TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2013 Shelby GT500 capable of mid 11 second 1/4 mile times

supersnake94

The ZL1 is track focussed. Drag racing is not its main focus. Lets see what these ars do around a track.

Because most people that buy cars like these do track events right? Come on. This is getting as bad as Corvette forum guys constantly comparing "Ring" times to everything else.

Most people will never see either a drag strip or take their car around a track. So who cares? Jesus this "my car is better than yours" attitude is so childish.

Going by this mentalitly, anyone who owns a '68 Shelby GT500 KR is crazy because for $40,000 they could've bought a '12 Boss and had a faster car around a track.

While few people will take their cars to a track or even the strip, the fact that it has qualities that makes it faster than another Car X is comforting in the event a street race happens, all else being equal I know I'll win.

Otherwise why care about the horsepower of our cars or any performance features beyond decent acceleration? Few people push their car to it's limits but when we do, it is good to know what they are.

Most things adults do are "childish" when you distill them to their most basic level.

My Mustang has Shelby written on it and that means a heck of a lot to me regardless of whose the fastest, it's not always the track that makes the car. Recently I've owned a 300C SRT, Challenger SRT and a Charger SRT and there's more reverence for my Shelby than any of them so bench race away ! :salute:

The speculation is rampant but only time will tell. GM has always beat the snot out of Ford with the auto trannys so time will tell how the std will do on the street. With a few tweeks the ZL1 is going to be a very worthy vehicle to run against.

Because most people that buy cars like these do track events right? Come on. This is getting as bad as Corvette forum guys constantly comparing "Ring" times to everything else.

Most people will never see either a drag strip or take their car around a track. So who cares? Jesus this "my car is better than yours" attitude is so childish.

Going by this mentalitly, anyone who owns a '68 Shelby GT500 KR is crazy because for $40,000 they could've bought a '12 Boss and had a faster car around a track.

But I guess its ok to boast about 1/4 mile times right?

The ZL1 is track focussed. Drag racing is not its main focus. Lets see what these ars do around a track.

Don't be suckered in by the GM marketing engine. Either they are just playing the 'track' card because that is the only card they can play, or they purposely engineered a 4200lb track car? Hmmm

GM chose to run the ZL1 against the normally aspirated Boss 302 at a high altitude track at Inde with the turns purposely removed for it's coming out party. I guess they could have cut a tire on the Boss to have a greater advantage. Me, I'll wait to see what it does when it hits the streets. Here is the 'twisty' track at Inde, and I use the term loosely.... LMAO

inde-motorsports-ranch.jpg

Don't be suckered in by the GM marketing engine. Either they are just playing the 'track' card because that is the only card they can play, or they purposely engineered a 4200lb track car? Hmmm

GM chose to run the ZL1 against the normally aspirated Boss 302 at a high altitude track at Inde with the turns purposely removed for it's coming out party. I guess they could have cut a tire on the Boss to have a greater advantage. Me, I'll wait to see what it does when it hits the streets. Here is the 'twisty' track at Inde, and I use the term loosely.... LMAO

inde-motorsports-ranch.jpg

Thanks for posting. The track is a high hoursepower track fo sho' Smart move on GM's part. That 2 seconds seems rather poor looking at this

Trust me, I've been to many drag races with Corvette clubs. I've watched many capable 11 and 12 second Z06's running high 13's and even low 14's. These guys

were in amazement when I ran my bone stock '04 Z06 at 12.2 at almost 119mph. There are many guys out there that with a stock shift GT500 will get their butts kicked

by an automatic ZL1. These times the magazines and manufacturers are quoting are what someone can "expect" to run if they know what they're doing. On the

other hand, most guys won't come near these times in the real world. They'll just brag that they're driving a mid 11 second car that with them behind the wheel is a high

12 second car. With 650 horse on tap and only 285 tires, your average joe will be left wondering what the hell is wrong with his car. I've seen it time and time again.

The magazine times only go so far with me. It's what YOU can do in the car.

That is so true. I can still remember the amazed looks I got when I smoked just about all of the cars back in 2001 with my 2001 Lightning at Tulsa Raceway test and tune. All I had done was add a flowmaster cat back and a diablosport pulley tune but I could launch it like a muther from my years of experience of drag racing on the good old McCreary bias ply poor mans street slicks! I would conststently run 12.9's at 106mph! That was pretty

respectable back then for a mostly stock truck!

That is so true. I can still remember the amazed looks I got when I smoked just about all of the cars back in 2001 with my 2001 Lightning at Tulsa Raceway test and tune. All I had done was add a flowmaster cat back and a diablosport pulley tune but I could launch it like a muther from my years of experience of drag racing on the good old McCreary bias ply poor mans street slicks! I would conststently run 12.9's at 106mph! That was pretty

respectable back then for a mostly stock truck!

At last summers Ford Fan/Fest Weekend (FFW) @ Bandimere Speeday in Denver there was a Lightning class.

I was REAL surprised at how fast those suckers are!

Phill

Absolutely balls on correct. Excellent post and point.

Those of us here who have been actively involved in drag racing over the years have all seen this scenario unfold time and time again. Couldn't tell ya how many times I've seen Z06s, Vipers, GT500s, 911 Turbos, etc. run the 1/4 in 14 seconds plus and the driver clueless as to why. High powered, manual transmission cars on street tires are a nightmare at a drag strip irregardless of track prep. The 2013 GT500 will sport the same inadequate 285 cm rears that have plagued this car for years. A GT500 is going to need an outstanding , experienced drag racer at the controls to run with an automatic ZL1 Camaro. The ZL1 is going to be a huge ball buster for many a GT500 owner, just wait and see.

