TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tire Pressure

07SGTC

I did a track day (Summit Point Shenandoah Circuit) using the stock (now 4.5 years old) BFG's. I started out with the 35psi, and ultimately left them at that psi and the car did fine. This may differ for different tires and tracks.

If you have a tire temperature gauge or reader you can play around with that at the track, and adjust air pressures to possible acheive more even temperatures across the tire surface. If you have camber plates you can tune this even better, on the fronts anyway.

I would have to go out to the garage to be sure, but I believe that the SGT's tire pressure is recommended on the door tag as 32 psi cold (front and back). That is what I run and it feel fine on the road and corners ( I don't put it on the track).

How would you adjust for track driving?

Some people will tell you to inflate to 40 psi for hi-speed road courses and some will tell you to lower to 25 for drag racing. Me, I'd just get another set of rims and tires for whichever type I was going to do. ^_^

I would have to go out to the garage to be sure, but I believe that the SGT's tire pressure is recommended on the door tag as 32 psi cold (front and back). That is what I run and it feel fine on the road and corners ( I don't put it on the track).

I think you're right about the 32 psi - that's what I run.

Don's correct about where/when to check, just remember that if you check on a hot day, then the weather changes and it gets cold, (or vice-versa), you'll have to readjust! I run at 34 psi for the street and 32 psi for the track, but everyone and every tire is different!

Sam

Don's correct about where/when to check, just remember that if you check on a hot day, then the weather changes and it gets cold, (or vice-versa), you'll have to readjust! I run at 34 psi for the street and 32 psi for the track, but everyone and every tire is different!

Sam

Am I the only one here that runs my tires at the tires "tire pressure rating"? The tires say 44, i do 44.

Ford did not make the tires, i don't care what ford stickers say. :runaway:

Some people will tell you to inflate to 40 psi for hi-speed road courses and some will tell you to lower to 25 for drag racing. Me, I'd just get another set of rims and tires for whichever type I was going to do. ^_^

You definitely don't want to drop pressures for drag racing on a radial tire. That used to work on old bias-ply tires (to a degree) but not these days.

Am I the only one here that runs my tires at the tires "tire pressure rating"? The tires say 44, i do 44.

Ford did not make the tires, i don't care what ford stickers say. :runaway:

You may be.

The pressure rating you mention is the maximum that should be put into the tires. At that pressure, the tire is designed to carry its maximum load. The manufacturer's rating (32 psi) is provided as being suitable for "normal" loads. Ideally, in a perfect world, you would calculate or know what is the weight of your car at each axle, then use your tire's load chart (if you can find one, because these days more and more lawyers are preventing their publication) to determine what your psi should be. Of course, like almost nobody does that w/ passenger cars, but I do that w/ my motorhome.

Using the manufacturers rating will definitely improve your ride over the bumps!

Edit - just checked - 44 psi on the BF Goodrich stock tires supports 1609 lbs, which for four tires is about 2000 more lbs. than the car's curb weight.

You definitely don't want to drop pressures for drag racing on a radial tire. That used to work on old bias-ply tires (to a degree) but not these days.

Years ago with the old Goodyear Polyglass F70's we'd pump the fronts to 45 psi (lessen rolling resistance) and we found the back ones worked best with about 40 as you got a full fuller foot print. I have not been to the track in about 15 years but over inflating the fronts to 45 again and dropping the backs down a bit (25 to 28 psi) worked best for me on 225/60’s on an old 5.0 Mustang.

The tried and proven method on drag racing with street tires was to do a short burnout and look to see it the tread pattern was the same all the way across. If it was lighter or darker on the outside edge on in the middle, you would increase or decrease air pressure accordingly.

Yes, 32 psi is what they recogmend for the weight of the sgt for normal every day driving. I always follow the door rating pretty close. You don't want to be running 44 psi for normal use, you will wear out the center of the tires at that pressure.

Yes, 32 psi is what they recogmend for the weight of the sgt for normal every day driving. I always follow the door rating pretty close. You don't want to be running 44 psi for normal use, you will wear out the center of the tires at that pressure.

Correct, the center will wear out. But, here in Chicago my tires loose air faster than i put it in.

So to re-cap, I do the max when i put air in, i get Less rolling resistance for a while. Then air leaks out, which Lowers my air pressure. Thus using the outsides of the tread.

Its a win - win.

Just curious.....why are your tires losing air like that? Seems like the best solution would be to fix that problem, and then run optimal pressure all the time.

I understand a standard tire competently mounted and valved might lose as much as one pound of air pressure per month. My experience seems to support that, although I nearly never lose enough between adjustments for various uses to require topping up.

Maybe he's checking them every year or two.

I understand a standard tire competently mounted and valved might lose as much as one pound of air pressure per month. My experience seems to support that, although I nearly never lose enough between adjustments for various uses to require topping up.

Maybe he's checking them every year or two.

Correct, once a year. Maybe twice.

I would rather wash my car than worry about air pressure.

Correct, once a year. Maybe twice.

I would rather wash my car than worry about air pressure.

I put 32 in and do the same thing :hysterical2:

Archived