TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2013 Shelby GT500 capable of mid 11 second 1/4 mile times

supersnake94

I read somewhere that Ford's claimed #s are 0-60 in 3.7 and 11.5 @ 125 in the 1/4. I also read that GM's claimed #s for the ZL1 are 0-60 in 3.9 and 12.1 @ 119.

We won't know till they actually test against each other though, but based on those #s, this would have to be considered as an ass kicking. :peelout::hysterical:

I read somewhere that Ford's claimed #s are 0-60 in 3.7 and 11.5 @ 125 in the 1/4. I also read that GM's claimed #s for the ZL1 are 0-60 in 3.9 and 12.1 @ 119.

We won't know till they actually test against each other though, but based on those #s, this would have to be considered as an ass kicking. :peelout::hysterical:

I agree with you that all of this bench racing is pure specluation and only time will tell, but.....

1/2 second on a drag strip is a "ass kicking"???

The Camaro is heavier by something like 400 pounds and has a reported 580HP vs the GT500's ADVERTISED HP of 650HP at 6250RPM (70HP more) and its REPORTED (actual) HP of 670HP at the actual redline of 7000RPM (90HP more)...and it will only beat the Camaro by .6 (6/10ths) of a second in the quarter mile?

I guess your definiaton of a "Ass Kicking" is different than mine.

Phill

and a half second is ALOT in a quarter mile in my opinion.

On a sub-four second Top Fuel Dragster (TF/D) or Coupe (TF/C)? Yeah, it's ALOT.

On a 12 second street stock (or even on a A/SS), not so much.

Phill

On a sub-four second Top Fuel Dragster (TF/D) or Coupe (TF/C)? Yeah, it's ALOT.

On a 12 second street stock (or even on a A/SS), not so much.

Phill

.5 seconds and 5mph advantage equates to being ahead by 5 car lengths at the finish line and stil pulling away like a freight train. Seems like a pretty straight-up ass kicking whether you are driving a Kia or a GTR.

I agree with you that all of this bench racing is pure specluation and only time will tell, but.....

1/2 second on a drag strip is a "ass kicking"???

The Camaro is heavier by something like 400 pounds and has a reported 580HP vs the GT500's ADVERTISED HP of 650HP at 6250RPM (70HP more) and its REPORTED (actual) HP of 670HP at the actual redline of 7000RPM (90HP more)...and it will only beat the Camaro by .6 (6/10ths) of a second in the quarter mile?

I guess your definiaton of a "Ass Kicking" is different than mine.

Phill

I'm only going off the manufacturer's #s. GM claims 4120 lbs. and 580 hp. Ford claims 3850 lbs. and 650 hp. (not 670). This is a difference of 270 lbs. (not 400). So, based on these #s, I don't think it's beyond the realm of possiblity that the GT500 could beat the ZL1 by at least .6 sec. and 6 mph.

I remember the last time I raced at the track, I beat a Camaro by .5 sec. and about 5-6 car lengths and my friends telling me "you really kicked that Camaro's ass." So...IMO (and other's here), it would seem like this could be considered an ass kicking. :boxing:

BTW, I did beat that Boss 302 with my KR. :poke: PM me if you want the details.

Trust me, I've been to many drag races with Corvette clubs. I've watched many capable 11 and 12 second Z06's running high 13's and even low 14's. These guys

were in amazement when I ran my bone stock '04 Z06 at 12.2 at almost 119mph. There are many guys out there that with a stock shift GT500 will get their butts kicked

by an automatic ZL1. These times the magazines and manufacturers are quoting are what someone can "expect" to run if they know what they're doing. On the

other hand, most guys won't come near these times in the real world. They'll just brag that they're driving a mid 11 second car that with them behind the wheel is a high

12 second car. With 650 horse on tap and only 285 tires, your average joe will be left wondering what the hell is wrong with his car. I've seen it time and time again.

The magazine times only go so far with me. It's what YOU can do in the car.

Trust me, I've been to many drag races with Corvette clubs. I've watched many capable 11 and 12 second Z06's running high 13's and even low 14's. These guys

were in amazement when I ran my bone stock '04 Z06 at 12.2 at almost 119mph. There are many guys out there that with a stock shift GT500 will get their butts kicked

by an automatic ZL1. These times the magazines and manufacturers are quoting are what someone can "expect" to run if they know what they're doing. On the

other hand, most guys won't come near these times in the real world. They'll just brag that they're driving a mid 11 second car that with them behind the wheel is a high

12 second car. With 650 horse on tap and only 285 tires, your average joe will be left wondering what the hell is wrong with his car. I've seen it time and time again.

The magazine times only go so far with me. It's what YOU can do in the car.

Absolutely balls on correct. Excellent post and point.

Those of us here who have been actively involved in drag racing over the years have all seen this scenario unfold time and time again. Couldn't tell ya how many times I've seen Z06s, Vipers, GT500s, 911 Turbos, etc. run the 1/4 in 14 seconds plus and the driver clueless as to why. High powered, manual transmission cars on street tires are a nightmare at a drag strip irregardless of track prep. The 2013 GT500 will sport the same inadequate 285 cm rears that have plagued this car for years. A GT500 is going to need an outstanding , experienced drag racer at the controls to run with an automatic ZL1 Camaro. The ZL1 is going to be a huge ball buster for many a GT500 owner, just wait and see.

