TEAM SHELBY FORUM

A hauler for the SGT

2007_Shelby_GT

For the past year or so I'd been passing by this local auto shop with a 1986 Dodge "ramp" truck parked out front. It had a flat tire or two and never moved, just sat there looking forlorn and forgotten. Well, last week when I drove by, low and behold the tires had been repaired/inflated and there was a "For Sale" sign in the window! I decided to stop and investigate! The shop owner was not the owner of the truck - it belonged to a friend - and he didn't have the keys. He did say that he thought the odometer was correct (29K miles showing) and the truck had a new carb and ran great because the owner had fired it up to sell it. I took a slow walk around it - from a distance it looked OK, up close it was a tad rough. Interior was in pretty good shape, no tears in the seat and vinyl trim looked solid with no cracks. Exterior of the cab had some surface rust and the clear coat is peeling in places, but the worst part was rust perforating the lower portions of both doors and the drip rail above the windshield. As for the bed, some surface rust and the storage boxes underneath on both sides, though holding up, looked suspect for rust through. The storage box doors worked, but need lubrication. At the front of the bed was a center mounted Ramsey winch and a rack that had a yellow rotating beacon on top. (maybe it had been used for commercial towing) 360 V8 and (I think) an automatic transmission. I got the guys phone number, but haven't called yet - thought I would see if anyone here had thoughts on things I should look for and questions to get answered. He's asking $3600, which is cheap, but it has been sitting for some time and I know this can kill a vehicle and or turn it into a money pit replacing dry rotted items! I was thinking of making an offer of $2500, (and add a lite restoration budget of about $3500), to get a decent short range hauler.

Comments?

Sam

Hey Larry! How's she running!?

I may be better off just getting a light-weight aluminum trailer, but here's a pic of the truck:

ramptruck.jpg

It's got a pretty shallow approach angle, but could be modified if it's still to steep - the SGT can take about 10-11 degrees. If not me, maybe someone here has the time and money to turn this sow's ear into a silk purse!

Sam

Hey Larry! How's she running!?

I may be better off just getting a light-weight aluminum trailer, but here's a pic of the truck:

ramptruck.jpg

It's got a pretty shallow approach angle, but could be modified if it's still to steep - the SGT can take about 10-11 degrees. If not me, maybe someone here has the time and money to turn this sow's ear into a silk purse!

Sam

Sam,

Sgt is running great.

I just pulled the FRPP radiatior (came off Mustang challenge series car) I purchased used, as it had pin hole leak right beside where it was previously repaired. Hindsight probably maybe I should have purchased a new one.

Anyway got it back in on Friday and short test drive with no leaking :)

Radiator shop was great, no charge but no guarantee.

Did I say how tight a fit it is both coming out & going in. Definitely have to be patient.

Approach angle on truck deck looks reasonable, but until you attempt it you won't know for certain

What does it have for ramps (pull out, hinged or...)

What kind of condition is the rest of the truck in?

Engine, drive-train, tires, brakes, etc

My Dad always said "some of the hardest miles on an older rig are those just sitting...

Last fall I modified our 18' farm tilt trailer to haul the Sgt

Initially I thought the Sgt would load without much issue, but with the low front end I couldn't even get the front tires on the beaver tail

With the BFG R1 track tires the clearance is even lower due to the tire size

Trailer Mods:

3 ton hydraulic floor jack mounted between frame rails & lifting pad replaced with a high capacity roller matched to square tubing welded to deck cross supports, all mounted under front of deck

keeps the deck up while loading the car, then gently lets the deck down once car is loaded

5' 2x12 planks to extend the angle of approach & bypass the 2' beaver tail on the trailer

2x12 planks mounted on top of the trailer deck so that I can open the door even with a hinged fender on the trailer

Rube Golberg rockguard out of used piece of 3/4" plywood (for now)

Sgt on trailer tows like a dream behind our '98 F-250 PowerStroke Farm Truck (like new with 60K on clock)

4000 lb Superwinch with mount & battery holder all done, but yet to use it

Tow Hook from FordFan1 (thanks Kerry!)

I'll look for some pictures to post if you're interested

Larry

You get one thing fixed, and something else breaks! Glad you got it sorted out! Tight fit - oh come on, just because that thing is like twice the size of the stock radiator, guess you need to use more K-Y lub next time!
:hysterical:

Anyway, back to the ramp truck, I've just about convinced myself to pass it by. I don't really have the time to mess with it, and I'm concerned about what else I would find lurking underneath it's skin. I kinda like the idea of a ramp truck or something similar for the SGT - I think it reminds me of some of the hauling vehicles of early race teams, and since Dodge and Shelby have a connection, I wouldn't feel guilty.

I would also love to have a bigger, more powerful tow vehicle - the V6 F150 I currently have is limited to 5000 lbs - but that's not in the cards right now! I've looked around and Aluma makes a decent, light-weight (1200 lbs), trailer that my truck can handle with the SGT on board and give me a couple of hundred pounds of leeway. Once I get our Mini Cooper sold, I'll have some "play money" to look into bigger and better things!

Sam

I've got a 2004 24ft Haulmark car trailer for sale for 3800.00. The all you need to do is buy a 40k F350 to haul it around!

Archived