TEAM SHELBY FORUM

More than 20 GT500KRs for sale on cars.com

Ford Fest

Wow! There is a wide range of pricing on KR Mustangs out there. You typically see anywhere from $40,000+ to $69,000, but I found two individuals selling extremely low mile cars for $31,000 - $36,900. These cars are selling for the same price as a higher mileage standard GT500.

What gives???

http://www.cars.com/...onal&listType=3

http://www.cars.com/...onal&listType=3

All for sale, but no buyers. These days the seller is in a holding pattern until the economy improves. Pretty rough going trying to shake loose the coins of the buyer now-a-days whether it's car's, homes, planes, boats or any "big" ticket items.

Kinda depressing if you think about it.

I think what is needed is monthly "car appreciating venues" to pump up the interest. Kinda like "Car's & Coffee" but with local TV coverage and highlights. Maybe I'm on to something, I'll call Barrett Jackson. lol.....

Some of these are scams. The car in the original poster's link is referred to as #459. Here is another ad for the same car at a much different price.

http://www.mota.com/buy/listing/2008-Ford-Mustang/m9c8b14

Note that the add in Cars.com does not mention the VIN, and that there is no address for the seller.

This also occured with the KR that I bought. I first saw it advertised on Ebay, with several pics taken in front of the seller's house. Some of the pics from the back were showing the license plate (a Quebec license plate - no front license plate in Quebec). I ran a carfax on the VIN so I knew that the car was indeed still registered in Quebec. A few weeks later, pics of the same car were used on autotrader.ca, where the car was said to come from Alberta and was for sale at a ridiculously cheap price. Obviously, they only used the pics where the license plate did not appear.

I also had the same issue occur a few years ago when I was looking at an Audi RS4 convertible. Saw one on Ebay from a seller in New Jersey with no reserve and placed a very low bid. I had seen pics of the same car from a seller in Texas a few weeks earlier. When I asked the Ebay seller if it was the same car, he cancelled my bid without explanation. After I notified Ebay of the issue, the auction was cancelled.

When cars are advertised for sale way below market price by individuals with very little information included in the ad, it's always a good idea to double check. Nothing is easier that to take a car's info and pics and run a fake ad.

As of tonight, there are 12 on ebay. That's allot of KR's available.

They way I see it is most other new era Shelby's have dropped in value in the past year or two but advertised KR prices have been holding around $50k to $60k in the past year. I think they are great cars but I think they need to take a hit on their advertised price and get into the mid to low $40's to get them selling.

jmho

QSS

IMO...it's no different than the housing market...the "Shelby bubble" in general has burst...and that includes the KR series.

Many bought these "limited" production vehicles on the speculation they would be worth huge money.

Then one year of Shelby's became many years, two thousand became fifty thousand and one model became ten models.

|

Now add higher hp stock V6 and GT cars and the new Boss to the mix at a much lower price and you have a glut of Mustangs in a niche market.

Then to add icing to the cake Ford announces the 2013 GT-500 which is basicially like a Supersnake for $20 K + less.

In anything, when supply outweighs demand the price falls and it won't stabilize or reverse again until that trend changes and personally, I don't believe that will be any time soon.

Truly hate to see these prices. I have been trying to help a friend of mine a GM at a local Ford dealer with selling their KR. They have CSM125 a black on black, never titled, 16 mile car and the market has tanked. From everything I have read they need to move this car now, before the 2013 orders are taken. I thought long and hard about buying the car, but IMO I lucked out and found a 3,500 mile garage queen 40th for a fraction of what the KR is going for. Maybe I'm a bit bias, but I'm glad I found the 40th.

It's a marathon not a sprint.........IMO

I couldn't agree more but it all goes back to the basics of supply and demand.

In the 1960's and 70's the car was a mode of transportation no more or no less.

Shelby or not, it was in rain, shine, snow, loaded down, raced, wrecked, dented and loaded up with miles and miles of just driving and what survived now had some serious value even in poor condition.

Move forward almost 40 years and try to duplicate this when many cars are garage queens, barely see rain let alone anything else, are hardly driven, are constantly detailed, have heated storage and are like new with no mileage years after purchase.

When production numbers are far greater, model offerings are far greater, years of production seem to be going on longer and pristine vehicles remaining could be in the 80 % + percentile I believe it will be a lifetime before we see these prices rise to even the original purchase price.

But, it's not just Shelby experiencing this trend, it's all makes and models and IMO.. the more of a product there remains in pristine condition, the less value it will eventually have.

