TEAM SHELBY FORUM

RIP Whitney Houston

http://youtu.be/-6q5HntCUeQ

Too many of us—myself included—are guilty of making insensitive jokes about the demise of Whitney Houston, her frail frame, loss of one of pop's purest voices, and battle with drugs.

But none of us are laughing now.

On Saturday, Houston's publicist confirmed to the Associated Press that the award-winning "I Will Always Love You" singer died. She was 48. The timing of her death, the eve of the Grammys, the biggest music event of the year, makes the horrible news even more tragic. According to CNN, Houston was pronounced dead at 3:55 p.m. PT at the Beverly Hilton Hotel.

The Beverly Hilton is the venue for the music industry's most prestigious pre-Grammy party hosted by veteran executive Clive Davis, who discovered Houston.

In an industry flooded with novelty artists, who disappear after scoring one hit, Houston's longevity was unquestioned when she released her debut single, the ballad "You Give Good Love" in February 1985. The song's soothing opening ad-libs displayed her soulful roots while also celebrating her pop sensibilities.

Houston's sound was distinct, and clearly separated her from the funk-laden stylings of the era's other female R&B singers. Plus, she was a model who appeared in "Glamour" and "Cosmopolitan" magazines.

Houston's sound made sense when considering her pedigree. She was the perfect melding of the styles of her mother, gospel singer Cissy Houston; cousin, 1960s pop singer Dionne Warwick; and godmother, queen of soul Aretha Franklin.

Houston's self-titled debut album topped the charts and was certified diamond. Her career was impenetrable throughout the release of several follow up albums, 1987's "Whitney," 1990's "I'm Your Baby Tonight," and 1992's "The Bodyguard" soundtrack.

Houston's fans were concerned when she married R&B bad boy Bobby Brown in 1992, but they professed their happiness.

By the late 1990s, Houston's drug problems began to become tabloid fodder. In a 2002 interview with ABC's Diane Sawyer, Houston admitted to her struggles, but maintained that she was doing fine.

The public received its first real glimpse of Houston behind-the-scenes in 2004 when she appeared on Brown's reality series "Being Bobby Brown." The bad publicity move depicted Houston as profane, combative, and delusional, seemingly supporting the behavior of someone on drugs.

Among the saddest indications of Houston's fall was her 2009 comeback album, "I Look To You." While the album received positive reviews, her live performances signaled that the damage to her voice was beyond repair.

Concertgoers stormed out of her 2010 "Nothing But Love World Tour" angry, complaining that Houston was not fit to sing live, and they demanded that their ticket costs be refunded.

On stage, Houston made light of her vocal struggles, and even seemed to be confident when doing so.

But the public scrutiny intensified, and was followed by additional stints in rehab.

While the cause of death has not yet been revealed, one can only wonder whether it was drug-related.

Anyone who remembers Houston's early work and the impact it had on music can only be saddened by her death.

I extend condolences to her family and friends, especially her daughter, Bobbi Kristina.

If drugs did this, that's the real tragedy. It's a shame that so many people let drugs consume their lives. She was a great talent and a loved mother.

:cry:

So sad... RIP Whitney...

If drugs did this, that's the real tragedy. It's a shame that so many people let drugs consume their lives. She was a great talent and a loved mother.

Drug addiction is just like alcoholism. It is an incedeous and powerful disease...

Life in the fast lane..........................................some can handle it and others can't.

This world has many termptations and we have all sinned. Hard drugs tear people and families up. The addiction is so hard to break free from. Some never break free from it, but try very had to do it.

As for the media coverage, that is not Whitneys fault. Blame the media for not covering the deaths of our soldiers instead of being pissed at Whitney and her family.

Compassion for each other is important. It's a value that should be at the core of ones heart. However I see that the feeling of anger seems to run deep with many when they read about the death of Whitney.

Very sad.

Thanks Rob. I watched the Sunday Morning Show Without Charles Kuralt this morning and the section which was absolutely an editorial and now news pleaded with everyone to remember her for her accomplishments and to let the rest be private for the family. I couldn't agree more. It's sad to me that the media can't just have a 30 second obituary and be done with it but they have to harp on it. A friend of mine committed suicide recently and none of you heard about it, and the local press didn't mention it. It sucked but the bottom line is it's worthin thinking about but not focusing on. Sorry, nothing to see here. Move on.

P.S. A few of us know that Rob speaks from the heart here. He's right. Thanks.

This world has many termptations and we have all sinned. Hard drugs tear people and families up. The addiction is so hard to break free from. Some never break free from it, but try very had to do it.

As for the media coverage, that is not Whitneys fault. Blame the media for not covering the deaths of our soldiers instead of being pissed at Whitney and her family.

Compassion for each other is important. It's a value that should be at the core of ones heart. However I see that the feeling of anger seems to run deep with many when they read about the death of Whitney.

Very sad.

well said Rob!

Sad that she past so young, sad that she passed the way she did, sad that the media feeds off this stuff for ratings, sad that folks idolize some things to the extent they do.

It may sound selfish, but I will worry about me and mine first and then the rest, if everyone did that we would have a lot less problems.

Whitney Huston was a very talented/successful' singer.

Her personal life obviously had many challenges, as do All of our lives.

We all understand the grief of losing a loved one, and feel sympathy

for Whitney's mother, daughter, family and friends.

We All have lost someone in our lives.

Life can bring great joy and also deliver some extremely harsh challenges.

In some cases we have no choice in how Life 'serves up' our day to day lives, but thankfully,

for the most part we have the ability and opportunity to make our 'day to day' lives

'some what' predictable. Life is a great gift. Life can not be treated with 'Callous Indifference',

without consequence's. Choices make the difference. We have our 'Free agency' to make choices.

We All can learn from the 'preventable loss', of 'the life' of 'a great talent'

I'm kinda fed up with all the media hype she's recieving on this, I have no sympathy for people who are bent on self destruction.

sad...but come on now. on every news and tv station? she was a druggie by choice. my heros had no say in how they met their maker, they were just doing their job for our great nation.

Agreed...I have no smypathy for her or her family. They are what they are and I don't care about them.

Archived