TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2013 Shelby GT500 what is the list price

1970boss302

OK guys, how about some insight for the new guy that only wants a 'vert!?!?

I know convertible production numbers are WAY lower than coupes, but I live in florida...I'm all about 'verts.

What's the word on the price of the '13 Convertible? Any educated guesses from your connections?

Thanks

Add 10k to the price of a '12 vert.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"SVT Sales Reps" are idiots that know nothing. Cease production my ass. The car will cease production as soon as Ford wants to or their ALREADY AGREED UPON licensing agreement ends. Quit believing all this BS guys. Ford dealers know LEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS about these cars than we do.

Exactly. If I had a Benjamin every time I heard someone on these forums speaking of "Insider Info", "Ford Rep told me", "Ford Engineer told me", "Personal Connections I can't reveal" etc that ended up being completely false, I'd be able to pay for a new 2013 in cash. You see the same things every year.

Hey, believe whatever you want but there is no way this car is going to be close to the price of the '12. Does Ford have to price the car close to the ZL1? I'm not sure they do. Base price will probably be close but there is the Trac Pack and Performance Pack, those two options are going to push the price tag well north of the ZL1. 65k US is going to be my guess for this car.

65K for the convertible with electronics package maybe.

GOOD LORD!!!

So the scuttlebutt is a 10k increase over the '12 coupe, then another 5-10k over that!!!

Man, I must REALLY want this car!

Depends on the options you want. My fully optioned '11 convertible had an invoice of 53K after holdback and an MSRP of $60,705 and I made a deal to meet the dealer halfway between in March before any of the cars were delivered! I'm sure a fully optioned convertible with SVT, Recaros, Electronics package, track pack and all will probably be 75K MSRP. If you're patient I'm sure you can work out a similar deal, you just have to be willing to do some legwork and pit dealers against one another.

Sorry Grabber, I got confused...

"It is the same as the 2013"

Are you saying that the dealer fee for 2014 is the same as 2013?

or

The actual car for 2014 is the same as 2013?

Thanks,

-Pockdog

The fee that the dealers pay will cover them for both model years 13-14. It's 2K fee and then they can get both model years.

$65,000 for a loaded '13 model coupe is very, very high and a price this high will not have GT 500's jumping out of showroom floors. I do not see much market, or , minimal at best, for $65,000 Mustangs. If there was such a market, Saleen Extremes, Shelby Super Snakes and the high-end Roush Mustangs would be everywhere. This is further evidenced by the $57,000 2012 Shelbys that remain unsold even though production is down from previous years. The only exception to this will be be if Ford produces 2,000 to 3,000 GT 500's for 2013. If previous production numbers are an indication of future sales, "this ain't gonna happen!"

Sales might be "hot" for the first couple of months, but $65,000 Shelbys won't last for long. The apple has lost a lot of "shine" the last few years - especially since the prices have escalted yearly and past dealer admin fees have turned the buying public sour to the "shine" on that apple.

While Ford could have a winner with the 2013 GT 500, excessive pricing will surely diminish sales and make for some great rebates at the end of the model year.

These discussed price levels are a little spooky. I'm here, so obviously I'm a fan of the GT500, and am really interested in the 2013, BUT......When you start getting into the $65k range, you can buy a 09 or 10 GT-R. I see 2009 and 10 ZR1s for $77k on autotrader (asking price). I see 2008 and 09 Viper ACRs for $75k on the Viper club site and autotrader. Thats some pretty heavy hitting hardware. I know, so is the GT500, but......You guys get what I'm saying? At heart, I'm a pony car guy. Much more of a tough guy image and less about gold chains. I'm currently driving a Viper, but always crane my neck at those bad ass pony cars.....

I just hate to see the price creep get into this level where it starts to hurt the car.

$65,000 for a loaded '13 model coupe is very, very high and a price this high will not have GT 500's jumping out of showroom floors. I do not see much market, or , minimal at best, for $65,000 Mustangs. If there was such a market, Saleen Extremes, Shelby Super Snakes and the high-end Roush Mustangs would be everywhere. This is further evidenced by the $57,000 2012 Shelbys that remain unsold even though production is down from previous years. The only exception to this will be be if Ford produces 2,000 to 3,000 GT 500's for 2013. If previous production numbers are an indication of future sales, "this ain't gonna happen!"

