To cut, or not to cut

kraegar

Cut?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Should I cut my rear bumper?

• Yes
    • No

Need some serious opinion here.

I plan on going to dual exhaust, but doing so means I have to change my bumper in one way or another. My original plan was to go with a GT takeoff ($160 already painted, $85 install).

A lot of v6 folks say that rather then buying the GT takeoff bumper it's easier (and maybe even cleaner looking) to use a dremel and cut the v6 rear bumper. It's also a $245 dollar difference.

The thought of cutting my bumper makes me cringe, though. However, if I do cut it, and it looks like :censored: I can always go back to my original plan of buying a GT rear takeoff.

At any rate, what do you guys think? A link describing the process is here: http://www.mustangforums.com/m_555524/tm.htm

I just went out and looked, the factory cut side has a lip to it, whereas the side I cut wouldn't. The lip isn't visible unless you're pretty much laying on the ground, though.

Help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Tony

I say go for it. Just remember to measure twice (or thrice) and cut once. Read up on it before hand, and have a print out on what to do on hand just in case. You're a big boy, you can do it.

Yeah, I would do it, especially if you were thinking of going with the take-off anyway, you have nothing to lose but your time and patience chopping on that v-6 bumper. I have heard of others who cut out their own bumper with sucess. Not to say I would not notice, I am rather picky, just like you I imagine. I don't know a whole lot about the v-6 cut out. Is it just like the one on my GT's right side? Maybe you could somehow get a trace of the area so you have an exact way to copy it? I don't know, but I would do it. I have done all the work on my car myself. Check my signature, nothing major, but some would pay others to do the work, while I prefer to do it myself so I know it is done with care and done right. I don't even have any ramps yet and I did my Corsa's by myself. They turned out great, just took a little elbow grease and some patience. I also did my own engine mods, nothing major yet, just cold air kit, throttle body, and new tune. Once again, I say go for it, nothing to lose.

Need some serious opinion here.

I plan on going to dual exhaust, but doing so means I have to change my bumper in one way or another. My original plan was to go with a GT takeoff ($160 already painted, $85 install).

A lot of v6 folks say that rather then buying the GT takeoff bumper it's easier (and maybe even cleaner looking) to use a dremel and cut the v6 rear bumper. It's also a $245 dollar difference.

The thought of cutting my bumper makes me cringe, though. However, if I do cut it, and it looks like :censored: I can always go back to my original plan of buying a GT rear takeoff.

At any rate, what do you guys think? A link describing the process is here: http://www.mustangforums.com/m_555524/tm.htm

I just went out and looked, the factory cut side has a lip to it, whereas the side I cut wouldn't. The lip isn't visible unless you're pretty much laying on the ground, though.

Help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Tony

Tony,

If you cut it, there is a company that makes brushed aluminum surrounds for the stock cutouts on the GT500 that may help you get that "finished" look. Let me know if you are interested and I can find them for you.

Good luck,

Dave

Tony,

If you cut it, there is a company that makes brushed aluminum surrounds for the stock cutouts on the GT500 that may help you get that "finished" look. Let me know if you are interested and I can find them for you.

Good luck,

Dave

That would be spectacular, Dave.

I doubt they'd fit without some minor modification, but I'm sure it could be done.

The v6 bumper is not at all like the GT bumper, Yama. I'll have to post a closeup pic of the existing cutout today.... with my new bassani on it! (should be here soon)

- Tony

That would be spectacular, Dave.

I doubt they'd fit without some minor modification, but I'm sure it could be done.

The v6 bumper is not at all like the GT bumper, Yama. I'll have to post a closeup pic of the existing cutout today.... with my new bassani on it! (should be here soon)

- Tony

Tony, here is the info cut and pasted. Go to the link, and it's about 1/3 to 1/2 the way down the page. They are on backorder at the moment. I bought my engine caps from here, they were very customer service oriented. I think I said it was brushed aluminum, I was wrong...polished stainless.

Good luck.

http://partscheap.com/scottdrake05.htm

GT Rear Valance Exhaust Trim (Pair)

Give your new Mustang a retro look from the old 1965-1966 GT Mustangs with the new Scott Drake rear valance Exhaust trim. Made with rust-proof, Polished stainless steel and includes 3M adhesive.

5R3Z-5C299-05

Your Cost

$44.95 Backorder

Archived