TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2012 SVT GT500 Suspension questions

AzSideWinder

Does any one know what model springs Ford uses with the 2012 SVT optioned GT500? I am contemplating changing out the springs in my 2012. They just ride to hard, I feel every single bump and groove on the road, and with the 9.5 tires it also seems to grab every groove spot pulling the car around when driving. A friend of mine changed his out to the Roush springs and they are so much better for ride quality, the only difference is his is a 2010. Im not looking for a Cadillac ride but what I dont like is the clunking sound my gt500 makes over every single imperfection in the road. Im just saying for a 55k car this should be slightly smoother. My Shelby has 1000 miles on it. I would just like to feel like the suspension will allow for more than absolute perfect roads, we all know there are no such thing anywhere. Anyone got some suggestions here? What have any of you done? Does anyone agree with me these very expensive cars ride like Sh%T!

Does any one know what model springs Ford uses with the 2012 SVT optioned GT500? I am contemplating changing out the springs in my 2012. They just ride to hard, I feel every single bump and groove on the road, and with the 9.5 tires it also seems to grab every groove spot pulling the car around when driving. A friend of mine changed his out to the Roush springs and they are so much better for ride quality, the only difference is his is a 2010. Im not looking for a Cadillac ride but what I dont like is the clunking sound my gt500 makes over every single imperfection in the road. Im just saying for a 55k car this should be slightly smoother. My Shelby has 1000 miles on it. I would just like to feel like the suspension will allow for more than absolute perfect roads, we all know there are no such thing anywhere. Anyone got some suggestions here? What have any of you done? Does anyone agree with me these very expensive cars ride like Sh%T!

I noticed the same.....my wife hates....(better for me, lol)....It was just installed the 1.25" FR lowering kit. I haven't had a chance to test it.....

I came out of a "99 Cobra and opted for the SVTPP on my "12. The ride is so much better than the '99 and handles like a dream. Bumpy roads will be a rougher ride, but that comes with package that Ford meant the SVTPP to be. My '99 had the Eibach sport springs, Steeda caster camber plates, sub frame connectors, after-market shocks, 2000 Cobra R wheels and a IRS brace to reduce wheelhop on hard exceleration. The '99 had a rough ride whereas the '12 feels firmly planted.

Im all for a firm ride, it just feels cheap and clunky to me. I was hoping switching out the springs or struts or shocks would make some sort of difference. Guess its just the way it is. my 06,07, 10 Mustang GTs were the same, I guess I expected more from the SVT package and the price. When I get in a Hyundai Accent and it rides smoother than my Shelby on the same roads it makes me wonder what I could do to improve ride quality. On perfect roads this is great its the rougher roads and bumpy ones that annoy me.

You might look at changing to a different tire. You won't be able to find an exact match for the fronts (if you keep the SVTPP wheels) but in my research on all-season tires I found that most people noticed a smoother ride with <Tire X> vs the stock Goodyear F1 G: 2s.

The SVTPP is meant to create a track-ready (ish) vehicle, not a smooth street/highway driver. New tires, I hear, can add daily drivability without sacrificing too much road performance. Still going to want the G: 2s for track days, probably. I don't plan to track my car (and probably wouldn't have opted for the SVTPP if I had the choice, but it was already on a car that was otherwise exactly what I wanted) so I'll be putting some high performance all-seasons on my 2012.

Good luck.

I came out of a "99 Cobra and opted for the SVTPP on my "12. The ride is so much better than the '99 and handles like a dream. Bumpy roads will be a rougher ride, but that comes with package that Ford meant the SVTPP to be. My '99 had the Eibach sport springs, Steeda caster camber plates, sub frame connectors, after-market shocks, 2000 Cobra R wheels and a IRS brace to reduce wheelhop on hard exceleration. The '99 had a rough ride whereas the '12 feels firmly planted.

I just came from a 04 Cobra with IRS and I thought it rode pretty nice for being lowered. My '11 SVTPP does ride stiff but its not too bad IMO. Im changing out the springs just to lower it alittle.

If there is clunking and other bizarre behavior, you should get the car to the dealer asap. That doesn't sound normal.

I feel the ride is firm and controls body motion well, but not harsh. A dramatic improvement over the mushy early models. It really does deliver a good compromise of ride quality vs track ability as that is what the PP was marketed to do.

Remember that you are running really low profile rubber, so blasting over potholes will send a shock thru the chassis no matter what.

*edit: I should add that my ride is going to get significantly worse as I have a GR40SS kit on order, however improving track prowess is a higher priority for me.

Silly question. Did you check your tire pressure? Many times dealers never lower them when they PDI the car. I have a 12 with SVT and it rides awesome and not cheap and clunky so something must be up and if the tires are at shipping pressure which is usually over 40 that may be it.