Sales might be "hot" for the first couple of months, but $65,000 Shelbys won't last for long. The apple has lost a lot of "shine" the last few years - especially since the prices have escalted yearly and past dealer admin fees have turned the buying public sour to the "shine" on that apple.

While Ford could have a winner with the 2013 GT 500, excessive pricing will surely diminish sales and make for some great rebates at the end of the model year.

You obviously get it. $65,000.00 will not work outside of the few foaming at the mouth enthusiasts who will bend over at the onset. These prices for Mustangs are absolutely ridiculous because they simply will not work. The 12s were dead in the water long before the '13 specs were announced. There will simply not be a $10,000.00 base price increase, no where even close, anyone with an ounce of business sense can figure that out.

It was a different economy in 2007 and look at all those guys who paid the ADMs only to have a car that doesn't hold its value different than anything else. You can pickup 07-09's now dirt cheap.

Your absolutely right not to mention there was not competition and there was a "Shelby" frenzy. There is no way $10k worth of improvements were made.

There are tons of 2011 and 2012's left on the dealer lots due to the higher price, there will be plenty of 2013's next year as well.

It's a different economy but those who have the kind of coin to buy these cars aren't truly effected by the economy. They've got the money and the dealers know they do and nearly everyone of them is going to try for an ADM.

Anyone that pays an ADM after seeing what happened to the folks that did so in 2007 is just plain Stupid and deserves to lose their shirt. I feel bad for the folks from 2007, since then I do not feel bad for anyone that is stupid enough to do so.

A 100hp increase over the 2012 plus other improvements should normally justify a price increas that is more than just inflation based. That being said, and looking only at canadian prices, a Camaro ZL1 starts at $60090. The current GT500 is around the same price. I don't think that Ford can justify a $10K difference between the two cars. The additional horsepower may justify a slightly higher price, but not $10K. Unless Ford prefers to limit production volume through higher pricing and appeal to Shelby fanatics only, Ford has to take the Camaro's pricing into the equation, People that are not brand loyalists will cross shop the GT500 and ZL1 and a $10K difference may be a dealbreaker for them.

I do not think the HP difference justifies any difference, I think the IRS absolutely evens that out. It is a lot more expensive to add a well done IRS than to tune another 100HP, who really cares about the HP if you can not get the traction.

I was told by my SVT Sales Rep that as soon as Carroll Shelby dies, production of the GT500 will CEASE.

I asked if it would cease immideatly (mid year) or if it would cease for the following MY.

They couldn't give me a answer to that question but I *suspect* it will be the following year. Otherwise, if Shelby were to leave us today, they wouldn't be able to produce the already announced 2013 models.

I asked if it was just a "respect" type of deal or a licensing type of deal and same thing, no idea. I suspect a little of both because from what I know, Shelby holds the licensiing rights to the GT500 moniker (but not the Cobra).

So if what I was told is accurate, there may or may not be a 2014 GT500 in *any* form, let alone the new body style that is being talked about. I bantered with them about that and they had the same suspicion I have, that a GT500 may not be available but a "Cobra" (such as the old Cobra R) COULD be.

Only time will tell,

Phill

They will still make it, call it a Cobra or SVT. Could be better for us all, maybe they will lower the price everyone is paying for all those Shelby Emblems.

These discussed price levels are a little spooky. I'm here, so obviously I'm a fan of the GT500, and am really interested in the 2013, BUT......When you start getting into the $65k range, you can buy a 09 or 10 GT-R. I see 2009 and 10 ZR1s for $77k on autotrader (asking price). I see 2008 and 09 Viper ACRs for $75k on the Viper club site and autotrader. Thats some pretty heavy hitting hardware. I know, so is the GT500, but......You guys get what I'm saying? At heart, I'm a pony car guy. Much more of a tough guy image and less about gold chains. I'm currently driving a Viper, but always crane my neck at those bad ass pony cars.....

I just hate to see the price creep get into this level where it starts to hurt the car.

09 and 10 ZR-1's for 77k's!!! Really..Whats the milage??? been looking in the Car Gurus all over the US and can't find one with low

milage for anywhere under $86,000......... :shrug: ............If I could find a low milage 09-010 ZR-1 for $77,000 I'd jump on it real quick.

