TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1-2 Shift problems

Hi all, Has anyone heard if Ford is doing anything on correcting the 1-2 shift problems on the 2012 Shelby GT500? Everytime I try to speed shift from 1 to 2 I get a grinding of gears. All the other gears speed shift just fine I have been back to my dealer several times they tell me they can't find a problem.

George

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The few times I've tried a fast 1-2 shift above 4K RPM I've gotten a grinding rejected shift. If I wait just a fraction of a second after the pedal hits the floor, the shift is OK. Eventually I will get it into the dealer and ask Deysha to escalate right away. I'm not going to go 3 rounds with the dealer; I'd rather have someone from Ford call the dealer proactively, saying they know about my VIN and its shift problems.

http://www.allfordmu...-2nd-ideas.html

In short- PM deysha with VIN and your location to get the ball rolling. Had mine rebuilt at 600 miles. Fixed.

You click on the link, scroll down to Deysha's post, click on her name, click on the "Personal Message" (PM) button and send her the information she requests in her post (VIN, mileage, dealer name, etc.).

Phill

You click on the link, scroll down to Deysha's post, click on her name, click on the "Personal Message" (PM) button and send her the information she requests in her post (VIN, mileage, dealer name, etc.).

Phill

Thanks zimm I appreciate the help.

George

i'm finding myself following this topic...my '12 GT500 has grinded 1-2 on two occasions...two more occasions than I wish to admit. I'm not speed shifting, but certainly am trying to get from 1st to 2nd as quickly as possible. I called my dealer and he looked on Ford's technical bulletin, and to date there is no technical services bulletin posted about this problem on my VIN number. So I'm on high alert.

I did send Deysha a PM at allfordmustang as well.

Thanks All

Look up my post in here and you will find all sorts of info. The only cure is to get the transmission rebuilt with the listed parts under warranty. Once it grinds it will always grind and get worse. After that I did the below things to ensure no more issues. Also key is get a good size dealer that has a tech with years of experience in these type of transmissions.

1. I installed an MGW shifter to replace the sloppy stock shifter

2. I replaced the tramsmission fluid with Amsoil full synthetic

3. I installed a brace that connects the transmission to the car frame so no more twisting. This is important because no matter what shifter is on there one ond of the shifter rails mount on the transmission and the rear end to the car upper tunnel. So when there is torque and twisting that will have an impact on the shifter because of how it's mounted

My car with VMP mods is putting down right at 600rwhp and I have no issues anymore. I also don't speed shift because no need to anyway with this much power and fast revving the engine does.

BELOW ARE THE PARTS THAT WERE REPLACED

-7R3Z 7124A SYNCHRO -SPROCKET

-AR3Z 7102A GEAR MAIN SHAFT

-AR3Z 7100AB GEAR MAIN SHAFT

-7R3Z 7107A RING 1ST SPROCKET

-7R3Z 7A082A KIT TRANS CO0SPROCKET

-7R3Z 7124A SYNCHRO ASSY

-7R3Z 7107A RING-TR 1ST SYNCHRO

-7R3Z 7A082A KIT TRANS CONTROL

-AR3Z 7100AB GEAR MAIN SHAFT 1ST

-AR3Z 7102A GEAR MAIN SHAFT 2ND

Could be 1-2 more but this is what I recall. One was a blocking ring.

Has anyone had any luck dealing with Tasca Ford in Rhode Island on this issue? My '12 with less than 1k miles has it as well. I talked to the mod shop about it and the reply was to install the MGW because Ford was not honoring the claims anymore.

Joe

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I brought my 2011 by the dealer twice. He could not get it to grind, so I rapped it up to 6000 rpm and it did NOT grind...both days I was there. He said that he does not see anything wrong with it.

I have to say, I"m getting better at driving it. Just a slight hesitation and a hard deliberate shift works. I don't know what it is but I have grinded 2nd gear by shifting very slowly in town, especially around corners. Not sure if it was a lack of concentration on my part or what, but from what I can tell, the clutch is all the way down. Now that I have driven the car for a year, it grinds much less.

I think we are SOL unless we get a 2013.

Got mine back from the dealer. I dropped it off at my dealer on a Monday, the transmission dropped Tuesday, and the parts ordered on a Wednesday after my dealer communicated their findings to Ford. I got the car back Tuesday...8 days after I dropped it off. The "invoice" shows my issue as "there is a grinding noise heard and felt when shifting into second gear at or around 5,000RPMs". The next line says "Cause: faulty synchrnizer".

