TEAM SHELBY FORUM

HEY FORD MOTOR COMPANY! LISTEN UP!!!!

Check again.........................

Cobra Production

Model Year Units Sold

2004 Cobra Total: 5,664

2003 Cobra Total: 13,476

2002 Cobra* Total: 100 (all to Australia)

2001 Cobra Total: 7,251

2000 Cobra R Total: 300

1999 Cobra Total: 8,095

1998 Cobra Total: 8,654

1997 Cobra Total: 10,049

1996 Cobra Total: 10,005

1995 Cobra Total: 5,258

1994 Cobra Total: 6,009

1993 Cobra Total: 5,100

*2002 Cobra NOTE: Officially, there were no 2002 Cobras produced in the US, but Ford's sales data shows 100 4-valve Cobras shipped to Australia as a special export batch in early '02. SVT has stated that they do not count these numbers in their totals but they were labeled as 2002 Models from Ford. These cars were exactly the same as the '01's except were made especially for Australia's standards (right hand drive, extra lights, etc.).

I guess that explains why Ford stated "ONE OF THE" instead of "THE MOST" LOL

Gotta be careful with what we read when Ford makes a statement.

Looks like 96 and 97 will be comparable years as far as numbers and 03 being the year with the most mustangs produced by SVT in a given year. Unless of course Ford decides to build more than the 9k estimated each year.

I also recall Ford extending the rebates on the cobra in 03 and 04. Given that they had to add rebates to those even with the limited numbers produced, I can't imagine how this would hold up by producing another 9k - 10k for a 3rd year. If they do it I predict it will kill the popularity of this car. I think they are pushing it now with the 2 year run of approx. 18k - 20k. Just my opinion.

The 09 is suppose to be a new design for mustang so that may help if they build it for 09 again because it would be a different body style than the 07 & 08. So everyone that has a 07 or 08 and that could afford it will want a 09 as well since it would have a new look.

Man, I can't wait until the end of 08 just to see how all this turns out in the end! LOL

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the idea of the raffle...... in a way it shifts a form of "ADM" (the money collected to get the "right" to buy one") to a charitable cause and out of the hands of greedy dealers. All win. good thinking. I would participate in such a lottery.

Ron

Thanks, 68fastback. I love this site. As for the links, I don't have them. About the best I can think is it was in the "latest news" section here at stangsunleashed last summer some time. I know that's a bit vague, but, that's about all I can remember. If I remember correctly, however, Carol said he didn't see a problem with this engine producing 7 or 800 horsepower. I believe Carol was dressed in black in the interview.

- Josh

:violin::rip: :beatdeadhorse:

Just bought a mint '05 Mustang GT to have fun with until all the hype on the new Shelbys calm down. Then hopefully the prices will reach sane levels and I'll buy one then. Back in '05 when I wanted a GT they were $5k ADM now I got the same car for 14k less!! It pays to be patient everyone. Bottom line is though that we may never get a chance to own the KR. I predict with the ADM's the cost of the car will be way over $100k. In my opinion the '07-'08 GT500 is the best and the most charismatic performance car you can buy. :rockon:

IMO - I think the (GT500KR's) will only be sold thru Ford dealers that have won the "Presidents Award".

I think that's about 750 dealers across america that have this award & the other 250+ KR's will be in a share of the nation lottery within Ford.

346 Ford Dealers won the President's Award in 2006. I like your idea about only PA winning dealers getting a KR. Of course, I'm biased, considering that the dealership I work for just earned its 12th PA in 2006! On a side note, Ford did reward 2005 PA winning dealers by giving each of us an additional 2007 GT500 allocation, so it would not be unprecedented for Ford to use the PA as an allocation method.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Apr 11 2007, 03:07 PM) 129951[/snapback]
346 Ford Dealers won the President's Award in 2006. I like your idea about only PA winning dealers getting a KR. Of course, I'm biased, considering that the dealership I work for just earned its 12th PA in 2006! On a side note, Ford did reward 2005 PA winning dealers by giving each of us an additional 2007 GT500 allocation, so it would not be unprecedented for Ford to use the PA as an allocation method.

Thanks for providing the actual number of dealers that have PA Five Oh B, I knew it was a low number but that just made me say :censored: I not getting one.

Thanks, 68fastback. I love this site. As for the links, I don't have them. About the best I can think is it was in the "latest news" section here at stangsunleashed last summer some time. I know that's a bit vague, but, that's about all I can remember. If I remember correctly, however, Carol said he didn't see a problem with this engine producing 7 or 800 horsepower. I believe Carol was dressed in black in the interview.

- Josh

Thanks, Josh... that's probably the same vid I vaguely remember too ...Carroll pretty much always wears black ;-)

Thanks, Josh... that's probably the same vid I vaguely remember too ...Carroll pretty much always wears black ;-)

Sorry, I just can't remember much beyond that. Is there a video archive on the site somewhere? I'd be willing to search through them to find the video. I also seem to recall Carrol having a coy look on his face when he mentioned the horsepower.

