TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How about a Kold Air Koozy !?

08SN8K

Hey fellow Shelby enthusiasts,

Been reading the TS forum for the last 3 years and finally joined!! Anyway, thanks for all the great info that helped build my 08 GT500. Along the way, I have come up with an idea for keeping the intake tube cool. Got tired of seeing people wrapping their intakes with pipe insulation!! So, how about The Kold Air Koozy!! its literally a Koozy for the cold air intake. I've been working on it for a while and even filed for a provisional patent. Its made with Thermo-Tecs fire resistant, aluminum coated insulation and covered with heavy duty, FR Vinyl. Could you guys take a look at it and let me know what you think? I had some made and put them on Ebay to see if there was some interest in it. Search; Kold Air Koozy. Thanks guys, looking forward to your input. The one in the picture that I have attached is shown upsidedown. The zipper would not be visible.

post-35725-0-94665900-1327436197_thumb.jpg

post-35725-0-94665900-1327436197_thumb.jpg

Hey fellow Shelby enthusiasts,

Been reading the TS forum for the last 3 years and finally joined!! Anyway, thanks for all the great info that helped build my 08 GT500. Along the way, I have come up with an idea for keeping the intake tube cool. Got tired of seeing people wrapping their intakes with pipe insulation!! So, how about The Kold Air Koozy!! its literally a Koozy for the cold air intake. I've been working on it for a while and even filed for a provisional patent. Its made with Thermo-Tecs fire resistant, aluminum coated insulation and covered with heavy duty, FR Vinyl. Could you guys take a look at it and let me know what you think? I had some made and put them on Ebay to see if there was some interest in it. Search; Kold Air Koozy. Thanks guys, looking forward to your input. The one in the picture that I have attached is shown upsidedown. The zipper would not be visible.

Looks like a quality product. Looks to fit a stock tube? Have you measured any temperature differences yet?

Hey!! great to finally get a response! I was starting to think that this may not be as good an idea as I thought it would be!! Okay, let me start with; the quest for keeping the IAT's as close to ambient as possible, consistantly. After doing the most obvious: 185 deg. T-stat, bigger intercooler with fans, fresh air kit from JLT, and even insulating the return lines from the intercooler to the blower! Thats when i started wondering about the thin plastic intake tube that would heat up because it sits in close proximity to the exhaust manifolds. Could it be transfering this heat to the air passing through it? I hooked up my lap top and SCT 3 to the Shelby and drove around town to eatch the air temps at real time. Then i went home and wrapped the intake tube with some closed cell, 3/8 thick, aluminum backed insulation from Home Depot and drove the same course to see if there would be any changes. The outcome was that as you slowed down in traffic or came to a stop, the air temps would rise because the engine starts to pull air from the engine compartment. Of course this is the function of the cold air intake; to pull air coming from under the car or fender well area when it is moving. We all know that. Also, when the rpm's are up, the air moves through the intake much faster and actually cools the intake tube. Thats where things changed! Not allowing the intake to heat up in the first place! With it insulated, it kept the air temps closer to ambient longer. They would rise just a bit, slowly, and then drop as soon as you would start moving. Without the insulation, the temp would rise quickly and would take longer to come back down. I hope I didnt ramble on too much and as informative. Thanks so much for the response. Im really excited to be a part of this group and would love to meet some of the guys in my area. I live in Houston, Texas.

I'm surprised

Hey!! great to finally get a response! I was starting to think that this may not be as good an idea as I thought it would be!! Okay, let me start with; the quest for keeping the IAT's as close to ambient as possible, consistantly. After doing the most obvious: 185 deg. T-stat, bigger intercooler with fans, fresh air kit from JLT, and even insulating the return lines from the intercooler to the blower! Thats when i started wondering about the thin plastic intake tube that would heat up because it sits in close proximity to the exhaust manifolds. Could it be transfering this heat to the air passing through it? I hooked up my lap top and SCT 3 to the Shelby and drove around town to eatch the air temps at real time. Then i went home and wrapped the intake tube with some closed cell, 3/8 thick, aluminum backed insulation from Home Depot and drove the same course to see if there would be any changes. The outcome was that as you slowed down in traffic or came to a stop, the air temps would rise because the engine starts to pull air from the engine compartment. Of course this is the function of the cold air intake; to pull air coming from under the car or fender well area when it is moving. We all know that. Also, when the rpm's are up, the air moves through the intake much faster and actually cools the intake tube. Thats where things changed! Not allowing the intake to heat up in the first place! With it insulated, it kept the air temps closer to ambient longer. They would rise just a bit, slowly, and then drop as soon as you would start moving. Without the insulation, the temp would rise quickly and would take longer to come back down. I hope I didnt ramble on too much and as informative. Thanks so much for the response. Im really excited to be a part of this group and would love to meet some of the guys in my area. I live in Houston, Texas.

