beyond the manufacture of Cobras. The order from Hertz in 06 assured Shelby

Autos could do the same.

4. In 65, modifications to the GT-350 were limited on the drivetrain as

Shelby needed it to qualify for SCCA B-Production racing. Changes to the

intake/exhaust yielded a modest power increase from 271hp to 306hp. Instead,

Shelby focused on how the car handled that power by extensively modifying the

suspension. In 07, Shelby applied the same formula to the SGT, a modest power

increase from 300hp to 319hp, and extensive changes to the suspension. This

allowed it to qualify for SCCA F-Stock autocross racing and T2 road racing.

5. The 65 GT-350 won three consecutive SCCA championships between 65-67. The

07 SGT did the same between 07-09.

6. The components installed in the 65-66 GT-350 were sourced from the Ford

parts bin to simplify acquisition, installation, and costs. The components

for the 06-08 SGT & SGT-H were sourced from the Ford Racing parts bin for the

same reasons.

7. To keep the engine warranty, in 65-66 Shelby mostly limited the changes to

intake and exhaust. To keep the warranty for the 06-08 SGT, Shelby limited

the engine changes to intake and exhaust.

I think I have most of the facts straight, and I'm sure there are more. None

of the above is new info, most of it sprinkled across different threads in

these forums. But it looks good when clumped together like this.

-Tom

Good comparison, and there is a lot of history behind each point. I don't know if you are old enough to remember the original GT-H but Hertz rented a lot of these on weekends. You guessed it. People rented the car to race on the track (but denied that is how any damage occurred). Another issue was people would rent the GT-H and swap out the 289 Hi-Po and replace it with a 289 2 or 4v. Hertz took a beating on some of these issues but it paid off in advertising and results.

An additional point is Shelby only made the GT 350 for 3 years, just like the SGT. Good research!

All well said. I would also insert that the SGT styling is closer to the 65-66 GT350. I remember the Road and Track article that came out in 2007 titled Time Machine. It featured a side by side comparison of the SGT to the original 350 and focused on how faithful the styling actually was. Performance wise I think the new 350's are very impressive, but honestly of all the modern Shelby Mustangs I feel that the current 350 falls shortest. I am not a fan of the front at all. The dual tip center exhaust is very euro and frankly belongs on a Lotus, Ferrari, or Lambo. The hood and the 350 lettering I would do without. There is the overall touch of what feels too much like a Flared out Hotwheels toy. It's missing the sleek/leanness of the original 350, our SGT's and the Terlingua. I think the GT-S looks closer to what a 350 should look like.

This is a topic that I've enjoyed discussing for quite some time now. The Shelby GT is essentially a retrobuilt GT350. Considering the 05-09 Mustang was closely designed to resemble the 65-66 Mustang, the projection is only natural. With the square bumper opening, the square front bumper sections, the low hood scoop, the side scoops, five spoke wheels, and rear spoiler delete, the Shelby GT has many 65-66 GT350 styling cues. To this day, it still remains the most closely related car to the 65-66 GT350 in terms of exterior appearance and build method.

To me, the Shelby GT is a GT350, without the extra numbers. Interestingly, two of the original names thought up for the GT350 were the Mustang G.T. and the Shelby G.T. . Since we all accept the G and T abbreviations, the period can be dropped. Ford has used the Mustang GT name since 65, which leaves the Shelby GT name. So, I sort of consider the Shelby GT name a nostalgic name from Shelby American.

On another note, the new GT350 is nice, but with the front splitter, larger quarter panels and rear ducktail spoiler, it resembles the 67-68 models more. And, I agree, the center exhaust is horrid. I don't mean to pick on the new car, but the Shelby GT is simpler and closer to the original car.

Here's a picture I used for comparisons.

post-24817-0-45685800-1329372258_thumb.jpg

post-24817-0-45685800-1329372258_thumb.jpg

Well, if we were all GT350 owners reading this, of course we would say the above was crazy....BUT....I don't care! I believe its all true. The Shelby GT, I think, will be one of the most sought-after in years to come. There is strength in numbers, and when it comes to cars, that means cars with low production numbers and exclusivity.

Take good care of your SGT's.

The grille running horse emblem used on the 06 GT-H is the same part number as the 65-66 left fender Mustang emblem, the same one used by Shelby in 65-66. The rear SHELBY letters used on the 06 GT-H deck lid, are also the same part number, pinned letters used on the early cars. (In 07, they switched to the stick on for ease and speed of production)

This is a great post. Any Shelby is a thumbs up car for all of us. One question - why was the 06 GTH listed at 325HP and all others are listed at 319HP - what happened?

Here is the answer from AJ on that one. This is from the GT-H history post:

"Copied from SGT site as it pertains to GT-H as well.

AJ, I have a question that has probably been answered before on TS, but I can't find

it. Why the difference in HP ratings between the SGT-H (325) and SGT (319)? Who

determined each?

Tom

The SGT had to be certified (pre-title car) hence the 319HP comes from the fed's dyno. The GT-H (post-title car) was dyno-ed at Ford in Michigan and it didn't have to be a certified number. So the truth is somewhere between and around those numbers. And on top of that California cars got a slightly different tune that was a couple HP less than the 49 state tune...

Actually your true HP depends on where you live, altitude, humidity etc... all those contribute to how much power you have. If you really want to know how many ponies you have under the hood, just throw it on the dyno... and then let us all know so we can start bench-racing :D

AJ"

Here is the answer from AJ on that one. This is from the GT-H history post:

"Copied from SGT site as it pertains to GT-H as well.

AJ, I have a question that has probably been answered before on TS, but I can't find

it. Why the difference in HP ratings between the SGT-H (325) and SGT (319)? Who

determined each?

Tom

The SGT had to be certified (pre-title car) hence the 319HP comes from the fed's dyno. The GT-H (post-title car) was dyno-ed at Ford in Michigan and it didn't have to be a certified number. So the truth is somewhere between and around those numbers. And on top of that California cars got a slightly different tune that was a couple HP less than the 49 state tune...

Actually your true HP depends on where you live, altitude, humidity etc... all those contribute to how much power you have. If you really want to know how many ponies you have under the hood, just throw it on the dyno... and then let us all know so we can start bench-racing :D

Thanks Jeff and AJ

The grille running horse emblem used on the 06 GT-H is the same part number as the 65-66 left fender Mustang emblem, the same one used by Shelby in 65-66. The rear SHELBY letters used on the 06 GT-H deck lid, are also the same part number, pinned letters used on the early cars. (In 07, they switched to the stick on for ease and speed of production)

Jeff, I did not realize that the 06 GT-H had the same part for the LH Mustang emblem as the original. I posted the following

thread when I pulled off the Scott Drake one off my 07 SGT and replaced it with the NOS Ford part. Did the 07 GT-H then

use the Scott Drake version as well?

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/68657-original-tri-bar-mustang-emblem/page__fromsearch__1

-Tom

Jeff, I did not realize that the 06 GT-H had the same part for the LH Mustang emblem as the original. I posted the following

thread when I pulled off the Scott Drake one off my 07 SGT and replaced it with the NOS Ford part. Did the 07 GT-H then

use the Scott Drake version as well?

http://www.teamshelb...__fromsearch__1

-Tom

Yea, same part number, but yes, the '06 did use the Scott Drake copy that the rest of the GT's have. I did the same as you and replaced mine with the actual Ford part when I painted. So the link is really in the part number, not the original Ford version.

Archived