Man, I admire that guy! I hope when I'm 80 some odd years old, I'm still doing burnouts, and racing cars! Carrol Shelby is the auto equivelant of R. A. Bob Hoover!

- Josh

Sorry, Josh... hope it didn't sound like I was razzing you ...I thought it might have been a bit more recent but you might be correct -- it's strange because both of us remember it but I have no clue from when or other pieces of the interview.

Dunno if there's a site video lib -- I checked thru some vids on U-tube but couldn't find it. Not to worry ;-)

-Dan

-----------

Anyone else recall the 800hp C.S. reference?

In was in reference to the Supersnake Cobra at BJ that went for 5 Million...it was 800HP

Ah, thanks Coldy -- that makes sense!!! The all aluminum 427 side-oiler 2-4bbl Cobra (blue, if I recall?).

----

There's also the Super Snake vintage continuation Shelbys built by Unique Performance ...525HP big-block FE or 750HP supercharged.

So if there's another Super Snake in our future :spiteful: it has a big-HP legacy to build on ;) ...hmmm, H/Boss fodder?

-Dan

I guess that explains why Ford stated "ONE OF THE" instead of "THE MOST" LOL

Gotta be careful with what we read when Ford makes a statement.

Looks like 96 and 97 will be comparable years as far as numbers and 03 being the year with the most mustangs produced by SVT in a given year. Unless of course Ford decides to build more than the 9k estimated each year.

I also recall Ford extending the rebates on the cobra in 03 and 04. Given that they had to add rebates to those even with the limited numbers produced, I can't imagine how this would hold up by producing another 9k - 10k for a 3rd year. If they do it I predict it will kill the popularity of this car. I think they are pushing it now with the 2 year run of approx. 18k - 20k. Just my opinion.

2003 Cobra production may be 13K on paper, and yes, that's how many are titled as 2003's. But, 2003 was a tricky animal as there were actualLY two waves of production. Wave 1 started very early in April 2002, while wave 2 started at the normal time in the fall of 2002. Wave 1 2003's were being built on the assembly line at the same time 2002 V6 and GT's were being built. Wave 2 2003's were built only after 2003 V6 and GT production began. So, it's like 2003's were built over the course of two model years, and 13K cars over 2 years is not the best seller in SVT Mustang's history.

2003 SVT Cobras sold very well during wave 1 and at the beginning of wave 2 - often with ADM's. There were not rebates on 2003's until Ford started showing the 2005 Mustang Concept. All of a sudden, potential buyers started thinking they should wait for a supercharged SVT Mustang on the upcoming cool-retro S197 body style. That's when the rebates hit, and that's why so few 2004's were built/sold. That's also why Ford offered up the infamous "PowerLease" on 2004's like ThreeCobras did. By leasing a 2004 Cobra, they were getting an early place in line for the S197 SVT Mustang (GT500).

While 96 and 97 were great years for SVT Cobras, I believe that the 2007-8 GT500 is actually the "better" seller when you factor in the "gotta have it" factor and the outrageous ADM's being asked for and received. 96 and 97 Cobras did not generate as much hype or dollars for the typical Ford dealer or Ford, in general, so in that sense the GT500 is the "better" seller.

• 1 month later...
Ford nor Shelby can interfere with what dealers charge due to strong state franchise laws - I love the idea. I wonder if it can be done.

Also, Robert, you know as well as I do Ford has total control over their dealers. They can hold back allocation etc. Let's not kid anyone here anymore...games over. You're the editor...please stay unbiased as any "journalist" should..

I know Ford can't do anything about dealers charging whatever they want. But the big question is could Ford allow CAI to be the only source to purchase a specialty vehicle through since CAI is also involved with modifying the vehicles? Or does CAI have to sell everything they build strictly through dealers as well?

How does for handle the sales of those cars they sell through Barrett-Jackson? Does that car actually end up being sold through a dealer somewhere? I would think if not then Ford could structure the sale of these as well without going through dealers.

QUOTE(robertlane @ Apr 5 2007, 11:03 PM)

Ford nor Shelby can interfere with what dealers charge due to strong state franchise laws - I love the idea. I wonder if it can be done.

Also, Robert, you know as well as I do Ford has total control over their dealers. They can hold back allocation etc. Let's not kid anyone here anymore...games over. You're the editor...please stay unbiased as any "journalist" should..

maybe they should let 1968 KR owners have first option to buy :)

honestly though I think the lottery idea would work fine.

never mind the dealer mark ups, wait and see what the brokers will be charging...gasp!!

I'm with you, I can't think of anything better than a 08 next to my 68. There defiantly should be some consideration for current owners.

I'm with you, I can't think of anything better than a 08 next to my 68. There defiantly should be some consideration for current owners.

Welcome, '68KRCOBRA!

This is a great site with lots of resources for you. Some great folks here!

Sorry guys...the way I look at it......

if you already have a KR, you have leave some for the rest of us! :hysterical:

Archived