TEAM SHELBY FORUM

67 GT350 Stolen Engine

I found out this week that the engine block and internals in my newly purchased GT350 had been stolen 30 years ago. The rightful owner purchased a 66 GT350 new Years later he had his block at an engine shop for some repair. The shop owner went out of business and took the engine with him. Well, it ended up in my car. My car's original had been destroyed when racing.This all happened in the San Francisco bay area. A registrar at SAAC found this after I had my car examined by a Shelby judge, Jeff Speegle. The owner was contacted and told of the situation. I had a nice conversation with him. We decided to swap blocks and internals. He has a non HP setup though the code is a 65 K. I will be recovering all my mechanic's costs associated with the trade. All in all it was quite an experience. How many times is an owner reunited with his original engine block after 30 years? The SAAC registry really came through!

SAAC is really fantastic. What a great wealth of knowledge and data they possess. It really is a cool story. I am so glad the gentleman got his matching #'s engine block back! Thanks for the comments!

SAAC is really fantastic. What a great wealth of knowledge and data they possess. It really is a cool story. I am so glad the gentleman got his matching #'s engine block back! Thanks for the comments!

That is story is all most unbeliveable. Great Job to everyone envolved.

That was very kind of you to swap blocks back to get the original back to the '66 owners car. Hopefully you are getting taken care of on your generousity. It is amazing that the SAAC crew were able to figure that out and put the two of you in contact with each other. Hopefully your getting a well built motor in the exchange. I'd bet the '66 owner is thrilled with this discovery. will you have it all sorted before Carlilse or SAAC 37? Hope to see you there!

Thanks to all for your kind and supportive words. For us, Shelby's are an important and emotional part of our lives. If I can make a Shelby guy's life a little more complete, then that makes my life a little more complete. ......

The most amazing part of this story ISN'T that the engine was found so much later. It's actually YOUR generosity and integrity. Wow. THAT's how people need to treat each other!

WELL done!

Jer

If I would have said no the rightful owner he would not have been able to do much. I would have had his block but my conscience would have gotten the best of me. The initial meeting went well. It took place at a mechanic's shop. It is amazing how the process seemed so easy at first. As we got more into it the event became increasingly complex. For instance, what type 289 block did he have? He is getting me codes and vin this weekend. What exactly are we swapping? Just the small blocks, which makes it pretty easy. Once we can look into each block, what about the condition? We will probably negotiate as we go along. The mechanic is totally neutral. It will be interesting. The rightful owner is a nice, fair guy and a longtime Shelby owner. I am confident we will end up with a clean deal with no bad feelings or complications. We both know that this swap is important. Things will be set straight. It won't really cost me anything as I have very good financial backup. I still feel good about this deal, but I will be glad when it is over! Thanks for everyone's support and interest.

The short block I am swapping for IS a 289 K code Hipo, 1966 vintage. Actual swap will start in 2 weeks.

Cool!!! Keep us informed how it goes. Like others have said, it is great of you to do this for the original owner. Glad it is working out for both of you.

Dan

• 2 months later...

I had a guy I work with tell me he was looking for a K code to start a project. I found him one last year at Carlisle complete, disassembled and cleaned for $3300.00. His comment was "I don't want to spend that much".......... I quit looking for him!

Good luck with your project.

• 1 month later...

Archived