Mine have what the door sill specifies - 35 F and R. The markings on the tire are related to the load rating and treadwear properties of the tire (and its operating limits), but have nothing to do with correct pressure for the vehicle. Consider if you used the 80% of sidewall rule on the GT500 and a 'Vette (which conceivably could be shoed with the same tires). There is a 600lb weight difference between those two cars, and you'd get different tire compression and contact patches on each car. The Vette door will specify appropriate pressure for that car, as do our GT500s, so it's probably a better guide. Adjust as needed for your driving conditions, perhaps, and never exceed the listed maximum on the sidewall, but otherwise I think using the sill label as the baseline is a good idea. $.02

As for the ride, I think my SVTPP is about what I expected, though the tires are noisy. It definitely isn't a smooth roadway cruiser, or even a "sport touring" car like maybe a BMW 5-series. It drives like a street legal race car, which really is what the SVTPP is for. I ordered a set of Hankook Ventus V12 Evos (255/40 F, 275/35 R) today because I need am considering a set of cold-weather tires and a quieter, slightly smoother ride would be nice. If I decide to go to the track, I'll put the Goodyears back on. Edited 'cause I didn't actually get the tires. Still thinking about all-seasons, though.

I have a new 12 GT500 with SVTPP and find th eride a little stiffer then my truck but not bad. If you think 55K should be smoother try riding in a Ferrie F430 whioch is about 200K and not half as smooth as my GT500.

So what tire pressure are you guys running the Goodyear F1's on your 2012's? I have read tires should be 80% of there max??? mine are 35F and 37R with the staggered setup.

Yesterday I did a track day with my 2011 and another guy had a 2012 both with svtpp. We both liked running 34-35 psi all around.

So can anyone tell me what exact model springs are used in the SVT optioned 2012 GT500?

I don't understang your question when you say what "MODEL" springs.

They're the SVT Performance Package springs. That would be the "model"....

Phill

Part number .... perhaps?

You should be able to get that from Ford since it's a factory installed item.

I know that when you buy the SVTPP kit from Ford Racing, they give you the Ford Racing FR3 springs with the SVTPP shocks/struts but they're not the same springs a SVTPP car gets. The FR3 springs lower the car by about one inch more than the SVTPP springs do.

Phill

I'm confused AzSidewinder...you are looking to put SVTPP springs in your car or you have them already? :headscratch:

I agree with most on here that while the car does not have a "luxury" feel to it...it's beyond acceptable considering the car is geared towards performance and handling. It's not something that I find displeasing at all.

Weren't the tires made for that suspension? They are a race compound tire so if you change them, the car will not grip the road as well. Im referring to others saying to change to an all season tire. I also think the ride will be smoother with a different tire. my 03 cobra irs def takes bumps better imo and i have the regular gt500 suspension.

Weren't the tires made for that suspension? They are a race compound tire so if you change them, the car will not grip the road as well. Im referring to others saying to change to an all season tire.

Based on anecdotal evidence (me reading a whole bunch of forum posts, here and elsewhere), people have successfully switched from the G:2s (on SVTPP cars) to other tires and experienced improvements in non-track conditions. Better hook-up, no loss of standard driveability (including aggressive, but not track-level, cornering), improved road noise, and so on. I can't speak from experience, but most people I've read who switched to, say Continental DWSs, have been happy with the change. That said, I'm sure the G:2s will provide an excellent track experience on SVTPP rims and SVTPP suspension.

For my part, I doubt I'll be going to the track so I'm willing to trade some extreme performance for other improvements. Specifically in the case of cold, dry weather, like we've been having lately, high-performance all-season tires would undoubtedly give me better tire grip in all situations (even though they will be 10mm narrower front and rear). I drove the car to work today in 28 degree temps - drives OK, but fishtails in 1st and 2nd well before boost kicks in. I'm babying it around, but who cares - I'm babying a Shelby. :shades:

Something seems wrong. I have a 2012 with SVTPP and it rides so nice. Stiff enough for some nice street handling and I feel the ride is plush. Way better than my F250 and old Mini Cooper S. The ride is borderline as nice as the Lexus. It is no way noisy, clunky or anything like that.

I am changing to the BMR springs to lower it a bit and am concerned about the nice ride going away.

I have a 2012 with SVTPP and it rides so nice. ... The ride is borderline as nice as the Lexus.

Now there's a statement I didn't think I'd ever read. :D I guess it depends on the Lexus. We have a lot of potholes around here, and the GT500 does transmit every bump. But that's what I expect from a road-safe race car. I just need better cold-weather performance so I don't miss out on clear cold driving days in winter.

After sending back the Hankook Ventus V12's that I stupidly purchased (thinking for some reason they were all-season), I've got a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS on the way (255/35-19 and 275/40-20). I'll report back here on handling/ride changes.

Archived