator error...

I don't doubt that a small percentage owners truly have a mechanical issue, but I also think some of the reported "grinding" shift problems are due to operator error...

I think a LOT of it is because the trans isn't hot.

Phill

I feel I have to put my 2 cents in regarding this issue. I'm not planning on bringing my car in to Ford, nor do I shift my car often at high rpm's, but I do know that there is definitely some type of "issue" with 2nd gear. It just doesnt "drop in" smoothly like the other forward gears. I've owned dozens of manual tranny cars thru the years(incl a '09 GT500 currently), so I can be pretty damn sure that the "issue" is not tranny temp, operator error or the time of day......:)

I feel I have to put my 2 cents in regarding this issue. I'm not planning on bringing my car in to Ford, nor do I shift my car often at high rpm's, but I do know that there is definitely some type of "issue" with 2nd gear. It just doesnt "drop in" smoothly like the other forward gears. I've owned dozens of manual tranny cars thru the years(incl a '09 GT500 currently), so I can be pretty damn sure that the "issue" is not tranny temp, operator error or the time of day......:)

I wouldnt even trust ford for the repair. Fact is I'm old and even with my 60's and 70's cars.. specifically munice and Borg warner t10's you could dump the clutch at high rpm and liquefy the rear tire and melt them with the pedal mashed to the floor for a spectacular burn out through the first 3 gears ( kids love it) this car you look like a douche if you would want to run someone from a redlight (e.g. dead stop). Its not right, I have owned way to many vehicles, bracket raced, and been around far to long to be fed the BS. I know better, I have driven better.

Phil you are correct the tranny does behave better when warm. As far as repair is concerned if I would have anything done it would be through a professional manual tranny shop (I wont though). Do be misled, the couple instances I have ground going into second gear I have learned this isnt a dead stop launch car. No street credit.. I just play off anyone at a red light like... really your not worth my time. But most of us know your going to get your a$$ handed to you because your not going in second gear.

Sorry f this was difficuot to read.. the mobike version if the site still isnt working.

Are we all sure this is a transmission issue...or a shifter issue? I just ordered a Barton shifter and from what I have heard it completely eliminates the soggy feeling when moving between the gears. The Ford factory shifter is a piece of junk with rubber bushings to help eliminate the noise. With so much power and torque it tends to cause things to get out of alignment resulting in poor shifts. MGW and Barton and two different manufacturers that get great reviews.

I just ordered a Barton shifter and from what I have heard it completely eliminates the soggy feeling when moving between the gears.

How about a link to the shifter your purchased?

Thanks for everyone's posts! I'll still try to take it in to my local SVT dealer to see if they budge on it and at least have the problem noted, but a better shifter might be an idea if nothing gets done.....OF COURSE I love the car regardless, but even better if this glitch can be fixed.

I wouldnt even trust ford for the repair. Fact is I'm old and even with my 60's and 70's cars.. specifically munice and Borg warner t10's you could dump the clutch at high rpm and liquefy the rear tire and melt them with the pedal mashed to the floor for a spectacular burn out through the first 3 gears ( kids love it) this car you look like a douche if you would want to run someone from a redlight (e.g. dead stop). Its not right, I have owned way to many vehicles, bracket raced, and been around far to long to be fed the BS. I know better, I have driven better.

Phil you are correct the tranny does behave better when warm. As far as repair is concerned if I would have anything done it would be through a professional manual tranny shop (I wont though). Do be misled, the couple instances I have ground going into second gear I have learned this isnt a dead stop launch car. No street credit.. I just play off anyone at a red light like... really your not worth my time. But most of us know your going to get your a$$ handed to you because your not going in second gear.

Sorry f this was difficuot to read.. the mobike version if the site still isnt working.