Shelby or not, it was in rain, shine, snow, loaded down, raced, wrecked, dented and loaded up with miles and miles of just driving and what survived now had some serious value even in poor condition.

Move forward almost 40 years and try to duplicate this when many cars are garage queens, barely see rain let alone anything else, are hardly driven, are constantly detailed, have heated storage and are like new with no mileage years after purchase.

When production numbers are far greater, model offerings are far greater, years of production seem to be going on longer and pristine vehicles remaining could be in the 80 % + percentile I believe it will be a lifetime before we see these prices rise to even the original purchase price.

But, it's not just Shelby experiencing this trend, it's all makes and models and IMO.. the more of a product there remains in pristine condition, the less value it will eventually have.

Very true.

Excellent points. We now have the benefit of hindsight. Shelbys of the 60s were not immediately viewed as collectible. With muscle cars in general, some engine options and configurations were very rare not because of limited production runs but because they were simply not popular at the time; a good exemple is the '71 Hemi Cuda Convertible which is extremely rare simply because the biggest and most expensive engine in a convertible didn't make sense to buyers at the time. Now, these rare cars are often the most desirable. The more people view the current Shelbys as collectible, the less chance they have to actually become collectible in the foreseable future.

Excellent points. We now have the benefit of hindsight. Shelbys of the 60s were not immediately viewed as collectible. With muscle cars in general, some engine options and configurations were very rare not because of limited production runs but because they were simply not popular at the time; a good exemple is the '71 Hemi Cuda Convertible which is extremely rare simply because the biggest and most expensive engine in a convertible didn't make sense to buyers at the time. Now, these rare cars are often the most desirable. The more people view the current Shelbys as collectible, the less chance they have to actually become collectible in the foreseable future.

Yes, it use to be what was least desireable or obscure turned around to be the most desireable down the pipe....today however, unfortunately, I think it will come down to the most expensive as they are usually the lowest numbers and the ones most cannot afford..( Series 1 or Ford GT come immediately to mind) there will always be the odd unicorn in the mix but, I think if your looking at investment your better off to use hindsight to make a great selection from the past than roll the dice and take a chance on the present.

There are some really good points here. All valid. Supply/demand and so on. But that curve is being skewed. Read on.

Thanks all for taking the time to put thoughts on paper.

Many....MANY people are in financial trouble. And this is creating the supply. I hate to see the KR prices nowadays mainly knowing that someone is on the other end suffering financially. Without getting political, or too political, I don't believe for a second the unemployement figures being touted by an administration determined to be re-elected another 4 years. Figures lie and liars figure. People are suffering.

In the marathon, it will all settle out. The KR's will find their respective homes. It might even take 2 or three ownerships. But they will find their way.

Unless you are a trustfund baby or through hard work of business ownership independently wealthy, people on this very forum might be forced to sell. And they will sell for whatever they can to liquidate.

Every KR priced at these basement prices is in some way heartbreaking.

Keep the faith all. The powder dry. Hunker down and enjoy your cars!

Steve

There are some really good points here. All valid. Supply/demand and so on. But that curve is being skewed. Read on.

Thanks all for taking the time to put thoughts on paper.

Many....MANY people are in financial trouble. And this is creating the supply. I hate to see the KR prices nowadays mainly knowing that someone is on the other end suffering financially. Without getting political, or too political, I don't believe for a second the unemployement figures being touted by an administration determined to be re-elected another 4 years. Figures lie and liars figure. People are suffering.

In the marathon, it will all settle out. The KR's will find their respective homes. It might even take 2 or three ownerships. But they will find their way.

Unless you are a trustfund baby or through hard work of business ownership independently wealthy, people on this very forum might be forced to sell. And they will sell for whatever they can to liquidate.

Keep the faith all. The powder dry. Hunker down and enjoy your cars!

Steve

Very well put Steve. :victory:

I couldn't agree more. These cars are only (maybe) going to be valuable to our kids or their kids. That's why I'm driving it and enjoying it. My son is going to have to restore it if it even means anything to him then. Right now he's very protective, wont let anyone eat or drink in it, has banned one of our friends from sitting in it because he kicked the running board when getting in. He has learned some of it from me. Even though I want to keep it nice, I can't stand not to drive it and winters are a killer.

IMO...it's no different than the housing market...the "Shelby bubble" in general has burst...and that includes the KR series.