Could not agree more, price it out of the market and watch the Camaro continue to out-sell it like it is today. Most people are not Die-hard Ford or Chevy people. most people shop them against each other. At this Point the Challenger SRT is an absolute Bargain, 4 years ago it was the most expensive. Sad

Agreed I love my Shelby but for $65K I am going back to my Porsche days and picking up a Nice Used Turbo 911.

Anyone that pays an ADM after seeing what happened to the folks that did so in 2007 is just plain Stupid and deserves to lose their shirt. I feel bad for the folks from 2007, since then I do not feel bad for anyone that is stupid enough to do so.

I agree...When I bought my 07 GT500 I got it at MSRP and wouldn't have paid a penny more...Same goes for the 013 if

they indeed add an ADM which I can't see that happening anyway.

All these large numbers you guys are throwing around is starting to make me sick for selling my '11 so cheap.

I went to the dealer yesterday because they called and said they had the pricing on the '13 Mustangs....yep,

all of them except the Shelby.

As mentioned, the dealers know less than we do.

I still think we're going to see a base price really close to the ZL1 Camaro...only because it HAS to be.

I do not think the HP difference justifies any difference, I think the IRS absolutely evens that out. It is a lot more expensive to add a well done IRS than to tune another 100HP, who really cares about the HP if you can not get the traction.

While I agree that from a performance staindpoint, adding IRS to the Shelby may yield more "real world" performance improvement than adding another 100hp, I don't buy the cost argument. Pricing a car is not something that you do in direct relationship with your production costs. You price a car as a function of how much profit per unit you can get and how many units you can move at a specific pricepoint, while also considerning how the competition is priced, and how much of a premium (or discount) your car shoud get versus the competition, based on public perception, which itself depends on several factors (brand reputation, brand loyalty, performance, features, etc). Ultimate price point when you can achieve a healthy profit on each unit while selling in significant enough numbers so that the overall profit is the highest. If you go above that, you risk loosing sales to the competition.

Back to the cost vs pricing issue, if as an example, car A and car B are in the same market and are cross shopped by buyers that are not brand loyal, and car A can claim better hp numbers,better acceleration and better handling numbers than car B, most people won't care if car B's technical specifications make it more expensive to produce. People won't pay more for a product that does not perform better, simply because its manufacturing cost is higher. As an exemple, the Mustang GT with the 5.0 more often than not won comparison tests against the Camaro SS, even with its "outdated" suspension setup. The Camaro probably cost more to produce, but I'd be surprised if this was its biggest selling point. So if the GT500 is slightly more powerful and assuming that it is also slightly quicker on a straightline and on the track, I guess Ford may ask slightly more for it, no matter what the suspension setup is. If you read my original post, I did not think that Ford could ask a huge premium for the GT500 over the ZL1, only a slight one.

Having said that, even It we assumed that price increase should be a direct function of the actual engineering and hardware cost of the improvements made to a particular model, while is true that adding IRS to the Shelby would have added more cost to that specific car than changing the blower and increasing engine displacement, that is only true because the Mustang platform doesn't have IRS to begin with. IRS was already a part of the Camaro platform. This is different from the SVT Cobras where the IRS was specific to that model and engineering costs incurred to convert the Mustang chassis to IRS had to be absorbed over a fairly small number of units. The ZL1 improves on the standard Camaro suspension setup and adds electromagnetic shocks (already used on other GM products) but the basic suspension architecture remains the same.

Whether rational or not, from a marketing standpoint, big hp number still sell when you're talking sports cars or muscle cars (look at the muscle car war of the late '60s). With 650hp Ford can claim that the Shelby has as much power as several vastly more expensive cars, for instance the Corvette ZR1, while being priced much closer to a less powerful car like the ZL1. It obvioulsy doesn't meant that the Shelby performs better than the Vette, nor that its production cost is higher than that of the ZL1, but more goes into marketing and pricing of a product than production costs alone.

It's a different economy but those who have the kind of coin to buy these cars aren't truly effected by the economy. They've got the money and the dealers know they do and nearly everyone of them is going to try for an ADM.

BS, I certainly am and have had both a 2010 and 2011 GT500. I laugh when people think just rich people own these cars. The pricing of the GT500 could very well drive me towards a Boss 302 or ZL1.

Your absolutely right not to mention there was not competition and there was a "Shelby" frenzy. There is no way $10k worth of improvements were made.

