TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Motor Trend March 2012 issue and ZL 1 vs Boss 302 LS test

Bill Hamilton

About a 10 page story comparing the two cars. They state, "The Camaro clearly came out on top in this fight", in the last paragraph. Nearly every performance category was won by the ZL 1 including a faster lap time over a 2.2 mile track (1:41.3 vs 1:43.7). Considering the Camaro had 136 more hp and 400 pounds, the events were close enough it could had easily been reversed with a good driver. Probably a more fair fight would have been a 2012 GT-500 vs a 2012 Camaro ZL 1. The ZL 1 would have only had 30 hp and 200 plus pounds more than the Shelby.

However in the story they it says, " Think of the Camaro as being a good friend and the Mustang a girlfriend." W H A T ????? (LOL) Call me a dirty old man but I'll take the girl friend every-time. :hysterical2: Hey, what can I say, I'm a romatic kind of guy. :wub2:

Evidently Chevy thinks the Camaro ZL 1 is in the same class with the Boss 302 instead of the GT-500. Come on 2013!!!

Obviously MT has dropped to the level of C&D and is pandering to Gov't Motors latest and greatest (at least in their eyes). Picking on a normally aspirated 5.0 with a blown 6.2 doesn't exactly come across as a fair fight. Once the 2013 GT-500s get rolling, the ZL-1 will find out what a good a$$-whuppin' is all about.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought the Motor Trend March issue as well! What a bias this Mike Febbo has! You can tell as you just get into the article where his bias is. Not objective journalism at all. Snotty little comments throughout. I dont see the Boss 302 being in the same category as the ZL1. I agree with above, bring on the 13 GT500! Blown 5.8 VS 6.2.

The front cover of the magazine was just the beginning of what is largely a heavily biased article favoring the ZL1. The crass cover statement "ZL1 tells Boss: SHOVE IT!-------And in little letters "Turn to page 36 to see how far". Originally, I had missed those little letters in the front cover but looked more closely at the cover today. I actually think the Boss did GREAT ---- especially with it's very powerful NA engine and overall build. I wonder how the Camaro would perform with repetitive hot lap after hot lap.

The proof will be in the pudding when a new comparison with the 2013 GT500 is run later this year.....

well at least the pony-car wars won't go away anytime soon thats a good thing......100 horse and 1.2 liters less and it was a hair off on most comparisons ZL1 is top of the Camaro command...the Boss is second in command to the Shelby.....comparing apples to apples the 2013 GT 500 is gonna KILL this thing

I'd still like to see a 2012 Shelby GT-500 vs a 2012 Camaro ZL1 in a few magazine comparison tests first. Why wait till next year? Let's do it now just to see how close this year's models are. The ZL1 is in Shelby Territory, not Boss 302. The Boss and Camaro SS are a closer comparison, or actually a new 5.0 GT vs Camaro SS and they both have compariable V-6 models.

Chevy doesn’t really have anything comparable to the Boss 302 at the moment. Maybe this will force their hand and a new Z-28 will appear which would probably be a more direct comparison to a Boss 302.

In a game of tenths and inches I think the 2012 Shelby would have been a better comparison and I'm not as sure as everybody eles is that the the ZL1 would win that one either. Give us something for now, we know how 2013 will be. :worship:

I'd still like to see a 2012 Shelby GT-500 vs a 2012 Camaro ZL1 in a few magazine comparison tests first. Why wait till next year? Let's do it now just to see how close this year's models are. The ZL1 is in Shelby Territory, not Boss 302. The Boss and Camaro SS are a closer comparison, or actually a new 5.0 GT vs Camaro SS and they both have compariable V-6 models.

Chevy doesn’t really have anything comparable to the Boss 302 at the moment. Maybe this will force their hand and a new Z-28 will appear which would probably be a more direct comparison to a Boss 302.

In a game of tenths and inches I think the 2012 Shelby would have been a better comparison and I'm not as sure as everybody eles is that the the ZL1 would win that one either. Give us something for now, we know how 2013 will be. :worship:

Bill,

I agree completely! Why are the various 3rd party professional car evaluators ingnoring this obvious match-up??? Could it be they want to have an excuse when the 2013 Shelby whips the 2012 ZL1...

Bill,

I agree completely! Why are the various 3rd party professional car evaluators ingnoring this obvious match-up??? Could it be they want to have an excuse when the 2013 Shelby whips the 2012 ZL1...

You'd sure think that by what they're writing.

The March 2012 of Car and Driver has a complete road test of the new Camaro ZL1. Below I've attached three cropped pics. The first is the performance numbers from a 2011 Shelby GT-500 (could not find a 2012 test). The second are the new numbers from the ZL1 in the article and as a bonus on the next page after the ZL1 story, is a short kind of pre-production story on the 2013 GT-500. The numbers are their "C/D estimate"

2012 Camaro ZL1 Numbers (593x640).jpg

2011 Shelby GT-500 Numbers.jpg

2013 Shelby GT-500 numbers.JPG

2012 Camaro ZL1 Numbers (593x640).jpg

2011 Shelby GT-500 Numbers.jpg

2013 Shelby GT-500 numbers.JPG

The 70 to 0 mph braking numbers (Shelby @ 151' versus ZL1's best @ 165') are also revealing as to how much weight the Camaro is packing...

The 2011 Shelby outhandled it on the skid pad also at 1.0 vs the ZL1's .98 G's. The 0-60's were the same too at 4.1 for each. Yeah, it looks like to me that the 2012 Camaro ZL1 has only nearly equaled the 2011 Shelby GT-500. B)

+1 :yup:

Once the 2013 GT-500s get rolling, the ZL-1 will find out what a good a$$-whuppin' is all about.

.....comparing apples to apples the 2013 GT 500 is gonna KILL this thing

Could it be they want to have an excuse when the 2013 Shelby whips the 2012 ZL1...

+1 to all of these :yup:

Below is a partial chart I made using common items on the 2011 GT-500, the 2012 ZL1, and the 2013 GT-500. These are the numbers used in Car and Driver road tests with the ZL1 and 2013 Shelby being the newest March issue. The performance numbers for the 2011 Shelby GT-500 were also from an older issue of Car and Driver. I couldn't find any 2012 numbers for the Shelby but they should be the same as the '11 models. Acording to these numbers, the Camaro ZL1 is closer in performance to a 2011/12 Shelby.

Chart.jpg

Chart.jpg

Archived