I have to strongly disagree with the part of your statement I put in bold. It took me some practice but I can launch my car fairly strong 4 out of 5 times (sometimes certain road surfaces aren't forgiving). A fairly quick clutch release from just under 2000 rpm and roll on the throttle so the rear tires don't go up in smoke then pull second as the tach touches 6100 rpm....no problem...several SRT-8 Chally and Camaro SS owners(and others) around town can attest to the results of this launch technique and the fact that I could easily pull on them from a dig and continue to increase the gap in every gear. You can launch these cars pretty decent with a bit of practice.

Many have reported that you are far more likely to blow second gear if you're spinning badly in 1st and try to nail second.

A fairly quick clutch release from just under 2000 rpm and roll on the throttle so the rear tires don't go up in smoke then pull second as the tach touches 6100 rpm.... Many have reported that you are far more likely to blow second gear if you're spinning badly in 1st and try to nail second.

Maybe this is why I am not experiencing any issues with my car. I'm not a drag racer, nor have I ever been very good at getting any car off the line as such. With my prefered driving style I am going to wear my tires out in hard, fast corners rather than smoking them up. Based on your tale of shifting woe, I'm going to make a bold statement and say the transmission was not designed for drag racing and the problems you and others are experiencing is evidence.

OK...... now I've opened up a can of worms. Hang on. This should get interesting. :tease:

Spot on and well said.

Took mine in a couple of weeks ago for a battery failure of all things---pos post leaked and had a "mound" of blue residue that really screwed up the cables there. While it was in decided that before it is traded might as well let them fix the 1st to 2nd grind which it has had since day one. Had it at a different store before and the changed the gear oil to no avail and just never got around to getting it looked at again.

Got a call and they said yes we know what it is and have fixed this before---Ford will pay to tear it down Yeah! This will be good for the next owner because even if the car only has 8k on it the 2nd gear grind ruined the ownership for me. The Stingray will be ordered with the auto. They begain production this week on the new models...

Maybe this is why I am not experiencing any issues with my car. I'm not a drag racer, nor have I ever been very good at getting any car off the line as such. With my prefered driving style I am going to wear my tires out in hard, fast corners rather than smoking them up. Based on your tale of shifting woe, I'm going to make a bold statement and say the transmission was not designed for drag racing and the problems you and others are experiencing is evidence.

OK...... now I've opened up a can of worms. Hang on. This should get interesting. :tease:

I'm not sure why you quoted me in your post....I have not had any shifting problems with my car.

I'm going to go out on a limb and speak out for the silent majority...the 1-2 shift problem is a non existant issue for most of the 10,000 plus 2010-2012 GT500's produced. As a matter of fact it's usually the same 9 or 10 guys posting all over, in all the various forums....gets real old listening to this same old crap from the same old guys. I'm not saying some people didn't have problems....but there are far more people that have had no problems.

Someone is always going to have problems with something!!!

I'm not sure why you quoted me in your post....I have not had any shifting problems with my car.

I'm going to go out on a limb and speak out for the silent majority...the 1-2 shift problem is a non existant issue for most of the 10,000 plus 2010-2012 GT500's produced. As a matter of fact it's usually the same 9 or 10 guys posting all over, in all the various forums....gets real old listening to this same old crap from the same old guys. I'm not saying some people didn't have problems....but there are far more people that have had no problems.

Was half paying attention to who was having shifting problems and who wasn't... No worries. I have to agree with you on your other statement which is why I only pay attention to this forum which ultimately limits the amount of complaining you read. I've been fortunate not to have any problems with my Shelby (knock on wood) so I guess I'm part of the majority.

It's good that not everyone has had the issue. I suppose the magazines that have done reviews of the car that mention it just had a bad one. The fact that a Ford rep unveiling the 2013 video brought up the issue.... Like I said before it totally depends on how its driven. 1st and 2nd gear wheel spin is a MAJOR cause, once that happens once or twice you just don't do it anymore. With traction I have never had the grind, its just to bad I enjoy burnout rather than going fast. Personally I only know one other person with a GT500, his has some pretty significant performance mod's his grinds. WOT box eliminated the symptom.

Archived