Yep, but autos are boring as hell to drive over time and it's still FUGLY. I have to assume here that most of us aren't professional racers, or even track our cars more than 1-2% of the time at most. The tire size by Ford is picked because they are the ones responsible for long term warranties...Do you really think they want their 650-670hp machine really "hooking up" with the stress that causes?

Yep, but autos are boring as hell to drive over time and it's still FUGLY. I have to assume here that most of us aren't professional racers, or even track our cars more than 1-2% of the time at most. The tire size by Ford is picked because they are the ones responsible for long term warranties...Do you really think they want their 650-670hp machine really "hooking up" with the stress that causes?

You really believe that? I'd bet the next generation top dog mustang will have wider wheels.

You really believe that? I'd bet the next generation top dog mustang will have wider wheels.

Exactly, you know it will. The crap about the current bicycle tires protecting the drivetrain is nonsense. A car that is marketed as a pure performance vehicle being delivered to the end user with inappropriate rubber on the wheels is simply unacceptable.

It's really the only logical reason I've seen or read about beside avoiding the gas guzzler tax by having less rolling resistance. But I'm open to hearing a better reason (and please don't mention it's the bean counters or some bs about handling, just look at what Van uses on their front tire widths).

It's really the only logical reason I've seen or read about beside avoiding the gas guzzler tax by having less rolling resistance. But I'm open to hearing a better reason (and please don't mention it's the bean counters or some bs about handling, just look at what Van uses on their front tire widths).

What does Van use for fronts/rears?

Exactly, you know it will. The crap about the current bicycle tires protecting the drivetrain is nonsense. A car that is marketed as a pure performance vehicle being delivered to the end user with inappropriate rubber on the wheels is simply unacceptable.

Well said...I agree 100%....The Ford GT has wider rubber and don't see it breaking the drivetrain.

Then why in the world make a car with that much HP if you can't use it or handle it. That's like Arnold Shwarzenager walking around with a huge upper body and pencil sticks for legs.

Then why in the world make a car with that much HP if you can't use it or handle it.

Because people (Men) buy "numbers". Well, at least *most* men do.

Women buy cup holders!

Duckin' & runnin',

Phill

My lord, the tire thing again! All this talk about eating the words when the Camaro beats the 13

Its all about weight distribution and chasis dynamics on the stock car. Change the suspention, change the tires, change the weight distribution, change the tires. Its not about breakage, fuel economy, eh, maybe a bit but, the car does best with the current sizing. Thats over all better. Doyou reallly believe Ford would put undersized tires on the Shelby? For what reason?

I cant wait to check back in after the tests. If Im wrong, Ill be happy to admit it. But, Im pretty confident I wont have to worry about that.

My lord, the tire thing again! All this talk about eating the words when the Camaro beats the 13

Its all about weight distribution and chasis dynamics on the stock car. Change the suspention, change the tires, change the weight distribution, change the tires. Its not about breakage, fuel economy, eh, maybe a bit but, the car does best with the current sizing. Thats over all better. Doyou reallly believe Ford would put undersized tires on the Shelby? For what reason?

I cant wait to check back in after the tests. If Im wrong, Ill be happy to admit it. But, Im pretty confident I wont have to worry about that.

Crazy...isn't it? :hysterical:

• 3 weeks later...

Well I will say that GM claiming the 12.0 times of the Camaro may be the times that is off. From what I have seen of "normal Joes" running the car, it has PLENTY of wheel hop. The one driver who first ran it was getting high 12's because he sucked at launching it. Also shifting it...well hell he could not drive. Also many other articles has put the car at mid 12's best. I have yet to see it actually run this 12.0 or under. Now we know magazine guys cannot drive so take that with a grain of salt as well.

I instead will go by this. A 5th Gen Camaro with a S/C makes close to about what the ZL1 can put down. Give or Take. The 5th gens I have seen here in S.FL at Palm Beach have run low 12's@116~118 on DR's. I have seen the Bolt on's do high 12's~13's. So considering the Mag suspension is not going to be that big of difference on a drag race, I believe the car will perform around the mid to low 12 secs stock.

Now lets take the GT500. The 11's can go mid to low 12's stock on a street tire. I have seen them do this. Now I will take my car as the example. My first time at the track with my GT500 (2 weeks ago) I went 12.5 shifting all over horrid 60ft, then I went 12.2.12.1 12.0 11.9. All at 120 and my final 121 MPH. This was on a INVO 315 STREET tire. Traction control on OFF mode. My mods in my sig, and I have not done a dyno....so I am not sure what my RWHP is at. But I would guess a 13' would be near where I am now. Which a fuctional launch control and the fact it is lighter than a ZL1, I will and am going to say that a 13 will easily run in the 11's with Street Tires. DR's will put it there all day long.

I guess we will know for sure soon, but this is my take on it.

Trust me, I've been to many drag races with Corvette clubs. I've watched many capable 11 and 12 second Z06's running high 13's and even low 14's. These guys

were in amazement when I ran my bone stock '04 Z06 at 12.2 at almost 119mph. There are many guys out there that with a stock shift GT500 will get their butts kicked

by an automatic ZL1. These times the magazines and manufacturers are quoting are what someone can "expect" to run if they know what they're doing. On the

other hand, most guys won't come near these times in the real world. They'll just brag that they're driving a mid 11 second car that with them behind the wheel is a high

12 second car. With 650 horse on tap and only 285 tires, your average joe will be left wondering what the hell is wrong with his car. I've seen it time and time again.

The magazine times only go so far with me. It's what YOU can do in the car.

And thats the Fact Jack!

well said my friend, well said.

Archived