TEAM SHELBY FORUM

First Track Experience. Help

kawwy600

The 50th anniversary bash will be the first time I have ever driven on a track. From those of you who have track experience please give me some advise. Also my GT500 just had its 25,000 mile service and my front brake pads were measured at 7mm and the rears were 5mm, should I have them replaced prior to the bash? Thanks everyone and see you in 2 weeks!! :dance:

The 50th anniversary bash will be the first time I have ever driven on a track. From those of you who have track experience please give me some advise. Also my GT500 just had its 25,000 mile service and my front brake pads were measured at 7mm and the rears were 5mm, should I have them replaced prior to the bash? Thanks everyone and see you in 2 weeks!! :dance:

Bring an extra set of front pads. My advice is keep your ego in check and listen to your instructor. If you drive within your skill level and not over it, you will have a moment to remember always.

Yes, either extra set of front pads or Hawk HP + will serve you well. A high boiling point brake fluid may be helpful. Something like Motul. A helmet, gloves and thin soled shoes or racing shoes is nice extra. There will probably not be any passing (I don't know this for sure) and you will be grouped in Level 1 most likely. Warning... this could become addicting...dont say we did not warn you!!!

Also, if you can find the track on youtube you may learn the "line" ahead of time and that may help you learn the track. If you go to nasaracing.net and look under HPDE (http://www.nasaracing.net/?page_id=88) and read the articles on HPDE they may be helpful as well.

Have fun!

:))

If you drive within your skill level and not over it, you will have a moment to remember always.

Not to quibble, but if you went nuts and drove way over your skill level, wouldn't you also probably have a moment to remember always? From your hospital bed? ;)

All the guys here have given you good advice and I agree with them. Let me just add this..

Since this is your first track day ( you are going to love it ), you may have enough brake pads on your car right now. Sounds to me like you are around 50% or so. Double check that with your mechanic. That should be plenty for a novice and your stock brake fluid should be fine.

So if you are going to do only this one event without spending too much i would recommend running as is and bringing an extra set of what ever front pads you will use next.

If you plan on doing some more track days in the future put some appropriate pads on front and rear and put some good brake fluid in. Keep the pads that are on your car now for spares or the street if the new pads are track only.

These are heavy cars and they go fast. It's smart to have a well prepared car at the track. see you there.

Since this looks like the place to be for questions about the track, is there a horsepower requirement or anything like that; i.e let's say someday in the future I decided I wanted to attend some event with an instructor and all that, and I have a v6 which I am managing to scrape the bowl at 210 horespower; now what..?

All the guys here have given you good advice and I agree with them. Let me just add this..

Since this is your first track day ( you are going to love it ), you may have enough brake pads on your car right now. Sounds to me like you are around 50% or so. Double check that with your mechanic. That should be plenty for a novice and your stock brake fluid should be fine.

So if you are going to do only this one event without spending too much i would recommend running as is and bringing an extra set of what ever front pads you will use next.

If you plan on doing some more track days in the future put some appropriate pads on front and rear and put some good brake fluid in. Keep the pads that are on your car now for spares or the street if the new pads are track only.

These are heavy cars and they go fast. It's smart to have a well prepared car at the track. see you there.

+1

Stock pads and fluid will be fine for a first time on the track.

Since this looks like the place to be for questions about the track, is there a horsepower requirement or anything like that; i.e let's say someday in the future I decided I wanted to attend some event with an instructor and all that, and I have a v6 which I am managing to scrape the bowl at 210 horespower; now what..?

No horse power requirements. Depending on what track you run, the smaller, lighter cars will give these mustangs a run for the money. Nothing more humbling than have a souped up Mini in your mirror around every corner...

Archived