1/2 second in the quarter is more than a bus length. No clue what Phil is talking about.

Exactly my point. A "bus length" is a ASS WHOOPING?

I guess you've never been in a good fight.

EDIT: Oh, and remember. That "bus length" is from the front wheel of the lead car to the front wheel of the trailing car, NOT between the two. By my calculations the difference will be "about" (depending on the trap speed) 46 feet...from the front of the LEAD car to the front of the TRAILING car. My car (2010 GT500) if 15 feet long so that means there will be ~30 feet BETWEEN the two.

Oh yeah, THAT'S a real ass whOOpin'!

And that's ON PAPER. Let's see how many guys call it a "Ass whoopin'" when the Camaro is ahead by the same distance!

Get real,

Phill

Absolutely balls on correct. Excellent post and point.

Those of us here who have been actively involved in drag racing over the years have all seen this scenario unfold time and time again. Couldn't tell ya how many times I've seen Z06s, Vipers, GT500s, 911 Turbos, etc. run the 1/4 in 14 seconds plus and the driver clueless as to why. High powered, manual transmission cars on street tires are a nightmare at a drag strip irregardless of track prep. The 2013 GT500 will sport the same inadequate 285 cm rears that have plagued this car for years. A GT500 is going to need an outstanding , experienced drag racer at the controls to run with an automatic ZL1 Camaro. The ZL1 is going to be a huge ball buster for many a GT500 owner, just wait and see.

You're forgeting about the new launch control on the '13. It's a good system. It can make average drivers much better. Therefore, I see the '13 Shelby beating any ZL1 it come across. And, of course, with two good drivers, the '13 comes out on top every time.

You're forgeting about the new launch control on the '13. It's a good system. It can make average drivers much better. Therefore, I see the '13 Shelby beating any ZL1 it come across. And, of course, with two good drivers, the '13 comes out on top every time.

The new 13 Shelby is going to have a special launch control thing also...600ftlb of TQ less weight and this launch control should

make a bad driver not so bad at all...I am one that thinks the new ZL1 Maro is an awesome car but it has alot to make up on the new

Shelby IMO.

The new 13 Shelby is going to have a special launch control thing also...600ftlb of TQ less weight and this launch control should

make a bad driver not so bad at all...I am one that thinks the new ZL1 Maro is an awesome car but it has alot to make up on the new

Shelby IMO.

I agree that the "new lanuch control" is a HUGE variable in the equation.

But in all honesty, I don't think it will be nearly as 'forgiving' as a auto trans. Add a high stall converter to the mix (or even a trans brake) and ALL bets are off.

But also remember that the old GT500's were said to have "launch control" (we all know it as "Sport Mode") and how many guys do you know that can lanuch a STOCK GT500 well, let alone great?

My whole point in this debate is, this is ALL pure *S-P-E-C-U-L-A-T-I-O-N*.

I have a *feeling* there are going to be a lot of people eating Crow out there. They need to drop the high school-ish mentality of "My Ford is better than your Chevy" and get realistic.

Numbers on paper are just that. Numbers on PAPER. They do NOT equate out to real world performance, or results.

Hell, If I crunch the numbers for a *500* horsepower GT500 into my Drag Race simulator program, it'll show FAR better numbers than any real world results you see out there.

Bottom line: We shall see! But until then, some of these folks need to come back down to Earth.

Phill

I agree that the "new lanuch control" is a HUGE variable in the equation.

But in all honesty, I don't think it will be nearly as 'forgiving' as a auto trans. Add a high stall converter to the mix (or even a trans brake) and ALL bets are off.

But also remember that the old GT500's were said to have "launch control" (we all know it as "Sport Mode") and how many guys do you know that can lanuch a STOCK GT500 well, let alone great?

My whole point in this debate is, this is ALL pure *S-P-E-C-U-L-A-T-I-O-N*.

I have a *feeling* there are going to be a lot of people eating Crow out there. They need to drop the high school-ish mentality of "My Ford is better than your Chevy" and get realistic.

Numbers on paper are just that. Numbers on PAPER. They do NOT equate out to real world performance, or results.

Hell, If I crunch the numbers for a *500* horsepower GT500 into my Drag Race simulator program, it'll show FAR better numbers than any real world results you see out there.

Bottom line: We shall see! But until then, some of these folks need to come back down to Earth.

Phill

I agree don't like the High schoolish My FORD is better than your CHEVY or crapmaro thing...The fact is it's a beautiful car and so is the

Challenger don't care who makes it...You're right it's all speculation for now...The new system is different and more drag race friendly

so say the Ford engineers...We shall see....Mean time great work Ford...Chev...Dodge...Missed the first muscle car war fortunate to be

living trhis one... :happy feet:

Impressive Indeed. I am new to the forum and should become an owner this spring. It would be fine with me if I never saw the C word on this forum again. The 2013 Shelby GT500 will be running in company costing double or more.

Archived