TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Supercharger 750HP Kit

wanted2b

Well, I've finally pulled the trigger on the 750HP upgrade for my 2012 GT500. Dealer ordered the kit and I'm just waiting to get the appointment to have it installed. Pictures and review will come soon. Thanks to all for the advice and support during the decision process.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I've finally pulled the trigger on the 750HP upgrade for my 2012 GT500. Dealer ordered the kit and I'm just waiting to get the appointment to have it installed. Pictures and review will come soon. Thanks to all for the advice and support during the decision process.

I assume you're going with the Ford Racing/Whipple 2.9L kit?

I have it (polished) and it's pretty amazing. Even with all I have, I still want MORE so I'm real glad I didn't go with a TVS. I figure I can have work done to my 2,9L if I ever decided to pull the trigger but for now, I'm good with just 'wanting' and not 'needing' (more).

The definition of Phillip is, "Lover of Horses". And it's true, I LOVE HORSEPOWER!

It's a never ending quest for more power,

Phillip Pollard

Can't wait for the feedback. Because you're going this route will they still honor your warranty? Who's doing the work? Mind me asking how much all in?

Well, brought the Shelby home yesterday. All I can say at this point is: Wild!!!! Yes the quest for more horsepower is never ending. Once the weather clears up for some decent photos I'll post some. I felt like a real dummy when I could not get it over 80. No one ever told me about an administration key. I thought boy did they really screw me over. I know one thing right now is, it doesn't take much effort to get it to 80. Once I figure out the settings I'll have a better feeling of just how it runs. I know one thing for sure I need some bigger tires under it. I have 295 35 20s on it (INVOs) I'm looking for some advice on what to buy, MT drag radials?????? I welcome all feed back. Hopefully by this weekend I'll have a chance to take it out and get a better feel for how it really runs.

Lover of Horses (that's good) I'm wondering why you're glad you didn't go with the TVS? It matches or beats the 2.9 in efficiency and some of the TVS set ups are monsters with number to match the Whipple. Add those factors to the ease of install and OEM reliability and I don't see the advantage, except as you say if you plan to go all out. Not dissing the Whipple I love the set-up, it's just that the gap has narrowed considerably between the two

I don't see the advantage, except as you say if you plan to go all out. Not dissing the Whipple I love the set-up, it's just that the gap has narrowed considerably between the two

Compare apples to apples (stock to stock) and where is the advantage?

Compare apples to oranges (modified TVS vs stock Whipple) and there is no advantage.

Compare modified apples to apples (modified TVS vs. modified Whipple) and advantage goes again, to Whipple.

Change a pulley on a TVS, then change a pulley on a Whipple and note which one is easiest to spin up! The TVS requires a puller and press, a Whipple requiers a allen wrench.

I'm getting the same horsepower out of my STOCK (and completely SAFE) Whipple 2.9L as guys are getting with their HIGHLY modified TVS's (and TUNES), all without spinning it to crazy rpm numbers.

"Heat" is your enemy.

Phill

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't been on the board much lately, but I do have some feed back on the new set up. Had it on the dyno today. Not exactly happy with the results, but he said I need some tweeking. 6100 rpm, forth gear, 554 rwhp 431 rwtq. The operator said that the car is running lean and could do a lot better with a different tune. They installed the factory Ford Racing tune that came with the kit. I made some videos of the different pulls and once I figure out how to get them off my phone, I'll post them here. I really figured that it would pull down 600 to 650 hp at the rear wheels. What do you think.

I really figured that it would pull down 600 to 650 hp at the rear wheels. What do you think.

Yes, something isn't right. Others have reported the typical 15% parasitic loss which should give you 637.5 RWHP (750 crank HP - 15%/112.5 = 637.5 rear wheel HP).

EDIT: Ford Racing is *very* honest with their HP figures. The 750HP Whipple is well known for giving you....750HP at the crank.

Lean? If anything, Ford is going to go the other way to prevent damage so I suspect there's a problem somewhere. Did you get the complete FRPP kit, including Pro-Cal & tune (and TB, zip tube, MAF housing, Air Filter, etc.)?

Phill

Not sure exactly what is happening with the car, but going back to the installer next week to have it checked out. May need some more runs on a dyno with someone who really knows Mustangs. Problem I have I live in the sticks and dynos aren't real plentiful in this area. Have to hit the Seattle area to find someone who knows Mustangs.

Had my appt at the installers on Tues and I'm still waiting for them to call back. Guess they had to call Ford Racing and give them a read out of all the settings. In conversation I discovered that a Mustang Dyno reads about 12% less than a Dyno-Jet. Now I get to make a trip to the west side and get some help from Brad's Custom Auto. More to come

Seriously folks, there is such a thing as too much power. My current Shelby made 763 RWHP on 91 octane with the Kenne Bell 3.6LC, at 90MPH I can downshift from 6th to 5th and still go sideways...not fun for me. I detuned my car to make it driveable. I get made fun of for driving a 650 RWHP Mercedes AMG all the time by my customers and friends, but seriously, Ford's traction control is terrible. I can punch my Mercedes at 90 MPH in the rain and it does its "little dance" and then hooks, while never getting out of its own lane. Do that in Shelby and you will be 4 lanes over or flip it. I have driven a 13 500 and it is not much better. Focus on your suspension before trying for more power...