I'm surprised this idea wasn't brought to light sooner! Seems like it would be something that mustang parts supliers would be interested in selling. Are you offering a discount for Team Shelby members or an introduction price? What colors do you have?

Thanks

Thanks LuckySnake!! Yes, just for my fellow team members, I will give special pricing. Im just getting started with this and dont have the different patterns for all the CAI's on the market. Therefore, as certain ones are requested, i will have to make the pattern for it. Anyway, what intake would you like it for and what color? The colors are limited. They dont make many different colors in FR vinyl. They have red, blue, black and a charcoal grey. The first run of these Koozys I had made were really expensive to make. The shop I used took me to the cleaners. I ended up with 10 for the Steeda CAI that i may just have to sell for what I paid for them. I now have a place that has given me a way better rate. The price should be around $120, maybe less!

Bad Horse,

First off, thanks for the reply. Yes I plan on having it available for any CAI on the Shelbys including the 350's and well, anything with an intake tube. I will let you know as soon as I make it available. What year is your Cobra?

Speedyman,

WHen I was doing my testing on this, I drove the car for an hour around Houston in July. When I pulled into my driveway, I took the Koozy off and the intake was ambient temperature. The double sided aluminized Thermo-Tec insulation does a good job of insulating the intake from the under hood heat. Before using the Koozy, I would notice the intake would get very hot, especially towards the bottom where it faces the exhaust manifold. Your reply is very much appreciated. Its great to get feed back from you guys. Thanks!! So Speedyman, what color do you want?! Lol!!

Run with it! Focus on the track guys and gals as there always looking for an advantage over their competitors. With the track success it will trickle to the street. Maybe you can figure out a way to add a custom cold/freezer pack as well. I hope this works well for you.

Just remember guys where you saw it first.

Hey there msb64,

Those are some catchy names you came up with!! Yea, marketing is everything. I've been sitting on this idea for the past two years and finally decided to act on it. Just a man and his dream! Not trying to get rich, just want to do something that would contribute to my biggest passion; Shelby. I really admire guys like Justin Starky and of course Mr.Shelby. I just want to take part in all of this. Anyway, as of now, I have 10 for the Steeda intake to the 07-09 GT500. These are my first run and the shop that made them for me, made me start with that many. Thats okay, Ifound someone else that is working with me and understands my needs better. Better pricing and no minimum. What intake do you have and what color are you interested in? Thanks msb64!!!

Hello Ford Fest!!!,

Whatever I can do to help us beat the snot out of those Chevy guys!!! Thanks for your support. Trying to find some local events that I can showcase some stuff at. If you guys have any more ideas, please send them my way!! Thanks again!!!

Looks like a quality product. Looks to fit a stock tube? Have you measured any temperature differences yet?

Plans for 07 GT 500 JLT intake ?

That product may help on hot laps at the track. Make your run, ice the intake until ready to stage and apply the insulator. This sleeve will be virtually useless in daily driving as it will quickly assume the temperature level of everything else under the hood.

Looks like a good idea, but marketing can make a big difference.

Thinking maybe a name like Cool-N-Take or Cool'Take might be a little more appealing to the car crowd, just a thought.

Any info or links on pricing for it?

Run with it! Focus on the track guys and gals as there always looking for an advantage over their competitors. With the track success it will trickle to the street. Maybe you can figure out a way to add a custom cold/freezer pack as well. I hope this works well for you.

Just remember guys where you saw it first.

Hey guys, I think I have not been properly replying been to your posts!! I have not been "quoting" when I relpy. Hope you guys are getting my replies.

Hey guys, I think I have not been properly replying to your posts!! I have not been "quoting" when I relpy. Hope you guys are getting my replies.

We need something like this for the Shelby GT's (4.6 N/A).

Definitly!! It seems that the intake, being right above the radiator, picks up alot heat from it. I will get to work on making the pattern for the Ford Racing CAI that comes on the Shelby GT's. I will let you know as soon as its ready then we can discuss what color you may want. Thanks for the reply!!

Does the snug fit create any problems such as crushing the sleeve, distortion etc?

Not very much. After having it on for a few months, I removed it just to inspect it and there was a small indentation where the strut tower brace was pressed against it. Nothing to be worried about.

Hey guys,

Is there anyone in the Houston, TX area with a GT500 that would want a Koozy for their aftermarket intake? If you already have a Steeda intake, I would like to sell you one for the low price of $60!! I have 9 of them already made, in red blue and black. Just trying to get it out to the public. If you have a different intake, I can make the pattern off of it and sell it to you for the same price. That helps me get more patterns to stock. I'm only selling them at this price for new patterns and the 9 Steedas that I have now.

Archived