TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Insuring a Shelby

jfxr242

HI guys

Can anyone give me some information / advice please

Are there specialsit companies out there who will offer low annual mileage policies, perhaps with some discounts to Team Shelby members ? Or who would people recommend to insure a Shelby with ?

thanks

My 12' is just listed as occasional use with full coverage in CT and no limitations and the premium is low. If you have a vehicle that you would like to insure for over book value due to modifications, Hagerty Ins. is one of them. They specialize in classic and collector car coverage. There are others, but the car will need to be appraised and restrictions will apply.

HI guys

Are there specialsit companies out there who will offer low annual mileage policies, perhaps with some discounts to Team Shelby members ? Or who would people recommend to insure a Shelby with ?

thanks

I have both my KR's and the Hertz with American National, specifically their 'Chrome" policy.

Agreed value, generous mileage limits and low premiums (and I don't have a clean record, as I'm a menace to society)...

I have both my KR's and the Hertz with American National, specifically their 'Chrome" policy.

Agreed value, generous mileage limits and low premiums (and I don't have a clean record, as I'm a menace to society)...

There goes the neighborhood... :hysterical2:

HI guys

thanks

Not a auto specialty insureance company however!

My experince with State Farm as of Thursday 02/23/2012... $85.00 a month unlimited miles, prove the mileage to the insurance company when you buy the car and in 3 months they will call you to see actual additional miles driven. Based on that usage you may qualify for a limited mileage insurance plan. If you live in a region that you will store the car in the winter you can reduce the coverage accordingly at a 40% reduced rate. State Fram recognizes the car as a Shelby not a Mustang GT and insures accordingly. Seemed reasonably priced, My car is a toy so qualifing for reduced mileage insurance won't be a problem.

thanks guys, this is proving to be quite difficult given where I live (Manhattan NYC) and where I will garage it (common garage for apartment building but with 24/7 security) but still phoning around / seeing what I can get online

Not a auto specialty insureance company however!

My experince with State Farm as of Thursday 02/23/2012... $85.00 a month unlimited miles, prove the mileage to the insurance company when you buy the car and in 3 months they will call you to see actual additional miles driven. Based on that usage you may qualify for a limited mileage insurance plan. If you live in a region that you will store the car in the winter you can reduce the coverage accordingly at a 40% reduced rate. State Fram recognizes the car as a Shelby not a Mustang GT and insures accordingly. Seemed reasonably priced, My car is a toy so qualifing for reduced mileage insurance won't be a problem.

+1

I too have State Farm on my wifes GT500 and Mine. The coverage is very reasonable. They came out to my house and took pic's of the car for their record. I can drive the car anywhere and in the winter when I am not driving, they drop the insurance down to $7.93 a month for my 2007 and $9.49 a month for my wifes 2009.

When I am driving the car my 2007 is $55.94 a month and my wifes 2009 is $69.63 a month. Tana's insurance is now going to go down because she turned 50 on Jan. 16th 2012 so it should be about the same as mine.

Keep in mind we have no tickets or accident on our records and we insure our home with State farm as well so we get a discount.

thanks guys, this is proving to be quite difficult given where I live (Manhattan NYC) and where I will garage it (common garage for apartment building but with 24/7 security) but still phoning around / seeing what I can get online

Whats difficult about it... the price? Your insurance company won't insure it? What obstacles are you trying to overcome?

not the price no, companies are not quoting because of a variety of things (a) I dont have a daily driver (although I dont "daily drive"), (B) it wont be garaged in a lock up that only I have access to © I might take it to car shows. Those are 3 of the reasons I've been given for not insuring it but State Farm have quoted me so I'm getting there !

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there I'll chime in being an e-insurance agent. The $64 dollar question is how you will use the car. If you plan to use it to commute to work, then a standard auto policy will probably be the one you need. If the Shelby is a "toy" car (as i call it) and you have a regular commuter, than a classic car policy from Hargerty, Grundy or any of the other companies will work and probably save you money. Remember the classic guys will want to see a copy of the policy you have for the daily drivers and they will probably want to see a daily driver car for each licensed driver in your household. The classic policy guys typically are not too rigid on the mileage usage because they figure you will use it for pleasure drives, club meetings and events. Some have very specific language on being in attendance near the car when it is out. Ask for a sample policy and read it- try to understand it (the devil is always in the details). Rates change by state, so do shop quotes to get the best deal for yourself.

I use Hagerty myself. I know, from experience, claims situations that have been good ones with Hagerty (from my old agent days). Remeber the old saying: no-one is talking premium when they have a claim open...

Good Luck.

Getting older has some benefits. I'm over 50 & have my ins. with The Hartford via AARP. Full coverage no mileage limit $649.00 a year. My F-150 & home are insured with them also My total policy for the truck & car actually dropped $130.00 this year. That usually does'nt happen.

thanks guys, I'm out of the country at the moment but should hopefully be picking up my car in a week to 10 days I will see if I can get it cheaper, the dealer Im buying the car from says he uses 10 insurance companies so hopefully if I cant get it cheaper he can. The problems (why its so expensive) are due to that whilst it will be a "toy car" I dont have a daily driver (I live and work in Manhattan NYC so don't need one to get to and from work) and I will have to use the public garage beneath my apartment building, plus Im new to the US and dont have any clean driving history here

• 2 weeks later...

Just to bring back an old memory maker - I remember the front cover and inside article of a '69 or '70 car magazine that said that the 1970 Plymouth Superbird couldn't even be insured in New York City. Enjoy the rides in that 500.

$350.00 per month. I'd find time to call around. In 2 months you'll pay what it cost me for the year with American Collecters. Keep checking around!!!

Did you say $350.00 per month!! Holy crap - so $4,200 per year for 1 car. Were you a bad boy at some point or does some of that premium $$ have to do with where you live? :banghead:

State Farm will only offer personal liability insurance on the 2011/12 GT350 as it is a post title modified car. They do comepletely insure my 1966 GT350 either as a daily driver (much higher rate) or a classic (5000 mile limit, garage stored). But laws and regs vary for each state. The 2011 GT350 has State Farm for the personal liability policy and Grundy for the value policy. The GT500 is a Ford product that any company will insure, nut check the stated or declared value that is offered.

I got it for $250pm from Gieco, its a combination of me being a new driver in the US (only lived here for a year) (30 years experience, including 10 years racing cars in the UK), where I live (Manhattan, NYC) and where I park it (in my apartment building;s garage). Its fine, it would cost me a LOT more back in the UK!

Archived