TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Who Owns or Owned this GT 500?

David Hawkins

VIN# 1ZVHT88S985117828

It had a Hand Signed Dash Plaque. The Dash Plaque is NOW on a 2005 Mustang GT that has been turned into a Shelby GT 500 Clone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VERY-SHARP-SHELBY-CLONE-2005-MADE-LOOK-LIKE-2008-/130651576263?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1e6b70d7c7#v4-43

$(KGrHqV,!ocE8VnjqYrCBPQ,Tpu2d!~~60_3.jpg

$(KGrHqV,!ocE8VnjqYrCBPQ,Tpu2d!~~60_3.jpg

Salvage ("rebuilt") title but not to worry :) The dash plaque probably came from a different salvage car.

Yes, the VIN# I posted is of the GT 500 that the Plate came from. The Car on Ebay is a regular Mustang GT with Shelby items installed on it. I thought the original owner of the GT 500 might be a TS Member and can tell us if the GT 500 was wrecked or not.

The dash plaque with the wrong VIN is definitely not a good idea. I guess running a Carfax on the dash plaque VIN could provide an answer as to the faith suffered by the "donor" car. Although the car generally looks good for a clone, color combo is not my cup of tea.

The dash plaque car, VIN 1ZVFT82H655104034, appears to have gone thru an IL auction around the same time as this previously wrecked 2005 Mustang GT. I have my suspicions on how that plaque made it onto to this "clone" but I'll leave it up for everyone to come to their own conclusion.

The dash plaque car does not show any accidents and CarFax records show it still on the road as of August 2011. The owner of the dash plaque car has not registered their Shelby with us so I have no way to contact them about this dash plaque.

Good catch David.

Steve

I live in Saint Charles, Illinois (where the location of this clone is) and I have never seen it around town or out on the streets. My opinion is it is a pretty poor attempt to clone a GT500. Be interesting to see if it sales and for how much.

Mike

Well, at least it looks correct as much as a clone could.

Except for the base color, and the stripe color, and the engine size, and no blower, and the speedometer, and the tach, and the dash, and the transmission, and......

I see clones of eary Z-28's and it drives me insane. The HEART of the Z-28 option was the 302 motor (1st Gen, 350 LT-1 in the 2nd Gen).

Cloning a car isn't as simple as putting badges (or a hood and wheels) on and calling it a <whatever>.

Chevrolet made 602 '67 Z-28's and I've probably seen 1,000 of them. ONE was genuine. Most of the '67 Z clones have runway stripes on them and they never put those on a '67 Z. Or a cowl hood.

And the '69 Z is worse. Damn near every '69 Camaro out there has Z-28 emblems on it and a true '69 Z-28 w/302ci motors are RARE as hen's teeth.

The same applies to a GT500. If yer gonna clone one, CLONE ONE. Get a 5.4L motor with a supercharger on it (Ford Racing supplies them), put a Tremac 6-spd transmition in it, paint it one of the appropriate color with the correct stripes, put a GT500 dash, tach and speedo in it, etc. etc. etc.

Same goes for a Super Snake but since there's nothing "exlusive" on a Super Snake (except the CSM *plate*), they're much easier to clone. I can't count on one hand how many 'cloned' Super Snakes (i.e. "Fake Snakes") I've seen for sale, mostly on e-bay. If you want to *duplicate* one, by all means duplicate one. But PLEASE don't call it a "Super Snake"! Or a Z-28, or a GTO, or a GT500, or a GT350 'Tribute'.

Just My Honest/Humble Opinion (JMHO),

Phill

The same applies to a GT500.

Same goes for a Super Snake but since there's nothing "exlusive" on a Super Snake

I was following along, and agreeing with everything right up until these two comments...There is nothing similar to the GT500 with any of the cars you mentioned. Ford has made literally thousands of these making them far less "rare" AND therefore less likely for someone to go to the trouble of cloning, ie; it's just not worth the trouble.

As for the Super Snake, while you are essentially correct with the comment about exclusivity, they've at least been modified, and given a CSM number by SAI.

Much easier to clone? Possibly, but worth the effort monetarily? Definitely moreso than cloning a plain GT500

Archived