TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Baer/Shelby calipers

blueovalkid

I heard about this issue, I believe on this forum. I've had mine installed for 6K and no problems. I do keep an eye on them.

I installed the Shelby Front Extreme brakes and mine did leak some initially, but not enough to ruin the paint. It took several attempts to get the bleeders seated and tight enough not to weep. I have never tightened bleeders as tight these needed to be to stop the weeping. No problems since the initial install. There is a thread on Team Shelby about this issue with these calipers.

• 2 weeks later...

Others have had a problem. There's a thread about it on TS, Ford GT500, or SVTP. I don't remember which one.

Steve

It's here, on Team Shelby.

I was in on the thread. Mine leaked and like someone else said, I've never had to tighten bleeder valves as tight as I had to tighten these.

I think someone from Baer actually chimed in and gave a torque spec for their bleeder valves.

The problem is, the threads are cut/tapped *slighty* oversize so the bleeder want to 'rock' in the threads and they don't seat squarely. I believe someone linked bleeder valves that were oversize by ,001", .002" and/or .003"-.004" that fix the problem, without having to get a gorilla to tighen them for you.

I'd guesstimate that the problem occurs with just under 50% of the Baers reportedly being used by members of this forum.

If I mash on my brake pedal and hold it for about 20-30 seconds, I'll get a *slight* amount of brake fluid in my bleeder spout. Not enough to fill it and leak over the edge but enough that when I put a compressed air nozzle in and hit the air, it has fluid on the rag that I put over the bleeder to blow it out.

That is my final result, I didn't want to tighten it any more for fear of stripping out the aluminum threads in the caliper (and ruining a caliper, by my own fault).

You can search for the thread but I pretty much just gave you "the fix" (pucker yer butt and TIGHTEN THE SNOT OUT OF IT!). I tightened mine in 'stages'. Finger tight, then back off a TAD, snug, back of a TAD, tight, back of a TAD, TIGHT, back of a TAD, real tight, back off a TAD, REAL TIGHT, back off a TAD then a final REAL F*CK*NG TIGHT application.

YMMV,

Phill

• 4 weeks later...

The baer brakes are a problem. I have had to replace 2 calipers (rear) and a wheel which had the finish removed due to brake fluid. The bigger problem is that if you plan to track your car these calipers are just not engineered to take the kind of heat generated on the track. If you have an option to use wilwood or anyone else's product, I would make the switch. I am currently looking into putting brembos on the 350 and putting the baers in a box on a shelf to go with the car should I ever sell. If you can't have a dependable braking system on the track you might as well stay in the paddock. Baer brakes do not yield confidence.

• 2 weeks later...

For those looking for brake upgrades, AP Racing (a Brembo subsidiary) sells (through Stillen) a 6 Piston 14-1/4 inch front and 4 Piston 13 inch rear system. Both are available with slotted or cross drilled and slotted rotors. I have them on my car and love them, but they are pricey, especially the rears.

I don't this the letters are being powder coated anymore either

6859588166_41778e1038_c.jpg

They are. Brake fluid is nasty stuff.

Just wanted to show everyone Clint's calipers all cleaned up. If anyone else's calipers were damaged from leaking hardware and needs them re-coated, let me know.

dsc08585w.jpg

Broke the calipers down,

dsc08587a.jpg

and acid washed them to finish what the brake fluid had started.

dsc08616cp.jpg

dsc08620i.jpg

Masked off and sandblasted

dsc08643b.jpg

Powder coated red and getting ready to fill the recessed letters w/ black powder.

dsc08653w.jpg

This picture shows the clear coat before it's been baked on.

dsc08687v.jpg

All done.

dsc7744w.jpg

dsc7785cx.jpg

Ordered new hardware from Baer and used a little teflon paste on the threads this time around.

Has anybody addressed this problem with the Baer folks? I've worked out issues in the past and they've helped alot. Just wondering.

Teflon on the threaded part of the bleeders ( did not know it would stand pressure and nature of brake fluid)?

Oversized bleeders?

Mine weren't leaking around the threads. Mine will leak from the bleeder hole. The threads are sloppy and that's what I believe the problem is from. The pintle won't seat right due to the bleeder not being square in the hole. I have mine TIGHT and don't get any fluid leaking under normal driving but I can make it leak by holding the brake pedal HARD to the floor over a short period of time. Normal driving doens't require the same pressure so they don't leak while driving....

In my case, teflon paste/tape wouldn't help.

I have heard that oversize bleeders are available and do work.

Phill

Thank you Phill,

Will look for oversized bleeders!

If you can find the original thread on the leaking brakes, someone posted a pic and part # if I remember right.

Run a searh on my screen name and you might be able to find it. It's been awhile....maybe a year? Probably just under a year because that would be about when I put my Shelby/Baer's on my car (last winter, towards the end of winter storage).

Phill

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to show everyone Clint's calipers all cleaned up. If anyone else's calipers were damaged from leaking hardware and needs them re-coated, let me know.

dsc08585w.jpg

Broke the calipers down,

dsc08587a.jpg

dsc08616cp.jpg

dsc08620i.jpg

dsc08643b.jpg

Powder coated red and getting ready to fill the recessed letters w/ black powder.

dsc08653w.jpg

dsc08687v.jpg

All done.

dsc7744w.jpg

dsc7785cx.jpg

Ordered new hardware from Baer and used a little teflon paste on the threads this time around.

For what Baer and Shelby charge for these brakes you would think they would fix this problem and warranty the existing units. I personally wouldn't put Baer brakes on my car if someone gave me them for free. They're fancy looking street brakes at best. Want good brakes, buy AP Racing or Wilwood, that's good brakes. Oh yeah, and they don't leak.

By the way Brian, if I ever need calipers painted I'm sending them to you. Absolutly beautiful work.

For what Baer and Shelby charge for these brakes you would think they would fix this problem and warranty the existing units. I personally wouldn't put Baer brakes on my car if someone gave me them for free. They're fancy looking street brakes at best. Want good brakes, buy AP Racing or Wilwood, that's good brakes. Oh yeah, and they don't leak.

By the way Brian, if I ever need calipers painted I'm sending them to you. Absolutly beautiful work.

Yes.

Looks like the Shelby 1000 has Wilwood brakes...

I have the Shelby/Baer brakes Fr. & Rr. and I can't agree more.

The primary reason I bought the Baers over the Wilwoods is price. I got both of mine for less than $4000. That and they do say Shelby on them, which Wilwood didn't offer at the time.

If I were a serious track racer, I'd throw my Baers out and replace them with Wilwoods.

Phill

• 2 years later...

dsc08585w.jpg

Broke the calipers down,

dsc08587a.jpg

dsc08616cp.jpg

dsc08620i.jpg

dsc08643b.jpg

dsc08653w.jpg

dsc08687v.jpg

All done.

dsc7744w.jpg

dsc7785cx.jpg

^^^^Are you still doing restoration's/rebuild's on these Baer Extremes? I tried to send you a PM, but it said your box was not accepting PM's.

Robert

Archived