TEAM SHELBY FORUM

86 GLHS press car for sale?

csxpauly

I was wondering if anyone could help with some info. There is an 86 GLHS for sale in MI claiming to be a press car. VIN# 1B3BZ18E6GD210949. Would anyone have access to any info on the car as to if it is legit?

Its a very neat car if its real.

Thanks, Paul

1986 GLHS CLONE

1986 MUSTANG SVO

1988 CSX-T (FOR SALE)

2007 TRAILBLAZER SS

2012 CAMARO ZL1 (ON ITS WAY!)

I was wondering if anyone could help with some info. There is an 86 GLHS for sale in MI claiming to be a press car. VIN# 1B3BZ18E6GD210949. Would anyone have access to any info on the car as to if it is legit?

Its a very neat car if its real.

Thanks, Paul

1986 GLHS CLONE

1986 MUSTANG SVO

1988 CSX-T (FOR SALE)

2007 TRAILBLAZER SS

2012 CAMARO ZL1 (ON ITS WAY!)

That VIN number is way out of range when compared to the 500 production GLHS VIN numbers so it would not be one of 500 production cars built for the 1986 model year.

Could it be some sort of a pre-production car? Perhaps but the seller would need paperwork from Chrysler showing the cars history.

Do you have some pics of this car?

Steve

we are trying to find out. the dealership does not know a ton about it, but we will keep you posted. Was there 6 press cars? pre production? I had heard one got rolled by a tester.

again, real neat car, the decals are a little different and there seems to be subtle differences......price seems ridululous though.

we are trying to find out. the dealership does not know a ton about it, but we will keep you posted. Was there 6 press cars? pre production? I had heard one got rolled by a tester.

again, real neat car, the decals are a little different and there seems to be subtle differences......price seems ridululous though.

Yes there were several "press cars" but most of those were actually production cars. The Shelby center in Santa Fe Springs actually used something like four to six GLHS cars in time trial contests to help promote the release of the first Shelby built Shelby in almost 20 years. And yes one of the GLHS cars was rolled by a auto magazine writer. This particular car was just recently crushed and no longer exists.

Let us know if you find out what the dash plaque number is.

Steve

Steve, is there any documentation or photos on pre-production cars? If not, how could this car be verified as a real GLHS and not a clone made from a standard GLH? The decals are different. It will be interesting to see what the dash number is...

Robert

There is a thread about this car on Turbo-Mopar.com

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?64053

I posted a lot of info on this car there and don't really wish to repeat all that typing. Suffice it to say it is not, never was a numbered car. It was built in Whittier though and has documentation of being a "pre-production pilot" car. This is the car that was used for the Big Daddy Garlits press vehicle to introduce the Garlits Supercharger package. The project never got any life though and died long before any production vehicles were made. This car never had the supercharger package the magazine article talked of. It had the same powertrain that was put in it at Whitter to be a pre-production model. The reference to it being a 4 speed in the Showdown ad is simply a mistake. The car has been repainted since it held the Garlits decals and body pieces. The NOS decals were placed by the previous owner to suit his design.

I captured the pic of the dash plaque and try as hard as I could, I could not get a resolution of either the plaque number or even the letters GLHS which should have preceded them. Best I can tell it is a blank plaque (yes some have been made after the fact by owners/enthusiasts).

Barry

Sorry about that. I can't keep track over there what areas can be viewed by the public and which can't be.

I know the previous owner of that car (Harvey). He had been trying to sell it for years but he wanted too much for what it was (in my opinion). I'm happy to see he sold it to Showdown Auto and he probably got what he wanted from them (considering what they are asking).

I saw the car one time years ago. It still had the holes in the rear hatch from where the huge wing sat on it for being the Garlits car. And even though it was repainted, in the right light and at the right angle some shadowing of the decals that had been on it from Garlits could still be seen. In the pics in the ad, it appears the hatch has been switched out as there are no longer any holes in it.

garlits.JPG

• 1 month later...

Archived