Many bought these "limited" production vehicles on the speculation they would be worth huge money.

Then one year of Shelby's became many years, two thousand became fifty thousand and one model became ten models.

|

Now add higher hp stock V6 and GT cars and the new Boss to the mix at a much lower price and you have a glut of Mustangs in a niche market.

Then to add icing to the cake Ford announces the 2013 GT-500 which is basicially like a Supersnake for $20 K + less.

In anything, when supply outweighs demand the price falls and it won't stabilize or reverse again until that trend changes and personally, I don't believe that will be any time soon.

Agree entirely. Add to all these valid points the possibility of $200 barrel oil with the "loose cannon" known as Iran, and you've got an even bigger economic shock. Everybody will be sitting on their wallets under this scenario.

I couldn't agree more. These cars are only (maybe) going to be valuable to our kids or their kids. That's why I'm driving it and enjoying it. My son is going to have to restore it if it even means anything to him then. Right now he's very protective, wont let anyone eat or drink in it, has banned one of our friends from sitting in it because he kicked the running board when getting in. He has learned some of it from me. Even though I want to keep it nice, I can't stand not to drive it and winters are a killer.

You taught your son well. :rockon:

Agree entirely. Add to all these valid points the possibility of $200 barrel oil with the "loose cannon" known as Iran, and you've got an even bigger economical shock. Everybody will be sitting on their wallets under this scenario.

I see the same scenario. :drop:

There will come a day where the price and worth of these cars will not be in the top 10 threads of this forum! That may take a few more years though.

Lets face it, scam or no scam, everything is taking a beating. These cars included. That's how I was able to buy one myself. The prices of real estate are another example. Again, because of the low prices, I was able to take advantage and pick up some properties. The economy is hurting, and now it's a "buyers market" for those with extra capital. If you have some extra cash, take advantage before it swings the other way. If you are struggling, dig in. This is not going to last forever.

.....oh, and cars are a terrible investment, but we all knew that already !

Truly hate to see these prices.

I don't.

I interpret that statement as coming from someone who perhaps should've reevaluated whether their finances support buying a KR as a good decision.

There will come a day where the price and worth of these cars will not be in the top 10 threads of this forum! That may take a few more years though.

Lets face it, scam or no scam, everything is taking a beating. These cars included. That's how I was able to buy one myself. The prices of real estate are another example. Again, because of the low prices, I was able to take advantage and pick up some properties. The economy is hurting, and now it's a "buyers market" for those with extra capital. If you have some extra cash, take advantage before it swings the other way. If you are struggling, dig in. This is not going to last forever.

+1!! Thank you!!!

Couldn't agree more............ :rockon:

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Fast forward to 2016 --- At 2015 Barrett Jackson Auction in Palm Beach a 2009 KR sells for $71,500.

One of the previous posters suggested that we think marathon not sprint and I could not agree more and that is exactly how wife and I think about her KR. In the meantime we continue to enjoy our KR. Happy motoring to all.

Guest markham51

My 2007 GT500 convert is now 9 years old. It has 640 ponies thanks to Evolution performance and with new brakes and clutch it performs flawlessly. My son and i had some fun on expressway near Toronto yesterday and he pulled on me with ease in my 16 GT350. Awesome car. Looks great with Alcoa wheels and top down but....

There is a ton of competition now compared to when the GT500s and KRs were initially launched. Interiors are better, engines are stronger, technology better. Time marches on and so do the owners. When i moved to the GT350 I gave my 07s to the kids. They will use for a while and then trade it in on something new. They both prefer automatics.

My 2007 GT500 convert is now 9 years old. It has 640 ponies thanks to Evolution performance and with new brakes and clutch it performs flawlessly. My son and i had some fun on expressway near Toronto yesterday and he pulled on me with ease in my 16 GT350. Awesome car. Looks great with Alcoa wheels and top down but....

There is a ton of competition now compared to when the GT500s and KRs were initially launched. Interiors are better, engines are stronger, technology better. Time marches on and so do the owners. When i moved to the GT350 I gave my 07s to the kids. They will use for a while and then trade it in on something new. They both prefer automatics.

Wow, his GT350 pulled on you with ease. That is really hard to believe with you at 640HP. The KRs had very nice trap MPH and ran in the 11s from Ford/SAI. The GT350s are really not shinning in the straight line arena with 12 second + quarters. Were you short shifting or just not an aggressive roll racer? I would roast that 350 with a 640HP KR!

Archived