TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby K-Member Support Plates

Staff

Shelby K-Member Support Plates

72748.jpg

Shelby American's K-member support plates were designed to help prevent the floor pans from twisting under under the stress of high torque and road racing applications. These plates weld onto the sub-frame and the K-member bolts through them, thus allowing the force to be spread out over a much wider surface. Our plates were developed and tested under the scrutinizing eyes of the Shelby American Motorsports shop and are made from high strength steel to our exacting specifications.

Applications:

2005-2013 Mustang, Mustang GT, Shelby GT500 and Boss 302 models.

Notes:

This install requires an experienced technician.

New Product Release:

26 January 2012

Genuine Shelby American

For more information, please click here.

I purchased the Shelby K-Member but have not installed it yet. My question is are these plates meant to be used with the Shelby K-member or is it supposed to be used with the stock ford k-member or will it work with both styles of k-members?

Thanks

I purchased the Shelby K-Member but have not installed it yet. My question is are these plates meant to be used with the Shelby K-member or is it supposed to be used with the stock ford k-member or will it work with both styles of k-members?

Thanks

Yes, they will work with both Ford and Shelby K-members. On test cars here, we've seen floor pan damage, which is why these were developed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, I agree with NMAv, a picture of them welded on a car would be needed as there are no instructions shipped with the plates.

Also note that if you buy a kit you get two plates. You need two kits for one car.

As the plates are specific (Frt-RH / Frt-LH / Rear-RH / Rear-LH) you need to be careful to have a full kit...

Without seeing it and probablly a few member's feedback on the effects of the installation, I can't see spending money on this. Sure would be nice to have installation pictures Robert - or offer someone a discount to install them and document the installation.

• 3 weeks later...

+1 :camera:

Jonathan, did the development of this product result from the Shelby 1000 and testing? I'm just wondering what type of hp and torque would necessitate this type of modification?

Jonathan, did the development of this product result from the Shelby 1000 and testing? I'm just wondering what type of hp and torque would necessitate this type of modification?

+1

so stupid question but do you have to drop the K member to get these in? that could be a real B*T*H? Also do you need to order two sets to do one car?

You could get 'em in, one corner at a time without dropping the subframe.

The four bolts up front (two per side) would need to have the keepers pulled so you could lift the bolts up but they're just plastic push-pins and come out/in pretty easy.

I can see where if you loosened the rearward mounts then remove the two bolts on one side and pull down, you could slip a plate in. Loosen one side a little, pull the other down and slip in the plate. Repeat for the other side, tighten up the rear mounts then do the same on the front with a jack under the frame.

I know *I* wouldn't have a problem doing it but I just pulled my Shelby K-member....just because (added A-arms & centered the off-set I had in it from the first time).

Phill

Also do you need to order two sets to do one car?

Please answer the above question......... I purchased the Shelby K-Member and plan on instaling it soon I have the support plates in my cart along with a bunch of other items that are on sale. I do not want to spend $100 on these when I don't have it. I would assume $50 should be for a complete set of 4 plates but others here have said that you need to becareful and make sure you order a set of 2 which means you will get 4 plates.....please let us know if $50 buys four plates or if we need to blow $100 to get four plates?

With a measly 550 horsepower I doubt I even need them anyways.......What kind of horsepower is needed to justify these plates and why did you paint them on the car wouldn't it had been better to paint them before installing them on the car?

Great pictures. Thx.

We can see subframe connectors welded on that car also...and welded to those rear support plates (which seems logical).

But you do not show the front upper ones where the K member bolts to the unibody (next to the engine mounts).

It would be nice to see all four connecters welded

Okay I just called SPP and asked about these plates if two come in a package or if 4 come in a package. Justin stated that 2 come in the package and that they are only for the rear section of the K-Member and that you do not install them on the front and that there will be instructions showing you exactly how to install them.

A phone call will answer all questions.

Now I get it!

Thx NordicShelby!

They could have told us earlier ;) ...

Only the rear two points are concerned (the rear of the subframe bolts to the sheet metal as opposed to the front which attaches to rails which are much thicker and stronger).

The wide plate is for the RH side and the narrow one for the driver side (because of the wires and tubes running under the car along the frame).

Makes sense.

That is why we got only pictures of the rear two points.

That is why when I thought I had received only half of the kit and ordered a second one I received the very same parts...

Confusing but logical.

At least that story is sorted out. :happy feet:

post-22789-0-49822300-1335207268_thumb.jpg

post-22789-0-49822300-1335207268_thumb.jpg

Mine is a 650rwhp (VMP TVS) and I use it in the mountains.

It's a 2007 with 5k miles on it

When I took the K Member off to modify the steering (quicker rack & pinion) and lower arms (poly bushings) I noticed the contact area, on the body was warped...

Its not bad, but I could see the sheetmetal was bent from the effort transmitted by the K member.

You do not clearly see it until you bolt the K member off...

• 1 month later...

Great pictures. Thx.

We can see subframe connectors welded on that car also...and welded to those rear support plates (which seems logical).

But you do not show the front upper ones where the K member bolts to the unibody (next to the engine mounts).

Who makes those subframe connectors and how far back to they go? Seems to be welded to the car right along the frame rail. I'm again assuming this is part of the Shelby 1000 frame rigitity movement....

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can not imagine where and how the plates will be installed. Has somebody some detailed pictures or the installation instructions? My question is must the k-member be removed for the welding of the plates?

I will get that information for you.

Jer

Archived