TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1-2 Shift problems

Those that have installed MGW shifter, did the dealer install without issue? Seems they might not want to do this nor warranty it.

Well of course they won't warranty it. It's not their product.

MGW would be the company to warranty it.

Phill

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact that the shifter is attached to the trans AND to the chassis seems relevant to me.

It might induce some resistance in the shifting under full throttle. Makes sense to me.

For some other reasons, I was thinking about lowering my engine 3/4" with Steeda adjustable mounts that have poly bushings.

Maybe that should also stiffen things and limit the twisting effect of torque on the trans and on the shifter... ?

Anyone did that and have some facts to share?

I do not have any issue with my trans (2012 GT500 with 2K miles) but I am a "slow" and "careful" shifter anyway...

But I don't do any drag race or acceleration, I only do canyon carving type of driving.

I noticed VERY different behavior of the trans when cold or when hot, though!

When cold, I shift like a grandma...and it's kind of hard to change gears: It can take two seconds to have it from 1st to 2nd by maintaining gentle pressure on the shifter!

When hot, I can shift without extra care and without effort, up and down, any gear.

All of that with the stock shifter in place.

The problem is the rubber isolation on the stock shifter. basically, it sucks. I could not believe how feeble this stock shifter was compared to the MGW when I removed it. They way it mounts, the handle, the shift arms...Yeah I see why I would miss power shifts now. With my MGW in, and the fact my build has the new parts, 1~2 shifts are a thing of the past.

The real issue is that some cars has the upgraded tranny parts that Ford are replacing through the warranty work, and some do not. Even if you have the upgraded parts, the STOCK shifter can still cause the 1~2 miss. So until the Shifter issue is resolved, along with the Tranny part issue, this problem is going to exist for the 12's and 11's.

With my MGW in, and the fact my build has the new parts, 1~2 shifts are a thing of the past.

I will assume you mean MISSED 1~2 shits are a thing of the past?

Phill

The problem is the rubber isolation on the stock shifter. basically, it sucks. I could not believe how feeble this stock shifter was compared to the MGW when I removed it. They way it mounts, the handle, the shift arms...Yeah I see why I would miss power shifts now. With my MGW in, and the fact my build has the new parts, 1~2 shifts are a thing of the past.

The real issue is that some cars has the upgraded tranny parts that Ford are replacing through the warranty work, and some do not. Even if you have the upgraded parts, the STOCK shifter can still cause the 1~2 miss. So until the Shifter issue is resolved, along with the Tranny part issue, this problem is going to exist for the 12's and 11's.

So you tell us that the MGW solved your shifting problem between 1st and second.

With no other mods to the car.

Right?

So you tell us that the MGW solved your shifting problem between 1st and second.

With no other mods to the car.

Right?

Yes. As I said I had a Ford Engie come out and speak to me about what parts actually go into the tranny fix. As I said, the part numbers in my build are the ones that they put in when people have the clutch and shift issue. But, even with those new parts, the shifter is still the issue. The Engineer basically said, without coming right out and saying it, you need a better shifter. Either wait for Ford, or buy your own. I bought my own.

Since installing, I have not had a 1~2 problem. I can shift at wot, and it goes. If you look at the stock shifter its garbage. It really is. I am amaze that we pay 55k+ for these cars and this is what they put in.

My advice is to try to find out what year you have as a build, and then go with the shifter of your choice. To help anyone, my build is Nov 10.

So this is the 2nd weekend I've been without the Shelby. Looking forward to getting it back this week and it better be right.

For those that have had this repair, is there a break in period I need to be aware off before seeing if its resolved? I assume the dealer will try their hand at seeing if the repair resolved the grinding in a post repair road test so I assume I can do the same when I get it back.

Also, not sure how to describe it but before I took it in, when I shifted into second normally (not driving like a bat out of hell), it had a slight pause or bump before it went into 2nd fully from first. Is this normal or will the repair resolve that as well? Will the MGW shifter resolve this?

Thanks everyone!

Chad

Also, not sure how to describe it but before I took it in, when I shifted into second normally (not driving like a bat out of hell), it had a slight pause or bump before it went into 2nd fully from first. Is this normal or will the repair resolve that as well? Will the MGW shifter resolve this?

Thanks everyone!

Chad

+1 !!!

ShelbyLee, I have that bump your talking about. Its normal. I like to say the stock shifter is a 2 part shifter. Everytime I shift it takes 2 clicks to get it in pretty much through gears 2n-4th. 5th and 6th don't have it. But 1-2 has it worse than any other shift. Oh and try downshifting from 3-2 that one is REAL bad.

I would buy the MGW if it cures this problem. I think this is what is known for being "notchy". I could be wrong about that. But if the MGW makes it so that it goes right in without the hesitation and that double click or bump feel I would definitely be interested in the MGW.

Its funny if you push the clutch in and just push the shifter all the way left a few times without going into any gear then try to go into first or 2nd it slips into the gear smooth as butter. I wish it shifted like that all the time.

Its funny if you push the clutch in and just push the shifter all the way left a few times without going into any gear then try to go into first or 2nd it slips into the gear smooth as butter. I wish it shifted like that all the time.