Here's the parts listed as having been replaced:

(1) 8R3Z*7230*A Fork - 1st and 2nd Speed

(1) AR3Z*7102*AB Gear - Mainshaft 2nd speed

(1) AR3Z*7124*AA Synchronizer Asy - 1st and 2nd

(1) 7R3Z-7A082*A Kit - Transm Contyrol Selector

(1) AR3Z*7107*A Ring - Synchronizer

Jury is still out on the results, but initial test drive did not result in a 1-2 grind. I will admit it's not the smooth shift you'd expect out of this vehicle either. I have to put on many more miles before I am convinced it's fixed. My first priority is going to be to drive a new model and compare the two.

Anyone have experience with a SoCal Ford Dealer that is experienced with SVTs and in this repair? With 1700 miles, I have grinded from 1 to 2 something like 5-6 times.

The car is newly in SoCal and I want to get the ball started on the fix. Any update on a TSB? Extremely protective of this car so want top service and treatment but don't want to grind the gears from 1 to 2 anymore.

Hi all, Has anyone heard if Ford is doing anything on correcting the 1-2 shift problems on the 2012 Shelby GT500? Everytime I try to speed shift from 1 to 2 I get a grinding of gears. All the other gears speed shift just fine I have been back to my dealer several times they tell me they can't find a problem.

George

Just get a MGW shifter and that should solve it. I've drag raced my car and found that if I just concentrate on shifting smoothly (not power/speed shifting) I don't have a problem with the 1 - 2 shift.

Sorry but changing out the shifter is not an option for me. I just prefer to find a dealer that specializes or has plenty of experience servicing Shelby's and this fix. It's a fix that Ford needs to correct in my opinion.

My 2012 has done it from day 1.. Went to Amsoil and it shifts a lot smoother but will still grind from 1st to 2nd! The fix will be a new Viper this winter :wub2::wub2: !!!! No luck at the dealer---Ford knows about this but will never do anything about it because of the $$$$ issues..

• 2 weeks later...

Mine has ground on a couple occasions. Today with the weather nice.. reading about the new zl1 camaro's mediocre 1/4 mile times I felt like practicing some launches. Drove the car for awhile, everything was warmed up. Didnt grind once, did 4-5 launches even bumped the rev limiter most of them and went right into 2nd. In the past it was much colder out and clearly that made a difference. I will say reading about the shift issue before I bought the car i spent a lot of time putting around 1-2 shifting through the neighborhood. I dunno, maybe that helped.?

I did enjoy seeing those 1st 2nd and 3rd chirp posi patches on the pavement. I know when I see some nice strips from others I always wonder what in the world could melt'em off like that.!

All, I too have had the issue from when my car was new. I had the dealer replace the tranny. At the same time they instaled a MGW shifter (which does feel much more solid than the stock shifter), synthetic fluid, and a one-piece aluminum driveshaft. It all seemed to make a poistive difference. Recently I installed a WOT BOX just to help protect the trans even more and all I can say is WOW! I wish I would have done this from the start. (The two step is pretty cool too :rockon: ) The shifts are so much better and smooth, not to mention the car is easier to drive. It is only $200 and any shade-tree person can install it. You do have to do some cutting and soldering and it will take the better part of a day but when all said and done it is a totally different shifting experience! I know some people want FORD to solve the problem but it is so much more difficult than that. Having FORD replace/repair the trans wont fix the inherant problem which is the remote shifter setup. We will still be bitching about this for years to come. Do yourself a favor and buy a WOT BOX. You will then be amused at all the posts about this issue when you realize how better it can be!

• 2 weeks later...

Some other people on different forums are now saying its the clutch and shifter assembly. Ford is switching out the 10-12 model clutch with the 2013 clutch. And also replacing the shifter assembly. From what I have read this has seem to have fixed the problem. NOT covering up the problem with a WOT box or a MGW shifter. I am like ShelbyLee in the sense that I paid a pretty penny for this car and I want the issue fixed correctly. FYI the parts #'s CR3Z-7B546(CLUTCH) & AR3Z-7400(SHIFTER)

Some other people on different forums are now saying its the clutch and shifter assembly. Ford is switching out the 10-12 model clutch with the 2013 clutch. And also replacing the shifter assembly. From what I have read this has seem to have fixed the problem. NOT covering up the problem with a WOT box or a MGW shifter. I am like ShelbyLee in the sense that I paid a pretty penny for this car and I want the issue fixed correctly. FYI the parts #'s CR3Z-7B546(CLUTCH) & AR3Z-7400(SHIFTER)

I read that one guys post on the ford GT500 site. The Part number you posted is the parts that just went into my wifes 2009 GT500 per the TSB for the 2007 - 2009 clutch drag problem.

024.jpg

026.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

035.jpg

036.jpg

039.jpg

Archived