TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Trailer Shopping - Advice Sought

Madlock

I'm finally getting around to buying a trailer to haul my 2012 GT500 behind an E-350 SD XL Cargo Van (maximum towing capacity of 7400 lbs) and would appreciate any helpful guidance from those who've gone before me.

What is the minimal practical length one can get away with for both open and enclosed trailer types - bearing in-mind I have the full capacity of the E-350 to carry tools, tires, supplies, etc. Can I get away with a 16' open or an 18' enclosed trailer? Would an 8' enclosed trailer be wide enough for ingress and egress WITHOUT an escape hatch? Would an 8 1/2' width make an appreciable difference?

Also, is it considered standard practice to negotiate price as when buying a car? Absent the kind of published cost data available when buying a car, is there any way to determine what the factory-to-dealer cost or margins happen to be?

Finally, for anybody who presently hauls their trailered car behind a Ford truck with an integrated brake controller, is there any special kind of brake system I should specify to ensure full compatibility and functionality with the 7-pin harness and integrated brake controller?

I'd appreciate any helpful guidance available - including any brands that are of particularly high quality or good value.

I haul my gt500 in this....http://www.fthr.com/bumper-pull-car-trailers/model3110-car-trailer/. You need the 8'6" model and I believe mine is 17'6" in length... I really would not go smaller or shorter.

If you are doing car shows, etc. and have the room to store the trailer get an enclosed. for what you pay for the featherlite with air dam and other goodies (winch and e-trac) you can probably pickup a new Haulmark enclosed for same price. If you do not need new you can find great deals on used race trailers that are all setup... try to get all aluminum.

I haul using a Range Rover sport with no special brake package but I do have a special hitch with torsen bars.... no problems at all and that package comes in at about 6500 lbs... the trailer will and SHOULD have it's own brakes...

If money were no object check out the new BRE Aerovault! WOW!

post-26630-0-28425700-1330457284_thumb.jpg

post-26630-0-28425700-1330457284_thumb.jpg

I'm in the Military and I'm PCSing (moving) in May from Connecticut to Gulfport, MS. Looking at how to get my car down there. It is 1300 miles give or take. Don't know if I want to drive it down there, rent a trailer (Uhaul/Penske) or buy a used/new trailer as I'm only going to use it when I move again in 2 years.

If you get an open trailer, do you really need the fairing?

What should you expect to pay for a open or encloseed trailer?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Buying a trailer is a very tough and expensive decision. I've used trailers before I bought my own and found that the things that were most important for me to have were a workable escape door, that the nose of my car did not drag or scrape bottom at any time while loading or unloading, that I had space to move around inside the trailer without brushing against my car and that I had room for tools or other things I may need. I have an 09 GT500 and haul it in my enclosed Continential Automaster that I tow with my F350 super duty diesel. My trailer is 26 feet long and I think it weighs around 3500 lbs empty. From all the research I did in chosing my trailer, my advise would be to try to aquire a trailer at least 20 feet long so that you have enough room. I would definately make it 102" wide. I found for me that an escape door was a must. When I bought mine I measured the door on my car open and was able to build the trailer so the door could swing outside of the trailer making life a whole lot easier. My father has an 07 SGT and his car clears as well if he uses my trailer.I purchased my trailer from Troy at Aspen Transport in Thomasville, PA. His number is 717-793-9966. I chose continential because it was a better buy and had more standard features. Troy and his father own Continentials for their personal use. As for pricing not sure about that because I was quoted a price and found it to be fair. My truck also has integraded brake controller and I didn't do anything special with brakes on trailer and they work great .I hope all this helps you. Good Luck in your search.

There is a lot to think about here. I have an open trailer. Its by Trailex, CT - 8045. http://www.trailex.com/CT-8045.cfm I only have a F-150 so I needed a light trailer. Less wind resistance with open and easier to see around. I had to get an aftermarket brake controller for mine but I have the tow package so I just had to plug it into the harness under the dash. Enclosed is nicer but heavier. If you have the space and ability I'd go enclosed. My choice was ability to tow and where to store.

Archived