TEAM SHELBY FORUM

March 2012 HotRod says 2013 Shelby does not top out at 650 horsepower

Crushinator

Sure, they watched an engine dyno session and it did make 650 horsepower, but here their quote...

"the dyno computer screen showing the proof. The 650 horsepower rating is at the maximum continuous rpw of 6250, but the redline is 7,000 at which point we saw 670-plus horsepower on the screen. But Ford probably doesn't want you to know that. In fact, we were asked to blur some of the proprietary data."

So in truth, the car makes 670+ at redline! All the more reason to spend my hard earned money on this beast!

Sure, they watched an engine dyno session and it did make 650 horsepower, but here their quote...

"the dyno computer screen showing the proof. The 650 horsepower rating is at the maximum continuous rpw of 6250, but the redline is 7,000 at which point we saw 670-plus horsepower on the screen. But Ford probably doesn't want you to know that. In fact, we were asked to blur some of the proprietary data."

So in truth, the car makes 670+ at redline! All the more reason to spend my hard earned money on this beast!

Yeah you should never have posted that...May cost me also.... :doh: ....Thats what they did back in the mid to late 60's under rated

all their hp ratings by not giving the hp reading at max rpm.

Keith makes a good point about padding horsepower levels, but does 20hp that much difference to be concerned? Those 335hp 428ci engines were way off; which were probably closer to 435hp level.

Quite possible, that would have put them a little under 400 under todays net rating system. The 650 or 670 available soon in a showroom stock vehicle is nothing short of mind bending. Who would have ever imagined this happening 10 or 20 years ago. This stuff is expensive but holly crap is this cool or what.

670+ hp off the showroom floor ! ! !

We are so fortunate that that Washington DC or the lawyers haven't stuck their nose into this, at least not yet. I predict many of us will be someday sitting in our rocking chairs telling stories of "back in the day..............."

Steve

Not yet is the word...I'm surprised they let it go this far but like the hp war back in the 60's it will end I sure...Well i

guess it has to somewhere...I can see it now 2020 Shelby GT500 factory stock 2000 HP...

Remember the 7000rpm red line is limited to only 7 seconds by the computer. so not a place to measure a true constant HP level....although you will see exactly that just to get a big 'dyno' number. Take the dyno run Up to the 7000 rpm level just to reach that higher number for bragging rights.

Remember the 7000rpm red line is limited to only 7 seconds by the computer. so not a place to measure a true constant HP level.

I'm not sure why some people bring this up. Go on youtube and watch any dyno video. When the car being dyno'd hits its max RPM and max

horsepower, count how long the person pressing the gas pedal holds those RPM's. They back off instantly.

When have you ever held your car at it's max RPM longer than say, one second? Never maybe?

Think about holding your current Shelby at 6250 RPM with the engine and supercharger screaming for a total of 8 seconds. Would you really

do that?

Give me a situation where anyone would hold a redline for longer than 8 seconds.

I'm not sure why some people bring this up. Go on youtube and watch any dyno video. When the car being dyno'd hits its max RPM and max

horsepower, count how long the person pressing the gas pedal holds those RPM's. They back off instantly.

When have you ever held your car at it's max RPM longer than say, one second? Never maybe?

Think about holding your current Shelby at 6250 RPM with the engine and supercharger screaming for a total of 8 seconds. Would you really

do that?

Give me a situation where anyone would hold a redline for longer than 8 seconds.

That's why a Dyno number isn't always indicative of true usable power....and yes those RPM's would be held for an extended period of time when on a road course for example, especially a 2+ mile one those RPM's are easily exceeded for way more time than a what you'd see on a brief Dyno pull... heck even on a 1/4 mile drag strip it's like doing 4 dyno pulls at one time... Obviously this engine is making more HP the higher the rpm up to it's peak so yes it will be making more at 7000 than @ 6250 but Ford chose to rate it @ the 6250 mark.

That said do I think the 13' power will be actually more than the rated" 650 ...yes I do based on what I know they've done to this engine over the stock 11-12's.

That's why a Dyno number isn't always indicative of true usable power....and yes those RPM's would be held for an extended period of time when on a road course for example, especially a 2+ mile one those RPM's are easily exceeded for way more time than a what you'd see on a brief Dyno pull... heck even on a 1/4 mile drag strip it's like doing 4 dyno pulls at one time... Obviously this engine is making more HP the higher the rpm up to it's peak so yes it will be making more at 7000 than @ 6250 but Ford chose to rate it @ the 6250 mark.

That said do I think the 13' power will be actually more than the rated" 650 ...yes I do based on what I know they've done to this engine over the stock 11-12's.

I think he meant sustained 7000rpm for 7 seconds...Even if you're on a road course would you really keep it at 7000 rpm's for that long

I don't know never road raced just asking.

I wonder how bad my Ford dealer would jack me on a trade in of my '11 GT500 SVTPP Sterling Grey w/ 300miles? It even comes with all of the signed serial# plaques/certificates. It is 201/410 in this color for '11.

My guess is you'll lose 5-7k from your purchase price. I'd mod what you have and save the bs depreciation from driving off the dealership lot...

I wonder how bad my Ford dealer would jack me on a trade in of my '11 GT500 SVTPP Sterling Grey w/ 300miles? It even comes with all of the signed serial# plaques/certificates. It is 201/410 in this color for '11.

My guess is you'll lose 5-7k from your purchase price. I'd mod what you have and save the bs depreciation from driving off the dealership lot...

I would venture to speculate that most 2011's will get less than $40k on trade for a 2013 by the time the first ones are delivered to dealers. That would be twice the $5-7k above.

Save your money and get a TVS...

My dealer has a new '12, silver with red stripes, sticker is over $57,000. They've had it marked down to $49,XXX for two months now and the car just sits there. This is not good news for us guys with '11's.

My guess would be very low 40's.

Ford has made a ton of these cars and they are just not selling well at all and have not for a considerable period of time because they are just too pricey for their intended consumer. Mustang guys can't or don't spend 60 grand on a car. The small pool of buyers willing and capable of buying a Shelby badged Mustang have had 6 years to pick from and already have one. Trading any of these prior years is going to be extremely painfull for those considering the dumpout and move up to the '13 model. Forget about 40s for a trade in on an '11.

The reason that car is still sitting on the lot is because it isn't a winter car. Who in PA in their right mind is going to buy a 12 now when they can't drive it? I've seen 11s selling on Ebay for 43K-44K. Can't say what a dealer will give you but I'm sure I could get 46K on Ebay for mine. Considering I paid 63K for it with tax I can't really call that a deal either though.

My dealer has a new '12, silver with red stripes, sticker is over $57,000. They've had it marked down to $49,XXX for two months now and the car just sits there. This is not good news for us guys with '11's.

That is still well over 50 grand with tax out the door. Nobody in their right mind is going to throw that kind cash at a '12 at this point.

My 2011 with SVT PP got $40k when I sold it back in Nov. I had less than 6,000 miles on it. You all are going to be in for a world of hurt if you decide to trade this summer.

My 2011 with SVT PP got $40k when I sold it back in Nov. I had less than 6,000 miles on it. You all are going to be in for a world of hurt if you decide to trade this summer.

Without a doubt...Just to big of a change from a 012 to a 013.

Archived