TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GAH! Gashed my 700-mile-old SVTPP wheel.

Boidster

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU................

In an astounding display of dumbassery, last night as I was backing into my driveway I rolled over a concrete landcaping block with the driver's side rear. The block flipped up and scraped my wheel in a couple of places. One chip appears to be straight through the paint and primer to bare metal.

:censored::censored::censored:

So for any future dumbasses, the touchup paint color from Dupli-Color is NG FM 360, "Dark Shadow Grey Metallic". Here are the Google Shopping results.

And here's an article on repair technique. If we don't have a good wheel repair place around here, I'll just fix it myself. I probably should fix it myself anyway, as penance for my poor backing-into-the-driveway skills.

Ugh. That is actually a constant fear of mine. I have to back into my driveway due to poor basing underneath the concrete. It's caused it to become cracked and very steep. If I don't back in, I scrape the front. If I back in, I have to start on one side of the driveway and work over to the other. I've almost curbed the wheel a couple times. Stupid rental house.

Good luck. I have, from time to time, seen single wheels for sale if you want to try to find a replacement. Not often, but here and there. Maybe someone wanting a track only wheel would trade you plus some cash?

That's my situation almost exactly. Curb is too abrupt to go in forwards, and my truck is parked on one side of the driveway, so I come in at an angle and curve around the front of the truck to line up with the garage. Dang G:2s don't have enough traction to do it smoothly and I try not to burn up the clutch. Well last night I went a bit too far without stopping to gauge my distance from the edge. >THUNK<

It's not a show car, so as long as I can make the dings invisible except when up close, I'll be OK. The before/after pics I've seen on various DIY threads seem pretty impressive. I'm not a Bondo expert, but I expect I can handle a bit of filling and sanding. Worst case I still have a visible blemish and then I can look into a professional fix or replacement.

I was considering having my driveway approach re-poured this spring. I'm not "considering" it any more. It is now a definite plan. The sooner the better. My girlfriend's stock Civic rubs when it goes up our curb; it's really time to just fix it.

Curb rash happens to most of us, especially in early ownership. Dam it sounds bad when it happens! There should be a good rim repair shop in your area that can do it for fairly inexpensive. I've curbed both of my fronts and its about $100 - $150 for each to be repaired in my neck of the woods. They also give you loaner wheels while your without your oems for a day or so.

Curb rash happens to most of us, especially in early ownership. Dam it sounds bad when it happens! There should be a good rim repair shop in your area that can do it for fairly inexpensive. I've curbed both of my fronts and its about $100 - $150 for each to be repaired in my neck of the woods. They also give you loaner wheels while your without your oems for a day or so.

When I bought my Pontiac Grand Prix GTP I took it to the dealer for warranty work. Some idjit curbed the wheel and I took it back to them for replacement because I didn't think it could be repaired. After a little fighting with them (they said they didn't do it, I did but I had NEVER parked it parallel to a curb) they captulated and repaired it.

It was such a good job that I couldn't tell where on the wheel it had been curbed, and the wheels (optional for even a GTP) were clear coated with what I suspect was a clear powdercoat. To this day I'm convinced that they had a wheel repair specialty shop because their body shop was 'lacking', to say the least...

If you get someone who knows their stuff and you get results like I did, you'll be happy with the end product.

Phill

Archived