TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Insuring a Shelby

jfxr242

My KR was just added to my standard American Family Insurance policy. $500/$1000 deductables, 7,500 miles/yr "limited mileage" use, and the premium was about $510/yr. That's with good credit and no tickets for both my wife and me. Absolutely no hassles like some of the other comments here. No mileage verification, no waiting periods, no hoops to jump through, etc. I called them up, gave them the VIN, and I was covered. After punching in the VIN she even asked "so that's a Shelby Mustang?"

American Family is not licensed to offer insurance in all states though.

• 1 month later...

Geico has me at 233 a month for daily driving. Keep in mind I've been with them for 8 years now and only have 1 minor fender bender in my 2000 Maxima and 1 speeding ticket in 10 years. It was just 65 in a 60 so no big deal there.

My KR was just added to my standard American Family Insurance policy. $500/$1000 deductables, 7,500 miles/yr "limited mileage" use, and the premium was about $510/yr. That's with good credit and no tickets for both my wife and me. Absolutely no hassles like some of the other comments here. No mileage verification, no waiting periods, no hoops to jump through, etc. I called them up, gave them the VIN, and I was covered. After punching in the VIN she even asked "so that's a Shelby Mustang?"

American Family is not licensed to offer insurance in all states though.

One item of concern, and you should verify. My dailys are with Farmers, and although the KR is pre-title Shelby, the VIN shows it as a standard GT500 as built by Ford, and as such, they would likely not recognize the specialty items on the KR (hood, splitter, wheels etc.). Thereofore I put my KR on the Chrome policy of American National which does recognize as a KR and agreed value for loss.

You should confirm that is the case with your carrier just to be safe.

• 1 month later...

No I'm not, I'm from the UK

Sorry I didn't see that in a previous post, I was quoting post #19. Odd that the American insurance companies don't recognize your previous driving and UK insurance history. When I was in Cyprus, the British insurance companies there accepted my previous US driving and insurance history. All I had to do was provide them with proof in the form of a letter from my previous US insurance company that I had been insured and my driving record was clean. It's been a while, but I don't remember the rates being to expensive.

How are you doing driving on the wrong side of the road? Look on the bright side, you don't have to pay a tax on your television. :poke:

i guess im going to start looking around. as it stands now, 29 no wrecks no tickets in a LONG time. have 3 vehicles insured with usaa and my house. my vehicle ins. is about 307 a month. roughly its around 65 for my f350 around 100 for my h2 and right at 150 for the shelby. they never ask if the car is my dd. just an est. of miles. ive never had to verify anything. hell i might start looking around. ive had the car for 2 years this october, and ive put about 15k miles on it. most were the first year i had it. she sits a lot more now that ive got my science fair project working.

Sorry I didn't see that in a previous post, I was quoting post #19. Odd that the American insurance companies don't recognize your previous driving and UK insurance history. When I was in Cyprus, the British insurance companies there accepted my previous US driving and insurance history. All I had to do was provide them with proof in the form of a letter from my previous US insurance company that I had been insured and my driving record was clean. It's been a while, but I don't remember the rates being to expensive.

How are you doing driving on the wrong side of the road? Look on the bright side, you don't have to pay a tax on your television. :poke:

No worries, not only did US insurance companies not recognise my previous history, I also had to resit my driving test (the fact that Id had a road license for over 30 years and a race licence for over 10 meant zero).... and I have to say every part of that process from the form filling to thr 5 hour classroom session to the "test" was a joke, none of it, IMO did anything to prove I'm a safe, competent driver... but its ok, there's a process and I needed to go through it, fair enuf. Cyprus is very British so I guess Im not that surprised about your experience. Driving on the left is fine, you get used to it within minutes...

Oh and yes I don't have to pay a TV licence but the repeats over here are so much worse than back in "blighty" !

• 1 month later...

So I got my 6 monthly insurance renewal through the mail the other day - great news, the premium has gone down.... All of $60 to $1,440.

And now I've just worked out that I think I did around 500 miles in the KR in the last 6 months. That means every mile I drove cost me $3 in insurance !!

I love the car, puts such a smile on my face everytime I sit in it and drive it but given the insurance costs I'm beginning to question keeping it. A KR in central Manhattan NYC just isnt practical. The first thing I want to do when I get in it is get out of Manhattan but the traffic is just so busy here to get out of town before the roads get clogged means getting up early and staying away all day hoping the roads are a bit quiter later in the day before you drive it back into town.

Archived