TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Signed Dash Plaque

svtbolt2001

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just like everyone else, wish that I hadn't waited to send in something for Mr Shelby's signature. My last thought before this deployment was, "I'll ship out the airbag cover as soon as I get home."

Oh well, if nothing else, I've got a great car, and the knowledge that Mr Shelby was personally involved with it's development.

Wishing him a speedy recovery, even if he never signs another autograph. The impact that this single man has made on Amercan Motorsports and American Musclecars is something that no one will ever again duplicate

Ok so wait, the plaque costs us $399 (that's for the '07-'09 models) and you're saying that it was not possible to have that piece of metal made in the USA and still keep your profit margin?

Ummm what the heck am I missing here?

ummm for starters, $250 goes to the foundation!

Ok so Ok so then the piece of metal which is bought in bulk costs them close to $150 a piece? Sorry but as they say... "That dog don't hunt."

+1

Edit: I paid 299.95 in 2007 for the plaque and sill plates. I thought that was an OK deal until recently, Sharon says or stuff was made in China, 5 years after I purchased. Not good.

Unfortunatly the US can not match the quality and or the price that China can. I have tried a few places in the states and it is never the quality as the ones we have had since 2007.

With all due respect Sharon, I couldn't disagree more with the above statement. The only reason to go offshore with this specific item is price. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of operations more than capable of producing this piece with equal to or greater than Chinese quality. You haven't tried hard enough.

I suggest you give Marcello Canitano (proprietor of SHR) a ring. Heavily into the Mustang aftermarket for a number of years, producing some of the highest quality products available. Your profit margin may not be as high but he'll absolutely deliver a higher quality piece than you currently sell - if you could make a deal with him.

http://silverhorseracing.com/cart.php?target=sub_static_pages&pageid=8

Before this spirals into a large "Chinese Made" debacle, let's be honest. Much of our manufacturing infrastructure and base has moved offshore. I don't blame anyone interested in maufacturing for considering it let alone doing it. From environmental constraints, taxes, frivolous lawsuits, out of touch unions, insurance, workman's comp, etc, I completely understand why business has left our country. We have overburdened anyone willing to take the risk to turn a profit here in the US. We used to look down upon products from Japan (before the influx of TV's, stereo's, iPod's, etc) and Mexico. Now it's China. What is so ironic is that in many cases it was American entrepreneurs that orchestrated the business end while the Chinese labor force did the "dirty" work. So where many used to make a living in the manufacturing sector here in the US, now we've eliminated the labor portion and only a few at the top are. And they are villified for it.

The scaries part is that (in general) the products that we import from China are slowly getting better. That isn't saying much, given the garbage they've historically made, but we're in trouble if/when they become capable of consistently turning out top notch, high quality finished product. Until we are willing to re-examine the determinants responsible for the shift to off shore production we continue to be in big trouble. Especially since the Chinese are willing to manipulate their currency the way they do. Hopefully, this causes them to hit a brick wall and they are forced to charge more for the products they sell. Wal-Mart shoppers won't be happy, but it is the type of enema this country needs. Inflation rears its head here soon. More here.

Regarding the matter at hand, my red flag went up when quality was mentioned, we haven't given up on that measure of excellence - yet. We're still leading the world when it comes to innovation and creativity, we just prefer low prices and are sometimes willing to settle on items that may do the job but that aren't the highest quality available. Completely understandable, given human nature and simple economics. That said, this specific item can no doubt be produced stateside (with higher quality to boot). It is simply a matter of price to the end consumer and what CS is willing to pay to have it made.

OK so back on subject. In the past there was atleast a goal of 4 - 5 months. Do we have any projected lead times now? Several of us are far over 6 months.

The goal is not to disappoint anyone even further so at the moment there are no "lead times" that we feel comfortable giving out. If we were to give out a revised time frame and for some reason it was missed ,we would have some even unhappier folks.

Please understand this is out of our control. Even the Foundation has no control over this situation as Mr. Shelby could be scheduled to autograph some items on a certain date but ends up not being available on that day due to a variety of reasons.

As mentioned previously both the Shelby Store and/or the Shelby Foundation will refund and/or return any autograph requests if you do not wish to wait any longer.

We do appreciate everyones patience with this and will try to get you updates as soon as we can.

Steve

Yep 191 days as of today and hanging in there.

That is crazy to me. You all have WAY more patience then I. Don't get me wrong I would love to have a signed airbag plate but the wait time and cost is all I need to be ok with not getting one. To each his own I guess.

Good luck to all those waiting. It will make it that much better when you do get it.

That is crazy to me. You all have WAY more patience then I. Don't get me wrong I would love to have a signed airbag plate but the wait time and cost is all I need to be ok with not getting one. To each his own I guess.

Good luck to all those waiting. It will make it that much better when you do get it.

You are mixing up air bag covers with custom made dash plaque orders. Two completely different time frames for delivery.

Steve

I had to wait a few months for mine back in early 2007, and I have terrible patients when it comes to waiting for car parts. As a joke, I made a replica signed dash plaque and stuck it in my car, to my surprise I liked it, it helped me put things back into perspective and have good laugh, it made me feel one heck of alot better about waiting. The plaque doesn't look real by any means, but it sure as heck worked. I just used tin foil and a sharpie. I still have it on the wall in my office.

You are mixing up air bag covers with custom made dash plaque orders. Two completely different time frames for delivery.

Steve

Steve,

Have you thought about having the CS signature stamed into the dash plaques with the customers VIN #. It would be just as classy.

I like that idea too and have suggested it many times. Of course $365 would be a lot of money for a printed sig. it would have to be lower.

This signature could be stamped in and recessed just like the way the KR's and SGT was done and it would be very appealing to owners. This would give Mr. shelby some releif of some of his signing duties but still fill a need / want for the customer.

About all I'm comfortable passing on is that there have been discussions on what direction the autograph program should head towards in the future. Right now everyone is focused on doing what we can to get thru the current situation.

All official announcements on any new programs will need to be announced by the Shelby Foundation and/or Scott Black.

Everyone in the Shelby family appreciates the support and patience shown by all the enthusiasts out there. Thank you for your understanding.

Steve

About all I'm comfortable passing on is that there have been discussions on what direction the autograph program should head towards in the future. Right now everyone is focused on doing what we can to get thru the current situation.

All official announcements on any new programs will need to be announced by the Shelby Foundation and/or Scott Black.

Everyone in the Shelby family appreciates the support and patience shown by all the enthusiasts out there. Thank you for your understanding.

Steve

Thanks for the update Steve.

All the best to Mr. Shelby and the Shelby Foundation :salute:

Archived