There are tons of 2011 and 2012's left on the dealer lots due to the higher price, there will be plenty of 2013's next year as well.

Yeah with Dodge and Chevy having a car along with $2500 cash from Ford on left over 2011 & 2012 GT500s, there isn't much reason for someone to pay more than MSRP. Now I'm sure a lot of dealers will try to ask for it, some will get it, most will have cars sit for awhile until they come down to earth.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-prototype-ride-review

Article says starting price for the coupe will be under $60K but "not by much". So they will get pricey fast if you check all the option package boxes. SVT Performance Pack, Track Pack, Electronics Pack, Recaro's, Glass Roof could be pushing $70K depending on how the details work out and what is included in what pack. On the other hand "Ford would be happy with 10K a year" as far as sales and is making them on the same assembly line as all the other Mustangs to support the volume. So ADMs shouldn't be an issue for anyone willing to shop around a bit and some patience.

They will still make it, call it a Cobra or SVT. Could be better for us all, maybe they will lower the price everyone is paying for all those Shelby Emblems.

Exactly.

The only thing on my 2010 that says GT500 is the faux gas cap and the fender rocker sticker. On stipe delete cars, it's just the faux gas cap that says GT500 on it.

It would be real cheap and easy to change that to SVT or Cobra (which is pretty much what I said in my post).

Apparently someone on this fourm is too dense to figure out that they would not have to cease production of THE CAR, just THE NAME and that it wouldn't cost Ford "millions" to change the name from GT500 to Cobra.

Phill

"SVT Sales Reps" are idiots that know nothing. Cease production my ass. The car will cease production as soon as Ford wants to or their ALREADY AGREED UPON licensing agreement ends. Quit believing all this BS guys. Ford dealers know LEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS about these cars than we do.

Really Chris?

When I reflect back on everything this very same Certified SVT Sales Rep (& Mgr) told me regarding the changes for the 2013 GT500, it was 100% accurate.

For instance; The changes in the front facia, the changes in the front grille, the changes to the rear lights, the addition of the LED lights, the incease in engine displacement, the horsepower increase, everything.

What that tells me is that they know *considerably* more about the SVT line than you do.

So if they're "idiots".......What's that make YOU?

Phill

"Otherwise, if Shelby were to leave us today, they wouldn't be able to produce the already announced 2013 models."

ROFL. Ford will sell the 2013 as is, named the GT500, for the entire 2013 model year regardless of the life status of Mr. Shelby.

Uh, yeah, no shit. That's pretty much what I said. See where I say "OTHERWISE"?

Why don't ya try reading (& comprehending) a post before you comment on it. The whole post and not just specific lines of it.

Phill

rofl, no way.

2 - 5 at the most.

I agree with Chris.

Historically, it's been +$5K for a convertable vs. a coupe.

I doubt VERY much they will double the historic price, when they've added nothing to the 'Vert to justify a increase.

The 'Vert has also traditionally undersold the coupe so there isn't some new-found demand for Convertables to justify a price increase either.

Who told who that a 'Vert would be $10K over a Coupe???

I haven't heard anything of that nature. But that doesn't mean it's not true.

Phill

I laugh when people think just rich people own these cars.

I completely agree.

I paid more for my F-150 4x4 than I did for my GT500. Both on MSRP *and* OTD.

That wasn't a Super-Duty, it was a F-150 4x4. And not top of the line (Platinum) either.

And there are a HELL of a lot more F-150's out there than there are GT500's.

Phill

GUYS,

I get my order guides and price lists on march 3rd. I've got 15 customer orders to put in including my own. Let me know if you guys need any help with ordering a 2013 GT500 or have questions with pricing. i will have the second highest allocation in the United States. I sold the second highest amount of GT500's in 2011. Lost it by 2 units! This year I will be #1

Manny Galvan

AKA "mustang Manny"

GUYS,

I get my order guides and price lists on march 3rd. I've got 15 customer orders to put in including my own. Let me know if you guys need any help with ordering a 2013 GT500 or have questions with pricing. i will have the second highest allocation in the United States. I sold the second highest amount of GT500's in 2011. Lost it by 2 units! This year I will be #1

Manny Galvan

AKA "mustang Manny"

Manny, The million dollar Question is what are you selling them for ? Meaning MSRP or $500 under MSRP or ????

:lurk:

Archived