TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Pit/fender stripes

sgt1020

I'll be the spoiler here....................................drivers side only.

Are the pit stripes earned at Shelby events or are they just added when you want to? I just got my Shelby a couple weeks ago and LOVE the pit stripes. But I don't want to be accused of being a poser if I throw them on there without "earning" them.

Are the pit stripes earned at Shelby events or are they just added when you want to? I just got my Shelby a couple weeks ago and LOVE the pit stripes. But I don't want to be accused of being a poser if I throw them on there without "earning" them.

Mod away SVALLIN3................no poser labels here. Send mrfarmdog a PM. He makes the best set of fender stripes for these Shelby's.

No poser stuff here. The pit stripes were just used to easily identify cars on the track. This was primarily used back in the 60s when there where multiple Cobras and GT350s on the track with the same colors. Often, the crews would find it difficult to spot the gumball numbers. So, they quickly added pit stripes for easy identification. Interestingly, some stripes were just on the fenders, while others ran across the entire front of the car. Also, some were single stripes while others used double. Point is, it's your choice of color and style. Although, I still think yellow relates to the Terlingua Racing Team. Go Shelby! Now, if we could only get Shelby Racing Co. going again.

No poser stuff here. The pit stripes were just used to easily identify cars on the track. This was primarily used back in the 60s when there where multiple Cobras and GT350s on the track with the same colors. Often, the crews would find it difficult to spot the gumball numbers. So, they quickly added pit stripes for easy identification. Interestingly, some stripes were just on the fenders, while others ran across the entire front of the car. Also, some were single stripes while others used double. Point is, it's your choice of color and style. Although, I still think yellow relates to the Terlingua Racing Team. Go Shelby! Now, if we could only get Shelby Racing Co. going again.

:yahoo:

Here is a recent picture of CSX2009... One of the Original Factory Team Cars from 1963...

post-8727-0-06999100-1330892960_thumb.jpg

Supposedly up For Sale for a cool $1.3M...

http://saac.com...p?topic=15370.0

Also a previous BASH pic of Bernie K's GT350 "Track Car"...

post-8727-0-37040800-1330893559_thumb.jpg

So it's really up to you and what you think looks right for your car...

post-8727-0-06999100-1330892960_thumb.jpg

post-8727-0-37040800-1330893559_thumb.jpg

So, if you went to Terlingua/Lajitas for the Shelby outing in 2008, and you inspected the officially-presented kit of numbers, sponsor decals, and "pit stripes", and you found

a set of numbers for each side of your car,

a set of sponsor decals for each side of your car,

and a set of pit stripes* for just ONE side of your car,

would you be likely to interpret that as an official endorsement of "One side only is correct",

or an indication that someone was cutting corners somewhere,

or "DO IT ANY WAY YOU WANT, DUDE, I MEAN IT'S YOUR CAR AFTER ALL!"?

*Complete with Mr Neale's © bunny profile.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I'll throw some questions out. My car is white/silver. I love both the silver and red pit stripes, but think Shelby Blue might be unique and cool too. The biggest thing I see is that some of the stripes appears sort of fat and beefy and some appear longer and narrower. I have a good friend who is a striping guy that could obviously do this, but I am sure others have figured out the right colors, width, spacing, etc.

I like the medium to wider width. The stripes on the Iashelbygt car look perfect to me. In particular, where have each of you sourced these styles and how much guidance was provided on where to fit them to the car?

• 2 months later...

Archived