I am going to try that.

So even the 2013 shows the same shifting thing!

And I thought all 2013 had a hopped-up tranny...to avoid this!?

The hopped up tranny is to avoid 1-2 grind. I have no 1-2 grind whether I shift with a cold/warm tranmission, whether the pedal is in all the way or 3/4 of the way. I can not make my car grind. Though I have yet to do a single WOT so it may grind then but I rather not test that.

Not too completely stock...I noticed you have aftermarket Red "GT500" floormats.

Your right I completely forgot about those. Ok my slightly modified car also has that 2nd little bump going into 2nd gear. :-). The original floor mats are in the box the Lloyds came in, and are sitting in the trunk.

Update, called the dealer to verify that all the parts that need to be ordered were put on order. I provided them with a list of parts including a new clutch and shifter that other 10-12 GT500 owners had replaced. Nope they only ordered 2nd gear synchro. Said they need to tear down the transmisson to verify what parts are bad. So now my car will sit on a lift until my dealer can figure out what parts are defective. Called my Ford CC rep t try to get the dealer authorization to order ALL the parts and all i get is voice mail and no return calls. Now I'm a patient man but they really are starting to piss me off. Its pitiful Ford should be ashamed of themselves.

I believe this is the solution to the grind/lockout is to have the shifter, clutch and syncro's replaced to fix the issue. Here is the repair list.

7r3z 7a082 a kit trans control selector

ar3z 7124aa syncro assy 1-2

ar3z 7107a ring syncro

1r3z 7052aa seal asy oil

7r3z 7052a seal asy oil

ar3z 7b096a Pin roll

ar3z 7102ab gear main shaft 2nd speed

cr3z 7400a control asy -gear shift

cr3z 7b546a clutch asy

Basically new syncro, shifter and clutch from the 2013 GT500.

Well, after 16 days in the shop, I picked up the Shelby last night. Transmission smooth but didn't test the 1-2 shift under hard acceleration yet. Shifts from 1 to 2 with much more ease...very slight bump. None if shifted with authority. Figured I would let the transmission break in slightly before I try under hard acceleration. Here is what they found/replaced:

1 AR3Z*7102*AB - Gear - Mainshaft 2nd Speed

1 AR3Z*7124*AA - Synchronizer Asy - 1st and 2nd

17R3Z*7A082*A - Kit - Transm Control Selector

1 AR3Z*7107*A Ring - Synchronizer

1 7R3Z*7107*A - 1st Synchronizer Blocking Ring

7R3Z7A082A - Kit Transm Control Selector Lock

Tech wrote: Road test and verified difficulty on 1-2 shift. Grinding into gear. Remove transmission, mount on bench, disassemble and found 2nd gear synchronizer teeth stripped. Synchronizer difficult to move into 2nd and blocking rings burned. Replaced 2nd gear, synchronizer and blocking rings. Assemble transmission, roadtest and return to Owner.

Can't wait for this weekend to have some fun! I think the MGW shifter in on my Christmas wish list however.

For the sake of conversation, there is a "suggested" break-in recommendation on the tremec forum. Basically lots of stop and go and work through all the gears. I actually did do this because I had read about the grind before I bought mine. I think it has helped, I have ground a few times always when the transmission and or outside temperature was cold. In the summer when it's hot out after driving a few miles it has never ground. But I can honestly say I never try to slam the gears with a instant 1-2 shift just out of fear of damaging the tranny.

Well, after 16 days in the shop, I picked up the Shelby last night. Transmission smooth but didn't test the 1-2 shift under hard acceleration yet. Shifts from 1 to 2 with much more ease...very slight bump. None if shifted with authority. Figured I would let the transmission break in slightly before I try under hard acceleration. Here is what they found/replaced:

1 AR3Z*7102*AB - Gear - Mainshaft 2nd Speed

1 AR3Z*7124*AA - Synchronizer Asy - 1st and 2nd

17R3Z*7A082*A - Kit - Transm Control Selector

1 AR3Z*7107*A Ring - Synchronizer

1 7R3Z*7107*A - 1st Synchronizer Blocking Ring

7R3Z7A082A - Kit Transm Control Selector Lock

Tech wrote: Road test and verified difficulty on 1-2 shift. Grinding into gear. Remove transmission, mount on bench, disassemble and found 2nd gear synchronizer teeth stripped. Synchronizer difficult to move into 2nd and blocking rings burned. Replaced 2nd gear, synchronizer and blocking rings. Assemble transmission, roadtest and return to Owner.

Can't wait for this weekend to have some fun! I think the MGW shifter in on my Christmas wish list however.

I guess they tore yours down before they ordered any parts..... had you wait for 16 days.... that's what I call great service... they should issue a TSB like they did for the 07-09's. Just plain sad and poor business.

Glad to have the car back. No issues have returned but kept running it through the gears repeatedly while it was warm yesterday to ensure the tranny fully broken back in before I try a high RPM shift from 1 to 2. Watched the video above and Ford should be really concerned about the transmission shift. A TSB can't be far behind for the 2013 as well. Shouldn't Tremec be concerned as well?

Archived