Alex

+1 Friend has Super Snake amd 660 rwhp My is evolution Stage 1 505 rwhp ...I blow him off 2.5 cars before he even knows it's happening...Both of us running street tires.. .Suspension BEfore HP....

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly!! I'm having the suspension modified soon. LCRs, panhard bar and upper (adjustable) control arm. Haven't decided if the relocation brackets are needed at this point. Any and all information on the rear suspension mods would be helpful. No news from Ford Racing on the performance of the new SC.

• 3 weeks later...

Still waiting to get the suspension set up. Took it for a road trip to Boise on the 25th and the car ran flawlessly. One small problem is, it dies when making exits. Just back off and it dies. Hopefully I can get this problem resolved soon. Thanks to you all for the feed back and support. The TS members are the greatest. :happy feet:

hey wanted2b...did the hp numbers get sorted out???..Were you satisfied with the dealer that did the install??..What if I may ask did they charge you for the install??also did you install a 1-piece DS with that hp level???Sorry for all the questions...Trying to make a decision myself....Thxs

The September 2010 MM/FF did the full FRPP 2.9, Twin Screw 750 HP Kit and install at Downs Ford, on a '10 Gt 500... They put the car on a Dynojet and it put down 675 Rwhp, 629Rwtq. They had a Tuner look over the numbers and he remarked that it was lean as the A/F was a steady 12.5 through the power-band... HMM, Ford Racing Kit, Frpp Pro-cal Tune and install by a Ford Dealer... Great numbers. Coming from the Term. world, we liked to see the A/F begin with an 11, kinda lean, no??... Interesting...

12.5 is OK for n/a application but VERY lean for a boosted car. Very surprised..something ain't right. I'm wondering if he used a wide band or sniffer.

12.5 is WAY rich for a N/A car unless you're running 16:1 compression ratio.

12.6:1 is technically ideal for max power, but again that's at a high compression ratio.

I've found 13.2-13.8 is where you gain the most power on a street car. Anything richer than that and you start losing power.

On a forced induction engine, I'm thinking Ford Racing has it at 12.5 for reasons of emission standards. Remember, you can get more power from a 2.9L Whipple, but not in "street legal" terms.

I see some of the "well known tuners" running them in the 11:1 range but they're trying to eek out every bit of HP they can get for bragging (and selling) rights. Ford Racing isn't trying to get *Max* power from them, they're trying to get *Legal* power from them (and be safe on the engine).

Phill

Interesting Phill. I can see FRPP erring to the lean side because of emissions, but with the boost that Whipple is producing 12.5 seems right on the edge and out of my comfort zone. I never had my TVS pro cal checked but I assume it's similar.

My guess is that they used a tail pipe sniffer, and I don't think it matters, Even if it's at 12.0 at the Bung, it's still too lean.... Great numbers , maybe that's why??? I'm in Ca. the home of 91 Octane "Premium", more critical here, I guess....

I'm in Ca. the home of 91 Octane "Premium", <snip>

Same her in CO but our regular is 2 points lower than CA.

I used to get 93 octane at Union 76 stations in CA. No more?

Phill

Nope, no 93 available in S. Ca. that I can find..... It is hard to believe that a FRPP Tune on the 2.9 Kit runs at 12.5 A/F.....Running richer is simply safer, especially on our 91.... I have the FRPP Tuner, Tune and Cai on my 09 and it runs high 10's- mid. 11's through a tail-pipe sniffer... Many Tuners have told me the FRPP Tunes are ALWAYS conservative, and rich...Doesn't make sense... Going to a Dyno Day on Sat, I'll ask around....

Nope, no 93 available in S. Ca. that I can find..... It is hard to believe that a FRPP Tune on the 2.9 Kit runs at 12.5 A/F.....Running richer is simply safer, especially on our 91.... I have the FRPP Tuner, Tune and Cai on my 09 and it runs high 10's- mid. 11's through a tail-pipe sniffer... Many Tuners have told me the FRPP Tunes are ALWAYS conservative, and rich...Doesn't make sense... Going to a Dyno Day on Sat, I'll ask around....

Hmm. With all of the safety parameters built into a FRPP tune (CAT, exh. valve, etc.) I just *assumed* that the lean AFR was where they set it at for emission standards.

I wonder if the guy's UEGO sensor in his Dyno is on its way out and giving him a false lean reading.

Phill

Same her in CO but our regular is 2 points lower than CA.

I used to get 93 octane at Union 76 stations in CA. No more?

Phill

Phill, is the best you can do in CS 91 (assuming so, but hoping otherwise)? Do you run any sort of additive?

Phill, is the best you can do in CS 91 (assuming so, but hoping otherwise)? Do you run any sort of additive?

No, no additives. But I also live at 6000'+ ASL so we can get away with a lower octane than at Sea Level....

Phill

Archived